The 'Lost' Diary -- What They Died For

5/19/2010 4:32 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0519_lost_1Welcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

As we get close to the end, I've been thinking a lot about what I've always said is the difference between "The Wire" and "The Sopranos" -- confidence vs. arrogance. For "Lost" to -- in its second to last episode -- do an entire hour without any of its many characters appearing in the episode … well, to quote Alec Baldwin, takes brass balls. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are either the most masterful storytellers of our time … or giant a-holes. I'm not sure if there is an in-between.

Either way, this is the last episode before the finale. Time flies. Let's roll …

9:00 -- During the "Previously on Lost" segment -- where they show Jin and Sun dying -- I was hoping ABC would edit in a line from either one of them about their soon-to-be orphaned child. Nope, didn't happen.

9:01 -- The gash on Jack's neck makes him look like Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia."

9:02 -- According the musical score, we are watching an emotional scene between Jack, his son, and Claire.

9:03 -- Kate brings up the fact that Jin and Sun had a kid (bout time someone did) while Jack sews up her bullet wound. I wonder if Sawyer feels guilty about what happened or if he thinks it wasn't his fault?

9:06 -- Judging by the blank stare he's got going on now, I'd say Sawyer does actually feel guilty.

9:07 -- One minute there's a parking lot full of people, as Mr. Locke returns to school, and the next Desmond can beat Ben senseless and no one sees a thing. But he flashed, so mission accomplished.

9:08 -- "I lived in these houses 30 years before you did, otherwise known as last week." -- Miles. Good to see the Ben/Miles/Richard contingent back. Off the top of my head, I'd say Miles has to make the list of Top 10 Most Underutilized Characters in TV History list.

9:09 -- "Thank you, Richard." -- Ben

9:10 -- It's been so long, I kinda forgot -- Ben used to have some sort of control over the Black Smoke Monster.

9:11 -- "May I come in?" -- Widmore

9:16 -- Seems Jacob summoned Widmore to the island, which makes Ben a tad jealous.

9:17 -- "While he was beating me, I think I … saw something." -- Ben

9:19 -- Desmond turned himself in to the police for running over Locke and beating up Ben. Not quite how I would have played it, but then again …

9:20 -- … how else was he supposed to get to Kate and Sayid?

9:21 -- "I killed them, didn't I?" -- Sawyer. Yes, yes you did.

9:22 -- Little Jacob is back and he wants the ashes Hurley took from Ilana.

9:23 -- "You should get your friends. We're very close to the end, Hugo." -- Jacob

9:27 -- Ben is staging a last stand, Richard is kind of on board, and MIles is getting ready to run away through the jungle. Minor prediction: Miles doesn't live to see the finale.

9:28 -- Um, what I meant to say is that Richard doesn't make it to the finale. Hang on a second while I edit that last entry.

9:29 -- "Just the man I was looking for." -- Not Locke

9:30 -- Old school Ben Linus -- selling out Charles Widmore to Not Locke. Good to see he got his balls back from Jacob's purse. It's a satchel!

9:31 -- I knew Rousseau was gonna be there and yet … damn it, when it did get so dusty in here?

9:33 -- "Sorry Charles." -- Ben. RIP Zoe.

9:34 -- "Soon this will all be over. I'll get what I want and I'll finally leave this island. And when I do, the first thing I am going to do … is kill your daughter, Penny." -- Not Locke.

9:35 -- "He doesn't get to save his daughter." -- Ben. RIP Widmore.

9:36 -- "I want to know that Sun and Jin and Sayid didn't die for nothing." -- Kate. Apparently Kate didn't read the guide info -- the episode is called "What They Died For." Just be patient Kate, we're gonna find out in the next 24 minutes.

9:37 -- "Come and sit down and I'll tell you what they died for." -- Jacob. See???

9:43 -- "What if all this … maybe this happening for a reason. Maybe you're supposed to fix me." -- Locke

9:44 -- "I want to fix you, Mr. Locke. But I think you're mistaking coincidence for fate." -- Jack

9:45 -- Jacob is trying to explain to everyone what he did and why he brought them to the island. Not sure there's enough time to explain all that.

9:46 -- "I chose you because you were like me. You were all alone. You were all looking for something you couldn't find out there. I chose you because you needed this place as much as it needed you." -- Jacob

9:47 -- "What is the job?" -- Jack

9:48 -- "I want you to have the one thing I was never given … a choice." -- Jacob

9:49 -- "I'll do it. This is why I'm here. This is what I am supposed to do." -- Jack

9:54 -- "I thought that guy had a God complex before." -- Sawyer

9:55 -- Jacob is performing the wine ceremony, for lack of a better term, but this time with some water in the stream. Kinda liked it better when I thought there was magic wine.

9:56 -- "Now you're like me." -- Jacob

9:57 -- "After I set you free, I'm going to ask each of you to do something and you're going to have to promise me you'll do it." -- Desmond.

9:58 -- "Dude, you didn't tell me Ana Lucia was gonna be here." -- Hurley. Unfortunately, I spotted Michelle Rodriguez's name in the credits, so I knew she was going to be here.

9:59 -- "If you can turn yourself into smoke whenever you want, why do you bother walking?" -- Ben. Best. Question. Ever.

10:01 -- "Because I'm gonna find Desmond and he's gonna help me do the one thing I could never do myself. I'm gonna destroy the island." -- Not Locke

There was no way in the world the series finale of "Lost" wasn't going to be the most anticipated episode of television of my life. I'd been saying all season long that I don't feel like I can even begin to rank "Lost" among my favorite shows of all-time until the series ends -- how it ends will determine how I remember all six seasons … right or wrong.

But now I feel that way more than ever. The last two weeks -- and the more I think about it this entire season (especially the flash-sideways universe) -- has been leading up to this finale. I can't imagine that any show in history has had more riding on an episode.

Would you have it any other way?

"Lost" has been indefinable from the beginning. It has broken every mold and transformed what is capable on television. Before "Lost," did you ever believe a television show could send you to the Internet scouring for clues? Did you ever think you'd spend an entire next day talking about a television show with friends?

Did you ever imagine that a television show would actually make you afraid of missing it? I can't miss "Lost" tonight or else I can't talk to anyone tomorrow and I pretty much have to avoid the Internet in its entirety!

Other television is like high school -- you can show up to class, half-ass the homework, not study for a second and still probably get a B on the final.

"Lost" is college -- you have to take copious notes in class, do all the reading, and join a study group (*ahem Lost Diary) or risk failing.

I give tonight's episode a B-. The episode before a season finale is supposed to get me excited for the finale. That is tripled when it's a series finale and trillioned (made up word) when it's the series finale of "Lost." I only give this a B- because while I am still super excited for Sunday, this episode didn't ratchet that up a notch, but it didn't take it down a level either. This episode simply held down the fort.

joan

my latest theory...
everyone ends up at the concert, possibly in an amphitheater. The light that is the heart of the island is somehow connected to that location. something happens at the concert, (maybe an earthquake? it is LA). the island light breaks through at that point and everything is connected physically. Jack will die at the concert, along with anyone else that stays on the island. This will probably include John Locke and maybe ben. Jack and Not-Locke will be left on the beach alone waiting for the next candidates. Oh, and Juliet is jack's ex-wife, his son's mom.

Shamone'

Waaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllttttttt!!!!

CD

I like your theory Joan. I think there is something funny going on with Jacob though. Just sketches me out!

Alex

Sigh, i hate how the 4 candidates ask jacob why they are here and he just goes about his mistake and the light, and they all go "OK"

Kate is all bitchy and stuff and he shuts her up with the freaking light. What is that light ? Do you think that "light" was part of the writer's plan in past seasons. I expect to understand what exactly is that thing on sunday, but they probably even won't mention what it's there for and whatnot, which will disappoint me and ruin 6 seasons of lost.

The Train!

great art does not answer questions, it inspires questions. we must return to it again and again and make new discoveries. so i get tired of people who complain because lost didn't provide enough answers. i think most TV shows don't provide enough questions.

bluesnforu

((((9:18 -- "The man told me he wasn't trying to hurt you, he was trying to get you to let go. And for some reason … I believed him." -- Ben)))

This just gave you the answer to the ending. They are all already dead. Lost souls without knowing. They just need to be let in or out of heaven by Gabriel.

@!

can't wait til Sunday, just hoping the whole show isn't filled with 're-caps'
most of it is going on faith-the 'light', being chosen, being scatched off the list...
only question still burning with me is women's pregnancies(or lack there of)the reason for Juliett being there...and the island's healing powers(Rose's cancer and Locke walking)unless that's just the magnetic part of the island
maybe Rose and Bernard will be the next Others for Jack:)or Temple guards
noticed the Hatch map drawing was in the preview, maybe we will be going back to the Hatch
Hurley/Desmond hook up is cool!

Tom

Stuff that needs to be answered in the finale:

Walt's connection to all this

the island's healing powers (as mentioned above)

the pregnancy problem (as mentioned above)

Who's Jack's wife in the flash sideways (not that it matters, but they've been hiding her)?

Jack's bleeding in the flash sideways

Why can the remaining candidates now see Jacob and how's he "alive" if he's "dead"? (I hated the "let's all sit down and I'll explain this" bit around the campfire with Jacob.)

What exactly was Widmore trying to do by coming back?

Desmond as The Constant and what he's trying to do.

Aaron and the Kwon kid's connection (if any)

Explain that light and the smoke monster.

There are probably more that I missed, but these spring to mind.

And one more comment: In all of the sci-fi stuff I've ever watched or read, there is never only ONE alternate universe. There are infinite amounts of them. That would mean that no matter what happens on the island or in the flash sideways, there are still other Jacks, Sawyers, etc., etc.

Hep

I have never watched an episode of Lost!

Cyndee

Rose and Bernard have got to be the heroes of the show! ...somehow...

JT

I liked "What They Died For." It wasn't one of my favorites but it was good. Solid B

Reasons why I am GLAD LOST is ending:
1)I don't ever have to here Kate speak again
2)I don't ever have to here Kate speak again
3)I don't ever have to here Kate speak again

Ok I think I made my point, I loved her character in the first 4 seasons. Until she threw her car in reverse and start "b!tching" at Jack. Since then her character has just gone down hill, and IMHO, DESTROYING episodes. I wish the gunshot had killed her.

"Why was my name crossed out, I wanna be cool too, I'm not really going to volunteer for anything unless you specifically tell me not too because you're a man, and I do the exact OPPOSITE of what ANY man tells me to do, NO MAN IS GONNA HOLD ME DOWN, I am woman here more roar, I screwed Jack (emotionally), I screwed Sawyer(physically) and I AM MAD bc I can't raise SOMEONE ELSE's BABY"

I'm looking forward to Sunday, in fact before I went to bed last night I said to my gf "wow, I only have to wait 4 days for lost instead of 7"

So I'd like to see Walt come to a close, I could really CARELESS about Aaron, I want to know more about these "powers" that Jacob/Jack now have.

Can't wait to see Monday's LOST Diary.

LeeAnn

Jack is operating on Locke and has a flash and they connect realities. Jack realizes what is going on and what has to be done and kills Locke on the operating table, therefore killing Not-Locke at the same time.

FlamingoNut

"9:32 -- Rousseau might be the only woman on the show who looks better off the island than on it. -->I have to disagree; I couldn't stand the way she looked. I guess I got too used to her being angry, bitter, pissed off & unkept.

I still can't make heads or tales of this show and can't predict how it'll end, but it is interesing hearing all of everyone's theories...

amsjll

As the parent of two small children, I was ticked when Sun just let Jin stay with her while she died. If my husband did that I wouldnt be kissing him I would punch him as I slipped under the water. Total BS. That little girl is an orphan now thanks to their selfishness. Who cares that she didnt know her dad, he's still her dad and had a responsibility to try to get out. Other than that, I somehow am not confused by whats going on. I'm not a genius, lol, but I also dont expect a show like THIS to answer all the questions they've posed and to make much sense. I mean come on, it's LOST! You are supposed to be LOST. Quit questioning everything and watch the bleeping show already!

3Storms

It was an awesome episode, even though it felt rushed. They needed one more regular episode so things like Richard's death weren't so quick.

Plus, for the record, smoke-monster-locke is the LIGHT. When he became the monster, the light in the cave went out because he became the light itself. Therefore when he dies, the island sinks like it did in the alt-verse. The island Jacob was really protecting all these years was really his own brother, which is why he couldn't let him leave.

Plus Jack does kill him in the finale, and the island sinks. Remember "it only ends once."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments