David Letterman's Extortionist Pleads Guilty

3/9/2010 4:29 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

David Letterman's extortionist just pled guilty to one count of attempted grand larceny in the second degree.

Robert Joe Halderman: Click to watch
Robert Halderman was just sentenced to 6 months in jail, 5 years probation and 1,000 hours of community service.

Under the terms of the deal, Halderman will serve 500 hours of community service in New York and the rest in Connecticut.

In the courtroom, Halderman said, "I have great remorse and sincerely apologize to David Letterman and Stephanie Birkitt. I attempted to extort $2 million from David Letterman." Halderman called it "a thinly veiled threat."

Robert Halderman

shuffler

Surely he was guilty of only writing a bad script Letterman didn't want? :p

manda

Is that FLAVA FLAV leaving the courthouse too??

Homer

Dave, I want to wait to have sex until I'm married.

tiger'smomaphonytoo

David Letterman and Haldeman....go quietly in the night with a shred of dignity. Let a new generation rise to a higher standard than you have lived.

I know Letterman will smirk and do 100 yr. old jokes that only HE thinks is funny. But please, go to Montana and bask in the sunsets that God paints for you daily.

Put on your Farmer Overalls, Letterman, and with that perpetual corn cob stuck up your butt, mosey thru the open range of your beloved Montana.

Grow that beard of a homeless senior and whisper to yourself, "I once was something".

TV Gord

@#4. Jay? Is that you?

Homer

gap-toothed dork = good, blackmailing beardo = bad.

Andie

So is it a felony??

rexcars

But he and his attorney said he didn't do it? So they both lied at least once.

tiger'smomaphonytoo

#5 TVGord...not I'm not Jay, though I wish I had his cash. Just Midwestern folk that calls it like I see it!

Zorch

So he PLEADS GUILTY he gets six months. If he goes to trial and the jury FINDS HIM GUILTY, he gets 15 years. The operative word is GUILTY. Why is there a difference in the sentence?

shuffler

"I did it all this for a lousy Birkitt?" t-shirts being sold outside the courthouse now.

Deanne

Hell hath no fury like a (wo)man scorned. He was pissed and he was jealous! Is that any excuse?! NO. Guilty as charged. Go to jail, you loser.

horndog

Our long national nightmare is finally over.

sam

What's the difference between what he did and the extorcism attempts from Allred's client during the whole Tigergate situation?

Paparazzo@frog.cc