Chely Wright -- She's Coming Out

5/2/2010 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned the big "coming out" announcement planned for this week will be ... country star Chely Wright.

There's been a big buzz over the last week as to which celeb was announcing he/she was gay ... we knew it was going to be unveiled in PEOPLE mag next week.  But now TMZ knows for sure.

Wright has a book coming out this week as well -- it's called, "Like Me."  And she has a CD coming out too -- called "Lifted Off the Ground."

The 39-year-old singer scored a #1 country song back in 1999 with "Single White Female," when she was named Academy of Country Music new artist of the year.

Wright is the first major country artist ever to come out.  She has been romantically linked to a number of celebs, including Brad Paisley.

This is a big deal in the country world.  Chely is rolling the dice on her career ... it's unclear how traditionally-conservative country fans will react.

Interesting ... she lists Howard Bragman as her publicist, who was the mastermind behind the Chaz Bono story.

Mystery solved.

Mayu

I'm a country fan, and I have to ask...

who is this? Never heard of her or the songs listed that she supposedly made "famous".

TheUltraworld

who cares?

Johnny

She's probably bi. She looks like she still likes ****.

TucsonAZ

Natalie Cameron

Good for her. Nobody cares if she's gay or straight, she is a great singer/entertainer. Country music fans are NOT closed minded morons!!! By saying only to vote if you are a country music fan, YOU are lumping people together based on one similar characteristic and presuming we are all alike and think alike. I wonder who is really prejudicial and stereotyping. HMMMMM.

yarrrr

"""Or currently-non-career as the case may be. Not only is it risky as a country singer but she's also a crazy-@$$ed Republican."""

She's not a Republican...

I snarked a little earlier about how rather unknown she really is... even to listeners of country music... but I do hope her new music gets a fair treatment...

That being said, it would be unsurprising if it doesn't... not because of homophobia but because the cynical nature of this announcement is going to test a lot of people's patience...

GDHJasun

OK, THIS is the "big star" that was coming out? This is the "clear your calendars, this is gonna be huge, move over Ricky Martin" story we were told was coming?

Some country one hit wonder from 10 years ago that only die-hard country fans remember?

Man, that's weak.

shelly

I would never have guessed - we met her over 10 years ago and she was totally hitting on my husband at the meet n greet!!!

Benny Barnes

I was a fan of hers back in the 1990's and early 2000's. They haven't played her on country radio for quite a few years so I hadn't thought about her in awhile. This is quite shocking news to me. I personally don't think that lifestyle is morally right. The bible is quite clear on this matter so I hope it is just false gossip and not the truth about her.

Say it ain't so Chely!

Tired of toxomom

She's not the first country star to reveal that she's a lesbian. Ever heard of K.D. Lang? She has one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard.

ylg

I refuse to believe People magazine would follow-up such a blockbuster cover story with Sandra Bullock with this unknown, who gives a s&&t person. I was hoping it would have been Queen Latifah, at least that would have been interesting.

Sheri

Never heard of her. Thought maybe you had Kenny Chesney.

Beba

Well here we are again having to be subjected to another corn fed country queer who thinks the whole world cares about what they do behind closed doors. Talk about insecurity...do you actually need our approval or are you just a flaming idiot who feels so confused and guilty about being gay that the public court of consent is going to save you a few bucks on therapy ? Maybe youre worried that the church doors going to slam in your face... Lord have mercy you are a sick bunch. Taco's anyone..hahahahaha

MeToo

Please. Terri Clark would have been a bigger story.

REALUSION