Madge & Kanye -- It's All About Me!

9/14/2009 10:11 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Jackson and Taylor Swift were honored last night at the VMAs -- but thanks to Madonna and Kanye West, you'd barely know it.

Madonna & Kanye
From Madge's opening speech, which was as much about herself as Michael, to Kanye's Taylor Swift diss, it was a self-serving night.

Our question for you ...

TEAMBRANCA

I LOVED MADONNA'S SPEECH

It WAS abouth Michael and the comparison was to make it personal.

Her speech was heartfelt and sincere.

Thank you Madonna. Well done.

Cris

Madonna's speech was spoken from the heart...and delivered exceptionally...yes, it had a personal touch which made it even more heartwarming to hear a humanizing, personal story, about these two pop megastars who had crossed paths...It was sincere and amazing!

Kanye's behavior was deplorable and should not be tolerated by MTV...he continuously shows his deep hatred and ugliness...

mjgirl

Well I do agee on the fact that she said too much about herself, but I did not find it disrespectful i think she did a good job. Kanye SUCKS

a fan

Madonna's speech was awesome!!!!!! I love her for having the courage to stand up and speak the truth to the media outlets and the spoiled celebrities who were listening. Only Madonna could honor him that way. It was very gutsy of her. I was never a Madonna fan before, but I am now for her tribute to MJ.

Josh

TMZ what the f is wrong with you, Madonna's speech was heartfelt, honest and from her own personal experience. I thought she did an amazing job and explained her personal connection to MJ and humanized him since he was this out of this world figure to so many. Madonna is probably his only equal when it comes to fame and I thought she was awesome, shame on you for dogging her. Kanye West is another matter, he's a complete d-bag and I hope his career tanks. Poor Janet Jackson was blacklisted and her career got sidelined after the Superbowl incident, hope the same thing happens to Kanye b/c he deserves it even more.

paupau

C'mon, i am pretty sure Madonna was told what to say, I dont think she has anything to do with the speech, she just stood up there and read it and I thought it was perfectly fine since she lost "her other half" being her the Queen of Pop... about Kanye... poor guy, he needs couseling!

Em

How weird that I thought the same thing about nasty Madonna last night.

"Michael Jackson was this....and so was I."
"Michael Jackson was that...and so was I."

Never liked her when I was a teen during her peak years.

Hearmeroar

I LOVED MADONNA's TRIBUTE TO MICHAEL JACKSON!!!! I cried, and she said it all - he was lonely and there was these witchhunts and everyone joined in the judgment zone with it - he was a humanbeing first and foremost and then and Icon in his own right. We love you Michael.

randi

I thought Madonna did a great job. I feel she was stating, in her own way, that she was just as guilty as the rest of the music industry of their turning their backs on MJ when he needed them the most. She didn't come right out and say it, but, that was my impression. I give her KUDOS for having the courage to get up there, where were all his other so called friends?
Give her credit for saying what she said. I felt it was truthful and heartwarming. There's always going to be people out there criticizing everything someone does regarding MJ. He was a great entertainer, a great human being. Do you see any other the other stars donating as much money as MJ has?

L

am i the only one who thought that Madonna's face looked a bit..i don't know. did she get some kind of injections or something to puff out her face. something just didn't look right....

donise121

I have to differ with you TMZ. Madonna's speech was great. Yes, while there were reflections and comparison to her personal life in her message, Madonna said what a lot of folks think, but are unwilling to open their mouths to say.

A huge portion of MJ's fan base deserted him over the years...beginning when his skin color began to change. I am black and I know this to be a fact. At some point the weirdness got to me and I, too, fell by the wayside.

Madonna told it like it was for herself, but I can assure it mirrored the thoughts of many others.

She handled herself with class from her attire to her message. Don't even think about mentioning her in the same breath as Kayne.

I have to agree with comments I have heard elsewhere on this topic. Kayne needs to be banned from award shows, period.

FO REAL

SCREW THEM BOTH. KANYE WEST NEEDS TO BE BOYCOTTED AND MADONNA NEEDS TO GO LIVE IN MILAWI.

L.S.

If I were Kayne, the very next morning when I woke up from my hangover, my first phone call would have been to the creators of South Park asking if I could voice my own character . . .

KMOD

I really, really liked Madonna speech. There is NO WAY that can be compared to what KW did.. NO WAY. For me, I truly respected Madonna for what she said - she spoke from a place of personal truth. KW is just an ass.

KCV

At first I thought it was a little too "me, me, me" but the more she spoke, the more I respected her for being honest. I thought she did a good job, especially when she commented that she had turned her back on him....not easy to admit.