« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Chicago Bears Star

Dies at 26

1/17/2010 2:02 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Gaines AdamsChicago Bears defensive end Gaines Adams died this morning in South Carolina. He was 26.

Adams was rushed to the emergency room at Self Regional Hospital in Greenwood, S.C. where he was pronounced dead at 9:00 AM, according to ESPN.

UPDATE: Greenwood County Coroner James T. Coursey said the preliminary autopsy performed Sunday indicated Adams died of cardiac arrest caused by an enlarged heart.

The Chicago Bears released a statement that says: "We are stunned and saddened by the news of Gaines' passing. Our prayers are with his family during this difficult time."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

five40sixam

R.I.P. It is such a shame to see a life lost so young. My prayers are with this family, and wishing them strength in these hard times.

Joelocalpt

#5, no such thing as working too hard.

april

Being in the home town where he was and from, it is not steroids. I will not say what, but it will come out. He was out at a local club last night and the ones saying it wasn't a loss needs to be ashamed. No matter the cause this was a son, a father , etc. It is still a tragic loss for his family. For the Haiti comment, I do feel sorry, but I also feel sorry for our own Country, where we have children that need a home and food.

Scott

Good to see TMZ Sports broke this like 60-90 minutes after everyone else (sarcasm). You guys are on the ball for most news... but Sports News... you have to get your butt in gear... I kept refreshing waiting to see how long it took. I gave up after realizing TMZ Sports isn't worth my time right now. I'm excited for the day TMZ actually starts breaking sports news instead of just posting it an hour after everyone else is talking about it. Heck, you could have at least got a pic of him in a Bears uniform.

inurtrash

And another one bites the dust.....

suzy

STEROIDS KILL

DeeWA2009

SO.... SAD! Prayers to his family. I lost my 25yo son in 2004 to impaired driver. Losing a child is ABSOLUTELY THE WORST. Real tragedy. I hope & pray there's no nonsense involved.
RIP Gaines

april

Regardless the cause, a family is hurting. Prayers are with his family. Thanks for serving Greenwood and the TIGERS!

Gord C

While autopsy results may be kept private, this looks an awful lot like it was caused by anabolic steroids. I had a friend who also died young from taking steroids over a period of time.

Users often raise the dosages in the off season because it takes care of the season's nagging injuries quickly. Allows more effective and positive physical training results. And in the offseason there is little chance of testing, although the NFL testing probably isn't meant to catch anyone. NFL drug testing is a joke.

a412girly

My vote is on steroids and cocaine.

mia

Hey, remember McGwire said he used steroids to come back from injuries. Enlarged heart is one unfortunate side effect of steroids.

Aren't these guys routinely checked by team doctors?? You think they would be, with all of the millions of $$ at stake. I can't imagine Gaines didn't have any symptoms. Didn't any of the team doctors know he was having problems???

a dude

Peculier i say, yees

disturbed

I'm very sorry to hear about this untimely death.
It's a reminder of how precious and delicate life is.

Kasey

Gaines, I saw you at the bar in Greenwood a few months ago while you were on break & your shining smile never left your face, not even for a second. You're an incredible person who had such an incredible talent & you made us Clemson fans proud, & us Greenwoodians. I remember during Clemson's bowl game, I kept saying, "I miss Gaines Adams. He got stuff done."
RIP.