Simon vs. Ellen - They Don't Idolize Each Other

2/25/2010 8:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Simon Cowell and Ellen DeGeneres flat out don't get along, and the tension is building ... this according to multiple "American Idol" sources.

Our insiders say Simon and Ellen aren't even trying to hide it. Ellen can't stand what she believes is Simon's cruelty toward contestants. And, we're told, Simon actually enjoys pissing Ellen off with his blistering critiques.

People working on the show last night tell TMZ ... it was apparent on and off camera ... Simon's tolerance level for the contestants was at an all-time low, and he knew it was making Ellen uncomfortable but clearly didn't care. As one insider put it, "He was intentionally pushing her buttons."

It all started badly when Simon showed up late for Ellen's first week of "A.I." taping and made her wait around. Producers separated the two -- who began the season sitting side-by-side -- but the tension has gotten worse.

But business is business. "A.I." is beating the Olympics, and ratings for Ellen's show skyrocketed last week. In Hollywood, contempt has its upside.

Name That Furry Face!

Can you guess which formerly hot celebrity rocked the homeless chic look on Tuesday?

whose beard

Hollywood's Puppets and Muppets

Have some of LA's biggest stars gotten their signature look from a fuzzy friends?

Jayson Williams Can Score in Prison

Former NBA star Jayson Williams was taken to the clink this week after being sentenced to 5 years behind bars -- but there's an upside: The place has a b-ball hoop he can use to get in with the cool kids.

Jayson Williams

Jayson was shipped off to Hunterdon County Correctional Facility in New Jersey on Monday -- but we're told it's only a temporary home for Williams until he's transferred to more permanent quarters.

Williams has to serve at least 18 months behind bars before he's eligible for parole -- so hopefully the next place has a hoops court too.

Wiggin' Out!

Some stars are probably better off bald -- check out the celebs that are in on the cover up!

Who's Marked for Life?!

These stars are stuck with these tattoos forever and ever and ever -- or at least until they fork over enough cash to get 'em removed!

Whose Rockin' Bod?

Can you guess which rocker busted out their tummy rug while sunning in Maui this week?

Who dat?

unjudgmntlchristian

I would just like to say as a Christian that this person spewing hate and judgment is NOT a real Christian. If they really followed the Bibles teachings, they would know that Jesus wants us to love everyone and not cast judgment onto them. I LOVE Ellen, and I dont care that she is gay. She is a good person and makes people happy. Please don't judge all Christians by this horrible ignorant person. I am a Christian and I do not judge, I love...judging is for God to do. All of us are sinners and according to the Bible all sins are equal, therefore no one should be judging anyone else no matter what their sin.

vickie

This is not true...simone has been on ellen's show many times ....they like eachother.

Lau

I thought Ellen was gonna be awesome on the show. She is soooooo boring.
Simon makes the whole show with his comments. Ellen adds nothing!

Bob in CT

Why is it that the right-wing haters are always so threatening? Usually physical violence ............ judging by their writing skills or is it typing skills, they should go back to school....

Jen

The Ellen-bashers posting comments on here are really sick. It's sad to read such hypocritical babble coming from the minds of these self-proclaimed "christians". Sorry, but you give Christianity a bad name. The rest of us won't miss you at all when we're up there in Heaven....

lenny

I am in the Simon camp in that Ellen doesn't seem to know what she's talking about half the time. Paula didn't either but at least her antics were actually funny. Simon is going to have his hands full because the contestants both male and female are the worst I have seen since the show began. They actually kept the most talented people off the show.

upistheway

1st off show /prove where a persons attraction to the same sex can be helped?...Just because your not one sex trapped in another sex's body does not gice you the right to judge...Some will say lucky you.
2nd.Show / prove where The creator itself / himself wrote the bible or other such religous guides. Rather than men who like you and I are prone to making all the mistake possible in our natured course of learning "how to not do it". There's your answer to the contradictions found in the bible. Men who like many had many good and right ideas but who's heart was also somewhat biased.
3rd. Simon Cowell is a mean hearted ego-ignorant moron. His moronishness is unbelievible. It's a shame because he is correct many times in his judgement of the performance. However, only a cruel mean hearted ego can drive someone to be so hurtful toward others. I know how the miracle of life works. Much rope is givin to use to hang ourselves if we choose to hurt others. And when the ropes end is reached payment is due. Simon deservingly will get his due.I only Hope the world gets to see it to witness his judement.

trueword

By the way to Ted Newsom:

The New Testament was a new covenant, but that doesn't mean that the Old Testament is hogwash. You are a liberal aren't you. You just think you know what you are talking about. Have a dose of the Holy Spirit and you will know the truth is the truth. Jesus came to earth and was without sin, therefore He was the utlitmate sacrifice for our sins. That is the new covenant, we no longer have to offer Peace, Burnt, or any other offering for ourselves, Jesus did that for us. Yes, eating lobster, and any unclean animal was a sin, Have you read Acts, God also said anything that he has cleaned we should not call common (unclean). Jesus change a lot for us, but God still hates homosexuality, most people just don't know how to deal with it. No one in this country has a spine anymore, that's why I like Simon, he at least doesn't lie to contestants....

aliceanne

Simon is getting a bit full of himself - his critique of the contestents is brutal. I am not that fond of Ellen, but on this particular point, I have to agree with her as I felt uncomfortable too. Ellen should go back to her wonderful show and Paula should be brought back because she can handle Simon and I miss her!! SHAME ON SIMON!!!!

Bob

No Simon....No Idol. Ellen needs to do her show and go away.

suzieq

It will be noted soon that the Jump the Shark moment for American Idol was putting Ellen in the judge's chair.

vickie

godblshu...I have always said the most religious people are the most hateful and you are no different....heterosexuals are the ones causing the most sexual crimes in our country right now...raping of woman and children....YOU JUDGE...thats not your job....they are citizens of this country and deserve rights as citizens.....its between god and them,...not you....actually ,you scare me more then a homosexual.......

thth

I agreed Ellen is wrong choice for the show. She loves everyone...., very basic knowledge about music. My 10 and 9 year olds watch the show and can see the different. They says Ellen is just like teachers at school, they keep saying "you are doing good, doing great!", event the kids are failing. They like Simon, sometime the truth hurts, but they learn form it.

Gina

I don't believe any of it. It's all hype trying to stir controversy and more ratings. I wouldn't even believe it if I saw it on tv. Who knows what's staged and what isn't. Reality tv is far from reality.

GG123

HEY SIMONS NEW SHOW WILL HAVE PAULA ON IT AS A JUDGE SO AI WILL GO DOWN THE TUBE. RANDY SHOULD JUMP ON THAT TRAIN ALSO, KARA SUCKS AND ELLEN DOES TO THEY ARE JUST NOT A FIT FOR THE SHOW. KARA SHOWED US HOW INSECURE SHE WAS WHEN SHE FIRST CAME ON WITH THE BIKINI GIRL AND ELLEN HAS KNOW CLUE ABOUT MUSIC SORRY.