« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods

Breaks from Golf

Admits 'Infidelity'

12/11/2009 8:48 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

BreakTiger Woods has just announced he'll be taking an "indefinite break" from golf -- and for the first time, he admits to acts of "infidelity."

Woods just released the following statement on his website:

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children. I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try.

I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding. What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.

After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person.

Again, I ask for privacy for my family and I am especially grateful for all those who have offered compassion and concern during this difficult period
."

UPDATE: Golf fun fact -- when Tiger was out of golf for eight months last year while recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, TV ratings dropped 50 percent while he was out of commission.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Steve

Tiger, one of your skanks at the bowling ally just texted back. Yes she can meet you 15 minutes after you release your latest statement of LIES on your website. She said she'd bring the red wine if you bring the Ludes.

older guy

I'm glad he's finally doing something sensible. : )

I would also suggest he not try holding any "newcomers" back. Let everything come out. Pictures and all. Get it over with. People will tire of this eventually and move on to the next scandal. Unless he murdered someone in secret (hopefully he didn't) he's three quarters of the way to the bottom. Given enough time (like maybe a year) most will forgive and forget. Jack Nicklaus thinks so.

He's only 33. There's plenty of time left for golf.

He faces a big challenge ahead, and it's his heart, mind and soul. Will he look deep and understand what he's done? Will he see this episode as his greatest failure and yet in some way maybe also his greatest gift? Can he become a better human being because of it?

Only he knows the answer. For the sake of his family, I hope he makes it.

PolarBear

If I had a crystal ball to see what Tiger's up to 24/7 from today onward, I'd bet a good deal that he's got himself another new barmaid before the end of December.

Let's make it a 50-50 draw. Proceeds go to Elin, or a defence lawyer for the other women if Nike chooses to try to shut them up with a threat of a law suit. I'm expecting Nike or some other sponsor to try something underhanded, so BEWARE, YOUNG WOMEN, THE SHADOWS ARE NOT SAFE. Nike. Aren't they the jungle sweatshop company?

Gloria Allred better have her anticipatory thinking cap on. Tiger has made a lot of money and his presence at a tournament is a major boost to golf viewership (used to be, anyway). The truth needs protecting, the women Tiger fooled around with need protection and Elin most of all needs protection.

mlv

Give me a break! Work on repairing the damage to your family, after getting sex everywhere with everyone, your not gonna give it up, don't care how hard you try, you'll just be more discreet this time around!!

brent

Shut up you over paid golfer. try a real life and a real you job. No one cares.

whoops

I divorced my former spouse for cheating. It was more the deceit and betrayal via the gaslighting and constant lying, which was far worse than the infidelity itself. No one likes to be toyed with. No one likes to look like a fool. No one likes a liar. A lot of people have wound up here looking foolish. I wish Mr. and Mrs. Woods the best. Only the two of them can decide what should, or should not, be done next.

AZ

I doubt we'll ever see his sorry a$$ again. He'll give up golf before he'll endure any sort of public humiliation.

reese

wow, I really hope he is sincere, because damage coukd always be worse.........he wouldn't b the first man and he is not the last. Many of our husbands did the same, many of us don't know about it, none of them have near his looks, and he is just ok, or the money...in any event.. It is never to late to do the right thing...elin should not expect much though..the best predicotr of pafuture behavior is past behavior...it's too bad, but he should man up and do everything necessary to be the man the public thought he was, perhaps elin could separate until tiger has went some time and proved he is rehabilitated, I wouldn't even dare take a chance until he passed a few lie detector tests after a year proving he could keep it in his pants and was disease free, you wanna play, you gotta pay but I have standards and that is rare

Mike Tyson

This brutha is pissin' the rest of us off. Lyin' little girlie-man brutha.-

Fred Farkel

Poor sumbitch is all humble now and going to try and do the right thing. You know. Find God and everything.

OK. Fine.

I mean... what else can he do????

Oh yeah.

There's one other choice Tiger and Team Tiger can consider:

Cut your loses and RUN LIKE HELL.

Tiger's Help Sucks Too

He should have taken a break from screwing everything in a skirt.
Now, the best thing he can do is give his wife a generous divorce, let the kids grow up normally (with her, away from him, the so-not-a-role-model jerk) and go on with his sleazy ways by himself.
He dragged his entire family: parents, wife, kids, inlaws - through his own disgusting muck. The best thing he can do now is stay away from decent people.

prince

AS A GREAT FAN, GREAT DECISION IN DEED, TIGER.

PLEASE DO US ALL A FAVOUR. STOOOOOP
TELLING US TO RESPECT YOUR PRIVACY. YOU DON'T DESERVE
ANY PRIVACY FROM NOW ON. THE PRIVACY THING MADE YOU
A LAIR AND A CHEAT.
REMEMBER, TIGER, YOU WERE NOT RICH IN THE BEGINNING.
YOU AND YOUR DAD USE TO GO AROUND BEGGING FOR SPONSORSHIP
MONEY, AND I CONTRIBUTED.
I'M DEEPLY HURT BY YOUR CRAP.
AGAIN, DO NOT TELL US ABOUT YOUR STUPID PRIVACY, OK.

Good Job Elin!

VERY SAD! Everything that he worked so hard for, is now down the toilet!

Just so so sad!!!! Just goes to show you how your life can change within mins!

I wish TIGER AND HIS FAMILY THE BEST

who dat

Harvey,

It's well established Tiger was bangin hos' in Vegas like the world was comming to an end. Ever thought of which "business expense" these sessions are itemized under on his tax forms???

Maybe "physical therapy", related to a work injury.

lets get to work on that.

Dave

They asked Phil Mickelson if he had any comments on Tiger taking a break from golf. Phil replied . . . . YESSS!!!!!!. . . YESSSS!!!!. . . WHOOOHOOOO!!!. . . . YESSS!!!. . . . then calmly said "we'll really miss him out there"