« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Cops: Lawrence Taylor Wasn't Blitzed

11/9/2009 11:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

lawernece tayorLawrence Taylor has a storied history of substance abuse, but Miami cops tell TMZ the NFL legend looked completely sober when he was arrested late last night.

Cops say despite his bloodshot eyes in the mugshot, Taylor -- who's been arrested twice on drug-related charges in the past -- was so coherent when he was arrested for hit-and-run last night , that officers didn't feel the need to perform a sobriety test.

As TMZ first reported, Taylor was busted after cops say he left the scene of a car accident. Cops believe Taylor hit another car and then a guard rail ... and then drove away from the scene.

We're told no one was injured.

Cops tell us when they found Taylor, he was standing outside of his car -- which was missing a front tire. The tire was found at the scene of the crash .. which means Taylor may have driven several miles on just the axle.

We're told Taylor was very cooperative when he was arrested -- he was eventually released on $500 bond.

UPDATE: We've learned Taylor was driving a white Cadillac Escalade and the vehicle he hit was a 1984 Ford van. Cops also tell us Taylor was arrested two miles from the crash scene ... where his front right tire was knocked off his car.

sports stars arrest

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Nix

Bllodshot eyes, hey why not give him the sobriety test. Also, he deserves punishment for sure as left scene of accident he caused. He didn't know when he left if anyone was injured or not, the other car was also damaged, I'm sure.

Tito Pacheco

Wow!! Bloodshot eyes!! Why not hang em' !!! Not! I'm not too happy about leaving the scene on an accident so I agree that action should be taken but Wow! If bloodshot eyes is a crime, pass me the VISINE!!!

RonBurgundy

Lawrence is a full blown crack addict that was obviously trying to evade arrest and my guess is ditch or finish smoking his crack. Driving around without a tire? Really?

Joe

"Cops tell us when they found Taylor, he was standing outside of his car -- which was missing a front tire"

Was the "tire" missing or was the entire "wheel" missing? A car can be driven on only the rim, you see it on COPS all the time.

Missy

Why would he be a spokesman for nutrisystem?? Also this story does not make any sense........

Tye Tanikk

Silly LT... you dont tackle other cars with ur car. Its calld driving Sir.

uhHuh

CELEBRITY FAVORITISM. ANYONE ELSE WOULD HAVE BEEN TESTED REGARDLESS OF THEIR 'COHERENCY" AFTER FLEEING THE SCENE OF A HIT & RUN (ESPECIALLY STUPID ENOUGH TO LEAVE YOUR TIRE BEHIND-MIGHT AS WELL OF LEFT YOUR ID/WALLET TOO)...COCAINE ALWAYS MADE ME CONFIDENT & 'COHERANT' TOO....

moveover

Drove several miles on just three wheels .... sounds perfectly normal to me! "Is there a problem, Officer?"

Somebody , shoot it! Quick!

Hey,you like to drink. Fine.I believe in getting drunk so much you can't stand up,let alone drive.
Tell your driver pick you up at x time. Call a cab,but if you are rich,call a limo.They have car services ,limos and Lincholns ,luxuriuous rides,and very strictly,qualified drivers to drive them from here to China ifthat is what the client wants.
I do NOT feel sorry for Lwrvence Taylor.Also,someone in his position,hire a staff/bodyguard just to stay four feet from him while he gets his grove on and to drive.

samantha

I agree, this is a very ignominious episode in Lawrence Taylor's life, whom had previously admitted to battling substance abuse and alcohol issues in the past. Obviously these problems continue to bedevil him, so hopefully he can get some help.

This doesn't sully my opinion of him as a football player. I can't think of anybody that played the game with more tenancity and heart than LT. He was a monster! Get well my friend.

Some Faustkateer

Yah, no need for a sobriety test, despite a car crash, poor judgement (fleeing) and bloodshot eyes. I'm befuddled as to why people don't trust the police..... I mean, this doesn't REEK of favortism, right?!? Surely you and I would get the same presumption of innocence. Do cops really expect to get away with this? Yes, I guess they do. And they probably will. It's Miami, after all....

terry

Musta been in the "bad" part of town since he hit a 1984 Ford van.

Some Faustkateer

#10, Moveover.... You made me laugh. Tee-hee.

Janet

He's a ball player people. A ball player.

the truth hurts huh

So HOW BAD A DRIVER could he be - to hit a van that hard - lose a
tire - hit a guard rail - and drive 2 miles without a tire?????

No other issues??? Just that bad - and stupid - a driver ????

Huh.