« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Rev. Al:

Plaxico's Sentence

'Unusually Harsh'

9/23/2009 2:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Reverend Al Sharpton is coming out swinging against Plaxico Burress' 2-year prison sentence -- claiming Plax's punishment is "way out of proportion with the crime."

Rev. Al Sharpton -- Plaxico Burress
The Rev just sent us the following statement:

"I think it is an unusually harsh sentence for someone who was his own victim. He should be punished but his sentence is way out of proportion with the crime.

Celebrities should not be given special treatment but they should not be given exceptional punishments either."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Ike Frazier

This sentence is way out of line and it goes to show you how people with power can do anything they want. I can't stand New york their mayor is a jerk. Lets not forget about all those lying cops that sell dope after their shifts either.

mrez golucky

Yikes! Rev you must be joking!

Christy

Of course it is. I bet they made it harsh cuz he's black, huh Al? I'd call you Rev but that would mean you deserve respect.

sumo

Hey Rev. Al,
Go out and get a real job. You loser!

D

I to believe this is a harsh sentence. Hope he didn't pay his attorney a lot of money.

F. Attorneys

Hey Rev, why don't you come to Detroit and help lift your community you opportunist douchebag?

Deirdre B Pride

@#3, it's unually harsh because he "accidentally shot himself." Guess you have to be the effin Vice President to get off from shooting someone, even if it is himself.

Worried

Would he say the same if Burress was anything but black?

HUGO

I totally agree with his comments, Plaxicos sentence is way out of proprortion, the guy shot himself!! Still he gets 2 years of imprisonment?? I think people like Chris Brown deserve jail and Plaxico deserves community service only!

Christy

Re: #7
The VP accidentally shot someone while hunting - a normal place to have a gun. Burress shot himself in a public place that prohibits guns, especially unlicensed ones. Big difference.

and #8 - He wouldn't even get his lazy *ss outta his easychair unless he is black. I have NEVER seen him come out in defense of wrongdoing upon any other race.

Maybe this sentence is a little harsh, maybe like 5 years probation or something but I'm not the court, don't make the rules. I'm just glad they didn't look the other way.

Deirdre B Pride

@8, He has spoken about things that happen to other races, but he doesn't customarily speak of injustice for other races. You already know that this is what he does. He does this due to the frequent unfair crap that goes on. So don't even try it. If you wanna be real about it. How the hell did Chris Brown get community service for what he did and Plaxico received 2 years for accidentally shooting his damn self?

doesntmatter

And now Al will throw the black card out there. Come on, seriously!

vinny

Is this how the "reverend" gets paid. If he gets burresses sentenced lightend, does plax have to pay him? maybe rev if you REALLY went to a seminary school and became a ACTUAL REVEREND people might take you more seriously. Hey self proclaimed reverend
your a joke.

Deirdre B Pride

Posted at 1:58AM on Sep 23rd 2009 by Christy
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@9 so I guess you do see his point. That was the only point. Why is everything about race? If you read his statement, it was a comparison of celebrity not race.

Marc B.

I agree, Al. That's why you and other Demoncrats and most Northeastern Repugs shouldn't support strict gun laws. Sucks when one of your own receives a BS punishment because of your efforts, doesn't it?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments