The 'Lost' Diary -- The Candidate

5/5/2010 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Welcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

I IMed my old college roommate Chris on Tuesday morning to ask what he was thinking going into "Lost" tonight. "I need at least one death," he told me. I responded, "Yeah, it's been awhile … it's hard to be 'Lost' w/o killing off a few people. This isn't '30 Rock.'" Haven't had any major RIPs in a while. Are we due for one? (Ed.'s note: Yes, this was an actual conversation and yes, this was written before the episode).

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I am over at Ari's place for a Lakers/"Lost" double feature. Lakers did their job, now it's time for "Lost." Let's roll ...

9:00 -- On the DVR, the first three seconds of "Lost" were the end of "Dancing With the Stars." It was the worst three seconds of "Lost" ever.

9:01 -- "I think you're a candidate." -- Jack

9:02 -- "Welcome to Hydra Island." -- Sayid. Not to be confused with Fantasy Island, Shutter Island or MILF Island

9:03 -- Sawyer, Kate, Jin, Sun, Lawnmower Man, Claire and Hurley have been put in the bear cage "for their own good." For once, I want to do something someone's "own good." Actually, by this time next week, I will. Check back in a week.

9:07 -- Is it me or is Bernard a tad creepy?

9:10 -- Not Locke has an interesting strategy to try and get Jack to help him -- by reminding him that, if he wanted, he could easily kill everyone. Scary, true, and effective.

9:11 -- "Feels like we're running circles, back in these cages?" -- Sawyer. Yes, yes it does.

9:12 -- Another Sun/Jin reunion scene that just doesn't do anything for me. In this scene, they have about as much chemistry as me and Larry King.

9:13 -- I get super duper excited lately whenever I know the Smoke Monster is about to attack. Not sure what that says about me.

9:14 -- Do you think Jack ran alongside the Smoke Monster? Did the Smoke Monster carry him like on a magic carpet ride? Did Jack actually see Not Locke turn into the Smoke Monster? These are the things I think about.

9:19 -- The whole gang is almost back together, heading to the plane. Wonder what Desmond is up to? Is he still in that well?

9:20 -- Jack is trying to see Anthony Cooper and he runs into Helen. This seems like as good time as any to mention that Katey Segal, who is awesome in her small parts on "Lost," absolutely steals the show on "Sons of Anarchy." Highly recommend.

9:21 -- Doesn't look like ol' Anthony is doing too well.

9:22 -- Not Locke/Jason Bourne just killed two guys and now he's aboard the plane.

9:23 -- Seems the whole plane was wired with C4. Hate when that happens.

9:24 -- Not Locke wants to take the submarine now. I still don't like the submarine plan.

9:25 -- Sawyer wants Jack to get Not Locke in the water and he will "take care of the rest." This I gotta see.

9:30 -- "Push the button … I wish you had believed me." -- Locke

9:31 -- Claire is at the hospital to see Jack, and she has a music box with her.

9:32 -- "Oceanic Flight 815?" -- Jack

9:33 -- Operation Steal the Sub is underway.

9:34 -- And it's really, really easy.

9:35 -- Jack just tossed Locke into the water and Kate got shot. I am surprisingly happy about the latter.

9:36 -- Not Locke is finally out of the water and gunning down Widmore's people. Meanwhile, all the candidates are on the sub. Just saying …

9:37 -- "Trust me, you don't want to be on that sub." -- Not Locke. Ruh-roh!

9:38 --  Is that a shirt in my backpack? Nope, it's a ticking bomb.

9:39 -- "Locke … we did exactly what he wanted." -- Jack

9:43 -- Sayid is trying to play Hurt Locker with the bomb Locke left behind. Does anyone really think the bomb is going to go off and kill half the cast?

9:44 -- "We are going to be okay. You just have to trust me." -- Jack. I have done a complete 180 on Jack. He's been my favorite character of the past few weeks.

9:45 -- Let's discuss what just happened. Sawyer grabbed the wires, which did nothing but make the bomb mad. Sayid told Jack where to find Desmond, told he was the one (like Neo), then ran with the bomb, where it blew up. Here's my question -- would the bomb have gone off if Sawyer never touched it? I think not.

9:46 -- Everyone is scrambling. Hurley is helping Kate … while Jack, Jin and Sawyer are helping Sun. Um, I think I'd rather Sun right now.

9:47 -- Actually, things don't look good for anyone right now.

9:52 -- I have nothing good to say about the last five minutes.

9:56 -- Locke is being discharged from the hospital, seemingly as if nothing has changed.

9:57 -- Locke is in the wheelchair because he was in a plane crash -- he was flying, and his dad was a passenger.

9:58 -- "What happened, happened." -- Jack

9:59 -- "To finish what I started." -- Not Locke

There's a good possibility that I am completely wrong about everything I am about to write. And I fully expect everyone to hate me for this. That being said …

Sayid died. Jin died. Sun died.

Guess what? I don't care.

Not one bit.

Didn't react. Didn't say a word. Didn't blink.

Do you know why I don't care? Because "Lost" has made it impossible for me to care about what happens.

I'll explain.

Right now we have the island, and we have the flash-sideways. I don't quite know what they have to do with each other or which one is "real."

But if I apply some kind of logic -- which is never a good idea with "Lost" -- then one of them has to prevail in the end, right? Can they both be "real"? When the show ends, Oceanic 815 either crashed or it didn't.

So that being said, that means until I know what is going on, how can I care what happens in either timeline?

When I said before the episode that I needed someone to die, I didn't realize how nothing could be further from the truth. Nothing of any actual consequence had happened on the island this season (save for maybe Juliet's death) so I didn't know how little I would care.

Sayid is dead. Jin is dead. Sun is dead. And yet, next week, when the flash-sideways kick in … they'll be alive and well.

They're dead on the island, but not off it.

So I ask you again … why should I care about what happens in either timeline?

I'm skipping the grade this week. Doesn't feel right.

Antoinette

I really loved last night's episode.

The thing is since they introduced time travel, I hoped they would go back and undo the crash of flight 815. I wanted our losties to be able to have the lives they would have had had the plane never crashed. But the way the writers have done it, the plane did and didn't crash. I would really like it if the LA_X timeline would take over but I still don't know if that would happen. But if it does it doesn't mean that the events on the island never happened. They did. That's why the LA_X people can remember it. It happened. So I'm confused by the fans who get angry about the new timeline erasing everything that happened in the previous 5 seasons. It doesn't.

jenn

So in a weird way- I agree with the writer. When Sun was stuck and all of the other drama I didn't tear up. It was kinda seen as coming, I think.People needed to die. Your telling me after all of these years about 75% of the cast is going to survive. Thats even more crazy then the plot for Lost.SO expect some deaths! Also, to agree with the original post. I think he's right about the sideways timeline. I think they all end up dying or sacrificing themselves (next 2 episodes named Across the Sea, and What they died for) on the island which will allow Jacob to continue to live on. Have the plane never crash and they live on thru the sideways timeline, which will meet up with the island real life time when this happen. Seriously, whatelse could happen- they all die? I dont think that is a way for the writers to end the show.
On another note, Sayid's death was sad- only because I wanted to know more on what the heck happened to him. It just seems rushed now, getting down to the end, there is a lot of loose ends that are probably not going to be answered. Things that were drawn out for the previous season that everybody else grew to question or love that now we are finding out if it really is important. I am ready for it to just end to we can figure out what is going on. Found out today they are extending the seasonfinale by 30 mins too so now it will be 2.30 hours.. hmmm maybe because there is waaaay to much to talk about...

Who?

Could Jack be Jacob?

margaret

I agree with Clair at #17 - there is no way neither Jin nor Sun would not be thinking about that baby! When Sun was telling Jin to go, I kept waiting for her to say you have to live to raise our daughter or something to that effect. I guess the mystery of which Kwan was the candidate is solved - neither! Am also wondering where the H are Miles, Richard and Ben? How many days has it been (on island) since they left?

glo

does anyone else feel like they just watched an ethnic cleansing?

Mike

Last night's episode was probably the most emotional one for me yet this season - it really brought back home the concept that this season will be ending everything. With Sun and Jin dying, I'm really left wondering what else could happen that could make me feel as upset as I was last night - they have consistently been my favorite storyline on the show (and "Ji Yeon" my favorite episode of all time). I hope the rest of the episodes this season have the same focus on the characters and wrap up the storylines that we've come to love and want closure to - it's really crazy that it's all finally goign to be over soon. http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/30/lost-the-final-countdown/

kelley

I agree, I try to keep a mental note of why are they telling us this? It will have to tie in with something else, right? So far little has been connected and we are still lost, which was ok the first 2-3 years! But now I demand answers!! I was HOOKED on lost the first couple of seasons, and have been so disappointed in the last two seasons. This is my favorite show and I will see it out to the end. But it feels like Im in a bad relationship, mad at lost writers who obviously are throwing things together at the last minute, but yet commited til the end. ugghh

lee

Jin and Sun are dead but their last name is on the wall. Their kid is the final candidate, in a sideways flash. Does anyone remember Neil Gaiman's Sandman, when Daniel was born in the Dreamtime? Dream said he belonged to him. Maybe the kid will be the new improved Jacob..

Rebirth

Baby Kwon is The Candidate (good).

Baby Aaron is the new Man in Black (evil).

Or is Kwon evil and the fair-skinned Aaron the new Jacob ?

Stace

I feel the same way about them being dead - I didn't care because it's almost like it doesn't matter because there still alive in SW it doesn't have the same emotional impact. Not Locke - clearly there is an issue with water - probably why he is kept on an island - remember a couple of episodes back when he couldn't cross to Hydra island and then we never actually saw how he got there this week. Did anyone catch Kates reaction to seeing Jack make it to shore - so does this mean he is the "one" for her?? back to what Sayid said about Jack being the "one" -how are they going to explain him leaving his son and staying on the island??

me

where is bernards wife?
this season does seem rushed. i had hoped they would answer more of the lingering questions from previos seasons in this season.

Tessa

They've been dead since the original plane crashed...Jacob and Man in Black are playing games with the passengers...Backgammon with humans.

L

At the end, when Jin & Sun realized they were drowning in the sub, I thought I accidentally hit the remote and changed channels to "Titanic."

Tiffany

The "Lost" commentator needs to return to his old job of chasing Britney and making her cry.
If they had 2 more seasons left they couldn't explain this sham away. What a disappointment, they had a great show that they could have actually gone somewhere with, and all we're left with are questions about **** that happened 2,3,4 years ago. I'm pissed.
P.S. I love "the Man in Black" he could talk me into anything. I'm on his team no matter what! F**K LOST.

JT

I thought that Jin's voice while in the sub sounded like a bad B movie from the 70's. POOR Editing!

Did anyone else think of Titanic when Jin and Sun were holding hands? "I'll never let go Jack, I'll never let go," until I let go and go on to be a dirty whore and sleep with a bunch of dudes and have a bunch of kids.

On a personal note, I would have left her a$$, she's annoyed me from the day she screamed like a crazy woman bc she did not want to leave the boat that was about to blow up!!! SHUT UP SUN! Her story line sucked from the start. Secondly, if I was Jin I would have bounced he could have hooked up with Claire or Zoey. Just sayin...

Poor Sayid, he just randomly decided to sacrifice himself, poor guy, I guess he can be with Nadia again.

Poor Frank!!!! He's spent the last 5 episodes having one liners and being just "there" to get off in the sub, sucks for ya brother!

I almost forgot about KATE! I wish she had been killed, her character has sucked since she got off the island. Seriously, what has she contributed to the story, except to PREDICTABLY do the EXACT OPPOSITE of whatever MAN tells her to do. ANY NO MAN GONNA HOLD ME DOWN....SO I have wrote the below letter to her

Dear Kate,
You suck at life, you suck or mess up everything you do regardless of what your intentions are, one of the benefits of the show ending is I don't have to watch your LAME WOMEN's Lib crap that you express during EVERY SHOW. You and Sun should have sunken to the bottom of the sea.

Love,
ME

Ok so now that I'm over that, I also wanted to touch on the ending, the sub must have been going at least 60 knots (which is nearly impossible btw) and there must be a HUGE drop off right in the middle of the bay, and if you were to swim to the surface with or without oxygen from the depth that the sub was, you'd have what's called decompression syndrome or NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE IT.

Goes something like this

Option A) Swimming Swimming BAM, your lungs are crushed from the change in pressure
Option B) Swimming Swimming BAM, your lungs fill with water and you suffocate.

Overall I can't wait for next weeks episode!!!! Rumor has it that MiB and Jacob are metaphorically the same person/brothers/same mother etc. So we will see

I'm with brother! I thought at the very begining I called a "jump the shark momment" anyone else think that???