Janet Jackson -- Making Michael Proud

9/13/2009 10:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

After a personal introduction from Madonna herself, a fully-clothed Janet Jackson took the stage at the MTV Video Music Awards to honor her late brother Michael.

Janet Jackson

In a routine reminiscent of Natalie Cole, Janet performed her part of the song "Scream" while a music video of Michael doing his part played in the background.

ADRIANA

What a great man MJ was, he LOVED THE WORLD WITH ALL HIS HEART, it was an UNCONDITIONAL LOVE and he really wanted to HEAL IT, STOP WARS and DESTRUCTION and have people find a common ground IN LOVE and GOODNESS and SHARING !

Michael, you were too good for this world, for the people here, for the decadence of the community around us. You are finally up with the angels, where you belong, may you RIP ! We will do our best to CARRY ON YOUR LOVE and SELFLESSNESS and teach it to our little ones....

ADRIANA

People he cared for abused his trust & deceived him, his father abused him verbally and physically; and, worst of all the media/press raped and stripped him of his dignity publicly and hounded him mercilessly. And through it all he SMILED!

I wonder how many of us would withstand the same introspection into our lives and how we would handle the pain. Before we case stones at MJ, we should imagine ourselves in his life and ask ourselves how would we manage it? Only GOD CAN JUDGE him, not us, RIP

j

I really love that speech from Madonna. Every word she was speaking from the bottom of my heart.

"All I could think about in that moment was I had abandoned him. That we had abandoned him. That we had let this magnificent creature who had once set the world on fire slip through the cracks. Most of us had turned our backs on him. ... There will never be anyone like him again. He was a king, but he was also a human being. Sometimes we have to lose things before we appreciate them... Long live the king," Madonna added.

I also enjoyed Janet, she really missed her brother.

youngdaze

...I bet Michael would have been happy to see his sister performing this song in honor of him...Wonderful job! I felt her strong emotions

ADRIANA

He made that CHANGE, he will never be forgotten:

"Man In The Mirror"

I'm Gonna Make A Change,
For Once In My Life
It's Gonna Feel Real Good,
Gonna Make A Difference
Gonna Make It Right . . .

As I, Turn Up The Collar On My

(You Gotta Get It Right, While
You Got The Time)
('Cause When You Close Your
Heart)
You Can't Close Your . . .Your
Mind!
(Then You Close Your . . .
Mind!)
That Man, That Man, That
Man, That Man
With That Man In The Mirror
(Man In The Mirror, Oh Yeah!)
That Man, That Man, That Man
(Take A Look At Yourself And
Then Make A Change)
Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!
Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Na Na,
Na Nah
(Oh Yeah!)
Gonna Feel Real Good Now!
Yeah Yeah! Yeah Yeah!
Yeah Yeah!
Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Na Na,
Na Nah
(Ooooh . . .)
Oh No, No No . . .
I'm Gonna Make A Change
It's Gonna Feel Real Good!
Come On!
(Change . . .)
Just Lift Yourself
You Know
You've Got To Stop It.
Yourself!
(Yeah!-Make That Change!)
I've Got To Make That Change,
Today!
Hoo!
(Man In The Mirror)
You Got To
You Got To Not Let Yourself . . .
Brother . . .
Stand Up And Lift
Yourself, Now!
(Man In The Mirror)
Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!
Aaow!
(Yeah-Make That Change)
Gonna Make That Change . . .
Come On!
(Man In The Mirror)
You Know It!
You Know It!
You Know It!
You Know . . .
(Change . . .)
Make That Change.

HumanNature

Thank You, Madonna!!!!

"Michael Jackson was born in August, 1958, so was I. Michael Jackson grew up in the suburbs of the Midwest, so did I. Michael Jackson had eight brothers and sisters, so do I. When Michael Jackson was 6, he became a superstar and was perhaps the world's most beloved child. When I was 6, my mother died. I think he got the shorter end of the stick.

"I never had a mother, but he never had a childhood. And when you never get to have something, you become obsessed by it. I spent my childhood searching for my mother figures; sometimes I was successful. But how do you recreate your childhood when you are under the magnifying glass of the world for your entire life?

"There is no question that Michael Jackson was one of the greatest talents the world has ever known. ... That when he sang a song at the ripe old age of 8, he could make you feel like an experienced adult was squeezing your heart with his words. ... That the way he moved had the elegance of Fred Astaire and packed the punch of Muhammad Ali. ... That his music had an extra layer of inexplicable magic that didn't just make you want to dance but actually made you believe that you could fly, dare to dream, be anything that you wanted to be. Because that is what heroes do. And Michael Jackson was a hero.

"He performed in soccer stadiums around the world, he sold hundreds of millions of records, he dined with prime ministers and presidents. Girls fell in love with him, boys fell in love with him, everyone wanted to dance like him, he seemed otherworldly, but he was also a human being. Like most performers, he was shy and plagued with insecurities.

"I can't say we were great friends, but in 1991 I decided I wanted to get to know him better. I asked him out to dinner: I said, 'My treat, I'll drive, just you and me.' He agreed and showed up to my house without any bodyguards. We drove to the restaurant in my car. It was dark out, but he was still wearing sunglasses. I said, 'Michael, I feel like I'm talking to a limousine, do you think you could take off those glasses so I could see your eyes?' He paused for a moment, then he tossed the glasses out the window, looked at me with a wink and a smile and said, 'Can you see me now, is that better?'

"In that moment, I could see both his vulnerability and his charm. The rest of the dinner, I was hell-bent on getting him to eat French fries, drink wine, have dessert and say bad words, things he never seemed to allow himself to do. Later, we went back to my house to watch a movie and we sat on the couch like two kids, and somewhere in the middle of the film, his hand snuck over and held mine. It felt like he was looking for a friend more than a romance and I was happy to oblige him. And in that moment he didn't feel like a superstar, he felt like a human being. We went out a few more times together and then for one reason or another we fell out of touch. Then, the witch hunt began and it seemed like one negative story after the other was coming out about Michael. I felt his pain. I know what it's like to walk down the street and feel like the whole world has turned against you. I know what it's like to feel helpless and unable to defend yourself because the roar of the lynch mob is so loud that you are convinced your voice can never be heard.

"But I had a childhood, and I was allowed to make mistakes and find my own way in the world without the glare of the spotlight. When I first heard that Michael had died I was in London, days away from the opening of my tour. Michael was going to perform in the same venue as me a week later. All I could think about in that moment was that I had abandoned him. That we had abandoned him. That we had allowed this magnificent creature that once set the world on fire to somehow slip through the cracks. While he was trying to build a family and rebuild his career, we were all busy passing judgment. Most of us had turned our backs on him.

"In a desperate attempt to hold onto his memory, I went on the Internet to watch old clips of him dancing and singing on TV and onstage and I thought, 'My God, he was so unique, so original, so rare. And there will never be anyone like him again.' He was a king. But he was also a human being and alas, we are all human beings and sometimes we have to lose things before we can truly appreciate them. I want to end this on a positive note and say that my sons, age 9 and 4, are obsessed with Michael Jackson. There's a whole lot of crotch-grabbing and moonwalking going on in my house, and it seems like a whole new generation of kids has discovered his genius and are bringing him to life again. I hope that wherever Michael is now, he is smiling about this.

"Yes, yes Michael Jackson was a human being, but dammit, he was a king. Long live the king."

Ben

Janet looked great, and she did a super job of working this in together. Wish it had been a bit longer, but otherwise, it was just awesome. The end of the video was so sad with she and Michael hugging...:(

Insanithy X 1.0

730. Insanity Says:

I am GLAD Madge spoke-She Did It With Such Grace. Again, I am glad that Dunk did not speak- there is no telling what would have come out of her mouth @ that moment-EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL!

*The LOOK ON HER FACE SAID IT ALL FOR ME!

Posted at 9:33PM on Sep 13th 2009 by Insanity 7.2 100% Truth

*HIS MUSIC WILL LIVE FOREVER...

TEAMBRANCA

Great Job Janet!

Thank you. It must have been difficult for her to prepare.

I loved Madonna's speech, absolutely loved it. It adressed Michael's needs as a person and she spoke to his having been abandonned by the US and media. Thank you Madonna, well spoken.

And as for Kanye---- NO CLASS AT ALL

susie

"Just a puppet on a lonely string
oh, who would ever want to be the king?"
stop, please, shame and cry.
I love you Michael, no!... I love you more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary

Madonna is an untalented whore. First off, this tribute was supposed to be for Michael. Why couldn't a black celeb give that tribute (One that actually knew him). He never cared for Madonna. Michael was always polite, but he knew that she was just another dumb white slut trying to screw him for fame.

It's funny that the stupid bimbo madonna actually tried to compare herself to Michael. Madonna face it, you are wealthy but nevertheless talentless! Everyone will continue to remember Michael, but when you die, you'll only get a little news clipping because you haven't done anything that's noteworthy!!!

I'm so tired of these dumb whites trying to steal our music. I love Kanye for speaking the truth to the white bimbo taylor swift. Bitch puhlease LOL you know that Beyonce is better :)

And--Janet (Ms. Rhythm Nation) rocked it as usual!!!!!

Luv you always Michael :) Rock On! xoxo

MiMi

62. Go girl. Janet nailed it. She look so sad when she was finished but we can all understand why.

Posted at 10:42PM on Sep 13th 2009 by Joann

----------------------------------------------

To me she looked pissed.

And she has every reason to be.

a fan

On MTV tonight we heard the most important thing that has ever been said about Michael Jackson by a public figure. I cannot emphasize how significant it is that Madonna did this for him because she is the only person in the entertainment field that is his equal. I just hope alot of people were really listening to every word she said. I am very grateful to her for saying this. It restores my faith in humanity.

MiMi

Insanity Says 2 MiMi:

Even if TMZ posted about Dude I would pay it any mind! Don't U understand this is what he wants! -LOL U Got That The Kanye Bashing 4 Me Is Done!

Posted at 10:42PM on Sep 13th 2009 by Insanity 7.2 100% Truth

----------------------------------------------

Me neither, but it would give those who would like to, a place to do it. :)

HumanNature

JANET WAS AWESOME!!!!

LONG LIVE THE "KING OF POP", MICHAEL JOSEPH JACKSON!!!!

SCREAM BY MICHAEL JACKSON

(michael)
Tired of injustice
Tired of the schemes
The lies are disgusting
So what does it mean
Kicking me down
I got to get up
As jacked as it sounds
The whole system sucks

(janet)
Peek in the shadow
Come into the light
You tell me I�m wrong
Then you better prove you�re right
You�re sellin� out souls but
I care about mine
I�ve got to get stronger
And I won�t give up the fight
(michael)
With such confusions don�t it make you wanna scream
Your bash abusin� victimize within the scheme
(janet)
You try to cope with every lie they scrutinize
(both)
Somebody please have mercy
�cause I just can�t take it
Stop pressurin� me
Just stop pressurin� me
Stop pressurin� me
Make me wanna scream
Stop pressurin� me
Just stop pressurin� me
Stop pressurin� me
Make you just wanna scream

(michael)
Tired of you tellin� the story your way
It�s causin� confusion
You think it�s okay

(janet)
You keep changin� the rules
While I keep playin� the game
I can�t take it much longer
I think I might go insane

(michael)
With such confusion don�t it make you wanna scream
Your bash abusin� victimize within the scheme
(janet)
You find your pleasure scandalizin� every lie
(both)
Oh father, please have mercy �cause I just can�t take it
Stop pressurin� me
Just stop pressurin� me
Stop pressurin� me
Make me wanna scream
Stop pressurin� me
Just stop pressurin� me
Stop *? !@#!in� with me
Make me wanna scream

(janet)
"oh my god, can�t believe what I saw
As I turned on the tv this evening
I was disgusted by all the injustice
All the injustice"
(michael)
"all the injustice"

(news man)
"a man has been brutally beaten to death by
Police after being wrongly identified as a
Robbery suspect. the man was
An 18 year old black male..."

(michael)
With such collusions don�t it make you wanna scream
Your bash abusin� victimize within the scheme
(janet)
You try to cope with every lie they scrutinize
(both)
Oh brother please have mercy�cause I just can�t take it
Stop pressurin� mejust stop pressurin� me