« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods Statement

'I Let My Family Down'

12/2/2009 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TW Statement
Tiger Woods
has just released the following statement on his website:

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.

Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means. For the last week, my family and I have been hounded to expose intimate details of our personal lives. The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.

But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.

Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone. I have given this a lot of reflection and thought and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

An Observer

The minute you choose to make millions of dollars a year off your public persona you've sold the right to be perfect in public/do whatever you want in private and not be called on it. The true measure of a person comes with how they handle the tough stuff. Letterman owned up to it and thereby gained control of it. Those who "just want their privacy" after they've made obscene amounts of money off their publicity only create more scrutiny (and rightfully so).

What happened to Honor & Integrity?

When celebrities willingly endorse products and court the media, they intentionally place themselves in the public eye. The understood implication is that the celebrity is worthy of emulation by the public. Therefore, it is unrealistic for celebrities--especially those who have made millions through endorsements--to think that they could turn off the public's interest and fascination whenever they please.

Tiger Woods is a fool if he thinks he is above moral scrutiny; he is a married man who openly betrayed his marriage vows and foolishly left behind electronic evidence (texts, voice messages, photographs, etc.). His character is now in question because he has been revealed as a liar and an adulterer. "Too bad, so sad" if he thinks his privacy is being invaded. I have no pity for him!

LAWRENCE

Much ado about nothing. He slept with a few losers who decided to cash in and will be broke within a year. His sponsors won't drop him, his fans "deserve" nothing and last time I checked he has a billion dollars. He will come back to the tour next year, play harder than ever, blow away the rest of the field as usual and life will move on. I've never see so many jealous people in my life and I'll assume the rest are racists. How anybody can call having sex twenty times over thirty one months an affair is laughable and if US Weekely or whatever trashy tabloid it was paid that skank $100,000 it was $99,999 too much. Let it all die down, people have relationship problems everyday, no reason to hate this guy any differnt, he just swings a club for a living.

utchic49

OK NOW TMZ... HE'S TALKIN TO YOU. LEAVE HIM AND HIS FAMILY ALONE NOW!

LilDarlin

POST NUMBER 28,

Very well said, and I would hope Tiger takes your advice.
By the way,...your quote Skye, is so true.
It would be good for Tiger to take your advice.

Bianca

NorCal

Ha ha! So now Tiger's all about "protecting his family"? When did family-protection mode kick-in, Tiger? Was it when you were picking up chicks in Vegas? Were you protecting your family at that hotel in Australia? When you were wrapping your SUV around a tree? I really want to know when you became Mr. Family Protector.

Sorry, Tiger, it doesn't pass the smell test. You forfeited your right to privacy on this one.

tenn

WHAT WOULD YOUR FATHER THINK? WOULD HE BE PROUD OF YOUR BEHAVIOR?

KELC

Sounds like he is admitting that he was unfaithful to his wife, I have lost respect for him.

Jomica Man

He realizes what he did wrong and has acknowledges this to the one and only person, and that is his wife. I agree with his effort to keep the matter personal and far away from the public. As a person in his position, many feel he owes it to the masses to share the details. I for one say bulls**t, why should he. We all need to look into the mirror and ask ourselves if we would want the world to know something that in essence, is a very private and personal matter. Hey Tiger, do what you have to do to mend that very delicate fence with your wife and stay true to what you just posted.

doc murry

BUDDY AFTER YOU ACCEPT MILLIONS OF DOLLORS FROM THIS SO CALLED PUBIC YOU HAVE NO PRIVACY AND BEING AS WE THE PUBLIC BROUGHT ALL THAT CRAP YOU ENDORSE YOU DO INDEED ANSWER TO US YOU MAGGOT..DONT PLAY THE MY FAMILY NEEDS PRIVACY CRAP,,IF YOU TRUELY BELIEVED THAT YOU NEVER WOULD HAVE DONE WHAT YA DID,,WHY EVERYTIME THESE PEOPLE PLEAD FOR FORGIVENESS AFTER THEY GET CAUGHT ..HMMMMMMMM SOUNDS LIKE BALOGNEY TO

Donna

Well, there goes another famous couple heading for divorce.
I guess his wife and children don't mean as much to him as an easy lay or lays.
Tiger has it all & it still not enough, how sad !!!!

London Girl

"The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect".

You still protecting the viking? I guess it's the least you can do. I hope you double bagged your togger.

Maureen Heim

Just like Eddie Murphy said in Raw... "Eddie, I want haaaallff your money!!"

Actually, very well written statement from a PR perspective. He must have hired some very good crisis communications advisors.

A fan

Confession is good for the soul, Tiger.

Anytime you make decisions that involve another person, someone else knows and can tell the world about it. Let this be an example to all cheaters, it can happen to you!

I'll take half and the children, SEE YA, go play the field.

Brian

I understand Trojan wants him as a sponsor now. Elin better hope he is familiar with them!