NBC Shakeup -- Jay Leno Comes Out on Top

1/7/2010 5:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jay Leno is going back to his 11:30 PM time slot, and it's looking like Conan O'Brien is the odd man out ... sources tell TMZ.

Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien

We've learned Jay's 10:00 PM show will go on hiatus February 1. After the Olympics, Jay will take back his 11:30 PM time slot. What has not been decided -- whether Jay's show will be a half hour, followed by Conan, or whether Jay's show will be an hour and NBC says sayonara to Mr. O'Brien.

We're told Jay and Conan have both been told of the changes. As for Jay, interestingly, he'll get what he always wanted -- his 11:30 PM time slot.

Jay Leno pictures

Mike S

Putting Leno on a show before Conan was a disservice to the Tonight Show franchise.
Leno needs to retire and stay retired.

Pete

I actually enjoy watching Fallon :( hope he doesn't disappear.

Vale

That would be SO dirty of NBC to do that. I wouldn't watch Leno if they did that to Conan...who is, by the way, much funnier than Leno.

Ha

I bet you the new company behind NBC has a hand in this. First this company provides crap services to its existing customers and now this. Conan is funnier than Leno. I thought Leno retired? What happens to Conan now? I do hope Conan sues the crap out of NBC and goes somewhere he is appreciated. If you want to read learn about the late night wars I recommend The Late Shift by Bill Carter. It was also made into a HBO TV movie in 1996.

lbc

So NBC is going to try to cover up their mistake by canning Conan? This is ridiculous. Conan is the best!!!!!!

RadioDC

This is just messed up Leno's ratings were tanking and Conan should have been the foundation for demos in the next few years. Thinking long term! After all the older people pass on, no offense! Stupid NBC want quick fixes!!

Artrina

Conans ratings at 11:30 were worse than Jays at 10. I think it will all come down to who had the better lawyers writing their contract - Jay or Conan.

keekers

Jay has got to go!! Conan and Jimmy must stay, they make my night!

natalie.j.huber

Leno is angry and boring...

Conan is the man.

rob

Jay is about as funny as cancer. I knew they would try to revamp his show before getting rid of it. I'm guessing NBC felt they owed him at least that. After I saw the first episode of the revamp, I knew he would be gone. Bye-bye Jay! Don't let the door hit you in the ass!

woundedduck

NBC, The "Let's Just Keep Trying Gimmick After Gimmick Until We've Sucked All Life Out of Talent" Network

Tootsie

Way to go,Jay! Conan sucks! Conan is just so dull!

karma

NBC is so stupid and greedy, they will try to fill Leno's early time slot with a reality show starring none other than that effing beast Kate Gosselin! They have been svcking at her teat riding the drama ratings and buying her BS all along.

sarah

this is lame. NBC is just a mess right now. sorry to tell you leno, but you're done. you weren't funny the first time, you're not funny now. it's time for you to move on. conan is hilarious and is the new tonight show, and fallon is the new late night. no room for you. maybe you could take carson daly's spot? in any case, i don't watch daly either so i wouldn't care if you moved back there.

keith

This is one genie that cannot be put back in the bottle. While it was a mistake to replace front runner Leno with Conan now that the change is made they cannot go back. Leno has been tarnished by his performance at 10:00 PM. If Leno goes back to 11:30 I doubt he can reclaim his lead