John Edwards 'Sad' about Separation with Wife

1/27/2010 8:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

John edwards separated from his wife ElizabethJohn Edwards has confirmed ... he's separated from his wife, Elizabeth Edwards, calling it an "extraordinarily sad moment."

News of the separation comes only one week after John admitted to fathering a child with his mistress, Reille Hunter, back in 2007 ... around the same time Elizabeth was diagnosed with breast cancer.

John and Elizabeth have been married since 1977.

More John Edwards

Loud and talentless

Hey Johnny? Can you come out to play in your empty garden? Johnny ...

This guy would be the perfect room-mate for Christie Brinkley's ex, Peter Cooke. Let Sheen sleep on the couch and you've got a whole house fool of BS-ers.

I hope he is imprisoned for using donations for private expenses, (like paying off mistresses). It would MAKE MY DAY! The word "liar" was invented for this P*ick.

Tracy

What a douche bag!

Susan

You are a pitiful example of a husband.

You have totally been so self-centered that you would do this to your wife.

You are worthless -

I am so thankful that you didn't win any elections - because you don't deserve anything

Lillianne

extraordinarily sad he got caught is more like it.

SUE

He makes my skin crawl, and he always has. When this story first came out, he went on TV and said "Elizabeth is the finest person i have ever known". All i could think of is "if this is how you treat the finest person you have ever known, how would you treat her if you hated her???".
I have preordered Andrew Young's book about him, and i encourage everyone else to, also. He makes Jon Gosselin look like a great guy.

lisa

good she should have left him along tome ago

lolokailey

I THINK THE WRONG PERSON LAY DYING IN A CHEMO CHAIR HERE....
JOHN EDWARDS YOU ARE A HORRIBLE BASTARD AND I HOPE YOUR WIFE HAUNTS YOUR FILTHY ASS AND THE ASS OF YOUR WHORE!!!

bka62223

John Edwards: " Well ya know what, gosh all mighty, that's just, well, sad." " I mean I understand that I was messing around on my wife, instead of really focusing all of my attention on being a loving partner to a woman with a fatal disease and all. " " And I know that, at the same time, she dedicated herself to my fruitless presidentail campaign, running herself into the ground in the process. " " And you know the whole kid thing, well, I could see where that might be a little hard for her to accept. " " And I know that I'm a self-centered, self-obsessed, egomaniac and all. " " But jeez Louise, her seperating from me!!! " " Well... I'm not gonna say I think that's understandable. " " That's just, well... sad. "

lisa_rzepnicki

He's a total douchebag and I'm glad she finally realized that she deserves better than that!

SICK OF IT

I have know John for 10 years. Yes he is a complete idiot. However if all the folks in DC that HAD NOT been unfaiful go home probably one or two would remain. Good old Harry because he is just plain ugly but that is abut it. A prerequisite for our officials is chemical casteration. WEE WILLY can not think when he is in a dark place. You really need disposable gloves when you shake hands with these peole so not to spread their germs.

bka62223

IT'S NOT SAD YOU BASTARD; IT'S WONDERFUL THAT SHE FOUND THE STRENGTH TO LEAVE YOUR UNFAITHFUL, UNCARING, LYING, PATHEIC EXCUSE OF A HUMAN BEING ASS!!!

ducksux

The most pathetic human around! He will NEVER hold another public office and the site of him makes me want to vomit! She is not totally without fault. She joined in on the lie to the American public stating what a decent man he was as he was trying to be POTUS. Sick, wealthy people that will do ANYTHING for power and don't care WHO it affects!!

JLS

I am heartbroken for her. To face what lies ahead without a husband she thought she had is just devastating. I've been married 40 years this year. Pretty scary!

sam

Your child will want NOTHING to do with you! You might as well kill yourself now.

catwoman

What an Ass!! Good for her, she deserves so much more than that. he's a loser