« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods

Breaks from Golf

Admits 'Infidelity'

12/11/2009 8:48 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

BreakTiger Woods has just announced he'll be taking an "indefinite break" from golf -- and for the first time, he admits to acts of "infidelity."

Woods just released the following statement on his website:

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children. I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try.

I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding. What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.

After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person.

Again, I ask for privacy for my family and I am especially grateful for all those who have offered compassion and concern during this difficult period
."

UPDATE: Golf fun fact -- when Tiger was out of golf for eight months last year while recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, TV ratings dropped 50 percent while he was out of commission.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

vintagewhatever

Pulz. Golf has nothing to do with his "infidelity". He is a prick and always will be whether he plays golf or not. I think he doesn't want to play because he can't stand not being loved and adored. He will wait awhile until the scandal goes away or his marriage ends and then he will make a comeback. He will continue his cheating no matter what he does for a living.

RUN ELIN RUN. Your kids do not need you to be married. Tiger can still see them and be a good father (if he wants to) if you don't live in the same house.

Jack

Needs a break from playing golf, you poor baby. I feel for you. So you won't be at the Master's in April? That would be one of the first tournaments that you would play anyway. So exactly what are you saying? That you are going to do the same thing you do every year but expect us to believe that you are taking time to heal with your family. You can't change your stripes Tiger. It's over. Respect from the fans, your family, it's over.

LC

He missed apologizing to his mother.

LGB

Thank you Tiger - I am so proud of you. You needed to do this. Please, focus all of your attention on Elin and your children. I forgive you as I hope most people will. It is now up to you to prove yourself and to win Elin's trust again. You need to prove to her that you are changed man. That will be the most difficult part of this entire or deal. Still there is no excuse for your behavior, however you are human. Take the time you need. With that being said you need to stay away from the party life. I think you can say you have had your fill of running. God Bless you and your family.

PolarBear

I also agree, Nike writes slick little PR statements to cover Tiger's sick stupidity.

There will be no forgiveness, you miserable lying prick.

Me!

Let's get with the program, children.
She will be leaving him soon.
As the saying goes, it's not "if", but "when".

And that's coming soon.

hmmm

This guy's pr is so bad. I would tell him to get a divorce, play good golf, and move on with his life. Unless he really loves the wife. he doesn't owe us an apology. I don't even watch GOLF for goodness sake!

Jomica Man

He'll need a considerable amount of time to heal the hurt he caused his wife. Most importantly, he needs to acknowledged to himself that he has a sex addiction problem. If he was single, this would not be a big problem, though he plays Russian Roulette by not wearing condoms, which also was very irresponsible and dangerous to his wife. I see ounseling in Tiger's future for a long time to come, especially if his wife decides to divorce. I would imagine that millions would not be too surprised if it ends that way. He brought this on his own with much help from his paid help/friends.

Dave

A major waste of time. Let me get this straight . . . . he's going to be happy going from being the world's biggest sports superstar, jetsetting around the world with a hottie in every city . . . . . to a boring secluded homelife with Elin? Give me a break. Just get the divorce so he can get back to golf. He's nothing without it.

Not me

We all deserve the opportunity for redemption. Whatever will be will be.

cochino

so can TMZ now indefinately STFU about this????????

Sloane

First of all, yes what Tiger did was wrong, however who can stand in judgement of him? None of us are perfect...yes some take wrong to a higher level, but we are still not in any position to judge this M A N! I find it extremely funny that the media states its concern over his mental state and whether he is suicidal or not and then in the very next breath state another vixen has come forward! Give this personal matter a break...find some worth while news to report...and for Tiger, get your heart and house in order...life is too short...be true to you and those within your immediate family! Remember the trails of President Clinton...he was our President and he made (in my opinion) the biggest mistake but take a look at him now...he holds he head high and keeps it moving forward...You will have no problems doing the same!!! Above all...remember and know that misery loves company, thats why so many people have so much to say; for them its better to focus on your drama rather to handle theirs! Blessings to you and your family...you wrap your attention into them...you don't owe anyone S H I T of an explanation!

AStorm

Still don't feel sorry for him. He had unprotected sex with these women and his wife. And, to think they were the only woman. If he's cheating on his wife with another woman, trust me...you are not the only one, sweetie. What idiots!! I don't know why people are so shocked or surprised about Tiger's affairs just because he’s quiet. The quiet ones are the ones you need to watch more closely. Plus, he's an athlete! I believe his wife should renegotiate the prenup. To leave voicemails and send text messages to have that person use it against you someday is stupidity for anyone. The risk of being married to a celebrity actor/singer or professional athlete is 10x greater than married to the average man working in a convenience store. I wouldn’t want it for the world. I don’t care how much money they have. It’s too much drama and stress. I can do that on my own without a celebrity’s help. The humiliation these women have to be exposed to for the world to see, and not to mention the much greater risks for diseases to them and their children. Do you really think these athletes are using protection with most of these women? Of course not! I live in Vegas. People come here to forget about reality and indulge in fantasy. It’s like a playground or candy store here. If a woman wants to marry into the celebrity lifestyle, know what you’re getting into and take my advice: Instead of getting a ring on it, make sure you get a cheating clause in your prenup. Catherine Zeta-Jones did it, and she is a celebrity in her own right!

Bonnie

Of course the tour doesn't pick up until April. Plenty of time for repairs.

TRACKER

elin.take the money and run,he,s a dog.not gonna change...just freaking out about his finances.....you deserve better.....