« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods Statement

'I Let My Family Down'

12/2/2009 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TW Statement
Tiger Woods
has just released the following statement on his website:

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.

Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means. For the last week, my family and I have been hounded to expose intimate details of our personal lives. The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.

But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.

Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone. I have given this a lot of reflection and thought and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Hubert

wasted days and wasted nights

Good for Tiger, clean is good.

dani

For all of you bashing me because I said, "he owed us"
I think, I proved my point. Otherwise, why would he come out and APOLOGIZE to his FANS?!?!?

And calling me a "Stupid Ass", did it make you feel better? YOU'RE A JOKE! You know who you are!

Mark

men with values and morals do not cheat on there wife. Tiger thinks he is all that because he can golf, oviously tiger uses others parts of himself to get a hole on one, then a golf club.

His wife should leave him and take him for all she can..No One is perfect, but that mistake there is no excuse for..Keep your balls in your pants..You take the name Tiger seriously...

Woods public persona is going to get judged by the public becasue when your in the public eye, you are or should be a example and Tiger is a good example for what NOT to be.

opi

Tiger said "I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means."

BOO HOO! He's been a celebrity for 13 years! Scrutiny comes with the job. It's the worthless sports press that NEVER scrutinized ANYTHING he's said or done, just kissed his ass! No wonder Tiger thought he could get away with ANYTHING without getting caught.

NANCY

"the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family." so says Tiger. Well, then, KEEP THE INTIMATE STUFF WITHIN YOUR OWN FAMILY!!!!!!!

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0YXuuFeTj

db

Let's get this straight: You can collect BILLIONS in endorsements and put your face out there in the public domain as long as you're getting paid for pretending you have a squeaky clean wholesome image that children everywhere should emulate. But when the media exposes that you aren't who you have portrayed yourself to be they are at fault? If only the media did half as good a job exposing our corrupt government officials as they do celebrities....

Joe

Too bad he got caught, sounds like he was scoring a lot!

Steve

I'm afraid you can't have it both ways Tiger, you can't be out in the public to sell the products you get paid millions to endorse, but when the publicity doesn't go your way slam the "tabloids" for reporting on your extra marital activities. You gave up yours and your family's "measure of privacy" when you cashed that first endorsement check.

Victoria

It was only a few days ago that he was blasting the affair rumors as "malicious" and fabrications.

He's just really really angry he got busted. Sorry, pal, if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Only marry foreign women

if you're a guy never marry

montereyliving

Well Tiger, if you want privacy, become an accountant. You made the the choice to become a professional golfer, guess what you are in the public eye, punk. Oh yeah, if you were an accountant, you would not of had a chance with any of these women, so shut your mouth and hand over half!!!

L337M4573R

*facepalm*

Brian

I feel so sorry for Elin - I've been through this recently with my husband, and it's gut wrenching to find out that the one you've been faithful and devoted to has been anything but it return. I hope she's got the support of family and friends, and I hope she's got enough self worth and self respect to leave him....I don't.

Posted at 10:31AM on Dec 2nd 2009 by Michele

Michele, it isn't easy to do, but do it. You will be happier & find that self worth!! It's easier to stay, take it, & suffer in self pity. Your kids will suffer too, they will respect the Mom that does the hard, right thing. Also, they won't do or accept the same when they are older. Do it for them if not for yourself.

Ryan

"no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy."

what about the important deep principle of remaining faithful to your wife and children. and i'm sorry but you waive some of your rights to simple privacy when you decide you are going to start making billions of dollars as a celebrity and public figure.