Guy Claims He Helped Plan Balloon Boy Hoax

10/17/2009 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A man who claims he once worked for Richard Heene says Heene was obsessed with becoming famous, wanted to get his own show, and had an idea for a massive media stunt that involved a "weather balloon" that "resembles a UFO." Sound familiar?

Robert Thomas claims, in an interview with Gawker, that Heene believed such a stunt would "be the most significant UFO-related news event to take place since the Roswell Crash of 1947."

Thomas said Heene was "driven by ego and fame" after appearing on "Wife Swap." He says Heene's idea for a show was something like "'MythBusters'-meets-mad scientist."

Thomas says he worked for Heene from March through May 2009.

Thomas came out earlier in the day saying he had proof the entire incident was a hoax and wanted to be paid for it. Gawker openly admits they did in fact pay Thomas.

sleeper

Richard I hope you can get through all this. Just want you to know you and your family have friends out here who wish you all the best. I really mean it.

I am talking with a friend on the phone right now and she feels the same way.

ganbatte !!

oc

according to MSNBC, the sheriff has said that criminal charges will be filed

They were in it for the money

Me and Fred and Sally are STILL waiting.
Wheres the news conference? Im about ready to go pee pee in my panties

Lisa

Now a spokesperson? Can't lie on your feet? Oh yeah, we all saw t hat with Wolf Blitzer's interview LOL.

jerry

it is hoaxs, I don't know what's wrong with that local sheriff but he did every thing he could to convince the media and the public that it was real, I think he doesn't want the public to know that a this family trick his department, he can't that stupied to believe what happen was for real.

Lorelei Mission

Re "I told Falcon that someday we would be famous and have our own show and when that happened, he would have to hide in the attic to escape his fans." ... If THAT's what you said to your little child, what kind of father are you? Don't you know children process many statements literally? ...Anyway, having this kind of air balloon accessible to children was a safety issue. Child services should review your grounds.

Holly

That is NOT Richard Heene posting. He said his kids are homeschooled and they most certainly are not. They all attend public school. They were off that day for parent/teacher conferences. Poster who says he is Richard is a liar.

Nicole

MSNBC reporting criminal charges will be filed!!!

Good. Richard should not get away with this. His kids should be taken from him.

Lisa

LOL...Criminal charges are going to be filed? God I hope so! I hope they take away their kids. They are still young enough to be saved from this nutcase.
I hope they lose their home, these idiots don't deserve one after what they did, using all those resources of the county and country for this hoax. Millions of hard working Americans are out of work and these two do something like this.

Jeff

All this hate filled language directed toward these people remind me of mob mentality. Every looney toon that can be dug out of the closet is coming forth to attempt to dis credit him. You are not the judge and jury, you are just following what others say. America, land of hate, and disgusting ,pathetic people. Does it make you feel better to demonize someone? Are you better for it? Is your GUILTY conscious relieved? Oh sure, it is easy to tear someone down, how about your self. Collective insanity, I'm on his side,nothing has been proven, so am I a nut also, because I want him and his family to have an opportunity to be heard without all the hysteria. Are you jealous? Are you afraid he might attain to something that you can't? Did he personally harm you or is this all about better than thou? You reap what you sow and based on these comments of hate, you will be reaping lots of that your self. Did you know that the CPS can pick up you kids on an accusation by anyone? Doesn't have to be true. I could if I chose to do so, say that everyone posting hate filled language could present a potential physical threat to this family I would be very careful what I'm saying about all of that. He is lawyering up and rightly so. He that is without sin cast the first stone--

They were in it for the money

It's about time, now it gives him more time to escape or worse-do something bad to himself or his family. I'm afraid.

the world

Richard,
Just look in the Mirror .........you know what is the truth
and the truth will always prevail, WHY would have your children in on your own fight for fame at their expense? fight for the love, respect, and the honesty of your children.

bruce

MMMMMMMMMM.....Mob Mentality

Steve

I wish all the media would just pack it up and go home.

bob

# 9,,,,,,Geeks from the USA Dont NOT USE "METERS" as in: 200 meters from my house,only UK posters use This term,200 FEET is the way this IDIOT would put on his sign,,,,, This post of number 9 is a Hoax also