Sheridan: 'Housewives' Creator Attacked Me

4/6/2010 7:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nicollette Sheridan has sued Marc Cherry, the creator of "Desperate Housewives," alleging he struck her across the head and face on the set, and after she complained he fired her.

In the legal papers, obtained by TMZ, Nicollette is suing for assault and battery, gender violence and wrongful termination.

Sheridan is suing for more than $20 million.

In the lawsuit, Sheridan claims Cherry created a hostile work environment from the get go, "behaving in an extremely abusive and aggressive manner toward the individuals who work on the show."

Sheridan says during the 5th season, Cherry put her in his crosshairs. She claims on September 24, 2008, he physically assaulted her after she questioned him about something in the script. According to the lawsuit, "Cherry took her aside and forcefully hit her with his hand across her face and head."

According to the suit, after the alleged incident, Cherry went to her trailer to "beg forgiveness."

Sheridan says she immediately reported the incident to ABC, but Cherry's aggressiveness only worsened and ABC failed to take action.

And get this ... The suit alleges when Cherry found out Teri Hatcher went above his head to complain about him, he said, "I hope Teri Hatcher gets hit by a car and dies."

And, she says, she was killed off the show unfairly.

UPDATE: ABC tells the L.A. Times "While we have yet to see the actual complaint, we investigated similar claims made by Ms. Sheridan last year and found them to be without merit."

Tracey

Terri Hatcher complained about him as well, so this story couldn't be too far from the truth. The guy sounds like a control freak with a violent temper and too much power. What a surprise. There is only one expression I'd like to highlight in this story -- "Gender Violence." No one has a right to raise their hands to another human being under any conditions. It is simply unacceptable.

Judy

I not only will never watch "Desperate Housewives" again but will never watch ANYTHING that involves Marc Cherry again. He deserves to not only lose his career but all of his money and ABC for allowing this to happen. "Without merit" indeed! Hope I'm on the jury that decides that outcome!

noksutau

People, haven't you realized some of these post are there
just to irk you? And as to the males (not men) who actually
like the thought of hitting women, it's sad your latent
homosexual tendencies manifest in this manner. That's what
happens when you try to hide things all your life.Blame
your father for molesting you, not some innocent female.

Antoinette

Do I smell a boycot. Money talks bs walks. Actions speak lowder than words. Let's boycot the show until the suit is done. There are enough reruns to keep us occupied.

Penny

This is a real shame. Yes, it is a hit show but the cast is incredible and without them....who knows. I was saddened when Nicollette left the show and wondered why at the time. I have watched her since Knotts Landing and always loved her characters. Too old someone said, bull! Deserved it? NOT! Having wanted to be an actress since I could walk and not getting the chance since I had started my family early, I sympathize with these actors. I hope he gets his just deserved. Best of luck Nicollette!

Judy

It does not matter what Nicolette did or didn't do to aggravate him, he broke the law and he needs to go to jail. All of the negative remarks on here are obviously planted by Marc and ABC. Do you really think that we are that stupid? Do you really believe that your actions would be justified if she wasn't "likable"?

JTV

So now, TWO YEARS LATER, she files the suite. If this happened to my daughter or wife I would xpect them to file and/or call the police right away. She was one of the majors on that show and certainly could have come forward if it indeed happened. Since she hasn't made much money latley and doesn't look anything like she did in "The Sure Thing" I am suspect!!!

Nancy Levine

I can't believe Mark Cherry did that! He seemed like kind of a mild-mannered guy, but I guess I was wrong. I thought her character was killed off unfairly, too. Nicolette (and her Edie character) added a lot to the show. Can't there be a cliff-hanger ending where we find out it wasn't really Edie in the car that got hit; she just left town because she was afraid Dave would kill her? Oh, I guess we can't. Mark Cherry wouldn't like it.

By the way, Nicolette, there's a great lawyer in Cincinnati who would probably love to take your case! And I know he'd win it for you and get the book throw at Mark Cherry!

TelevisionGuy

If I remember correctly, her character was almost strangled to death, then she drove away and crashed, then got out of the car and was electrocuted (hope I spelled that correctly). Did Marc Cherry get his revenge by all of these death scenarios??

Nancy Levine

Ooops, that's have the book thrown at Mark Cherry. Thrown.

marcusA.

I think something happened, he probably play-acting swatted her but not actual physical abuse. I have no doubt he would mouth off at her too. Knowing "stars'" egos she probably was humiliated beyond belief and is getting her revenge. The show is stupid anyway, she should be glad to be off, but then what's the chance of her getting that good a paycheck again?? Probably nil, so hence the lawsuit.

JD

I hope she gets the money.

d b yorker

Nicolette can I take up for you, I will hit him back.In all sincerity if this is true I hope she wins more money and this guy can never direct/produce a TV show again

mwolf18809

I know her to be honest and not a whiner on any level. If he did as she claims, he is lucky she didn't drop kick him in the nuts. I also know that some of these guys lose it on a regular basis and are protected by the upper level guys so the show stays on shoot schedule. Wake up Hollywood.

Elaine

No man has the right to touch a woman on the job or elsewhere. She has the right to sue him. She had one of the best characters on the show and should sue him for killing her off as he did. In addtion to hitting her in the face and forehead. This man needs to get help and ABC should take action to help the people(women) who have been abused by him and are afraid to do anything about it.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments