Ellen on California Gay Marriage Ruling -- 'Equality Won'

8/4/2010 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Moments ago, a federal judge overturned California's ban on same-sex marriages -- and just seconds after the news broke, Ellen DeGeneres was already celebrating ... via Twitter.

Ellen DeGeneres Gay Rights

Ellen just posted the message, "This just in: Equality Won!"

And she isn't the only star excited about the ruling ... Kelly Osbourne just posted, "So happy over the news on prop8 its about time!"

Kim Kardashian: "Prop 8 was struck down! This news is amazing!!!! Its about time! Congrats to everyone!"

Shanna Moakler: "Tonight we celebrate! EQUALITY and LOVE for all!"

Ricky Martin: "YEAHHHHH!!!!! #prop8unconstitutional Moving Forward!!!!!!!!"

Milla Jovovich: Yay! Finally ppl r being treated equally! And CA is cool again!

Rose McGowan: Yay! No more Prop H8! I wanna be a flower girl in a wedding asap!

Olivia Munn: Prop 8 Overturned!!! Equal rights for everyone! Nice to be out of the 1950s..

Paris Hilton: What a huge historical day for equal rights in this country! They finally overturned Prop 8! There shouldn't be a law on true love. :)

Sophia Bush: A MAJOR step forward. Everyone deserves the right to love whomever they choose. I am proud to be from Cali again!

Story developing ...

Cella

Right on. About time!!

Osiris Reborn

The US is a republic where the officials can decide what is and what isn't unconstituional.

Do we let states decide what religions are tolerated within their borders? No.

Do we let states decide what ethnicities are tolerated within their borders? No.

So why would we let them decide who can and who cannot get married?

I think the gay marriage thing is a non issue, and I really think this country needs to move on to the things that directly effect us, like the economy, illegal immigration, the wars we're fighting in, fair wages, education, infrastructure, the environment, and so on.

Personally, I think politicians use these non issues to distract us from the bigger issues.

george clooney

lol...all you homosexuals should party....the Supreme Court will reverse this Federal Judge on appeal. So, if you think you have won anything, lol....wait and see. Then we will do what you have done to us, get names and addresses and take care of business. You have won nothing but have lost EVERYTHING

Mikey

The judge who decided this case is Gaaay! LOL!

The biggest open secret in the landmark trial over same-sex marriage being heard in San Francisco is that the federal judge who will decide the case, Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker, is himself gay.

Ron`

The Lawyers are celebrating big time! They get to make more money on a case that will ultimately end up in the Supreme Court and be upheld. This is a big time disaster for the gays in this Country. Their "marriage issue" is finally going to make it before the Supremes where it will be outlawed! The only winners on this will be the hundreds of lawyers who suck the money off of both sides of a "no-win" issue.

God-Of-Lyf

[Sarcasm] I'm so glad we have these role models who tweet to look up to, and speak for the rest of us. They say **** like [About time] All that means is the very fabric of our society has hit an all time low. It used to be "We The People" until Washington went to hell. Can't wait til November, It couldn't come soon enough. I've had enough of Democrats messing up my future, And Liberals destroying everything I hold sacred! Screw the ***s. Just Saying...

Mikey

I bet the judge who decided this mess is having butt sex right now!

george clooney

#15 Katie10...so you have no problem with equality. I guess its ok with you then for NAMBLA to exist? Thats where men and boys have sex...not men and men but men and boys. Also, you have no problem with a man and an elephant getting married? You are a homo and for you to claim you are not is BS. Nothing worse than a fence sitter; guess you are afraid your mother will find out?

Nikki

Last time I knew the bible said ADAM AND EVE NOT ADAM AND STEVE.

Carl

Great news! But this will end up in the supreme court and will be decided by bigots like Scalia that at least once in a decision referred to the "homosexual agenda" in disparaging terms.

TheMachine1

The constitution is designed to protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority.

Karen

Thank God justice prevailed! Prop 8 should never have been on the ballot.

A great day for all Americans. Says this 50 year old, straight, mother of 2

noneofyourbusiness

I'm happy for all the gays and lesbos, but I'm glad this is over with because I'm completely sick of hearing everyone talk about it. Good luck getting your lovers on your insurance even though you are married! My uncle and his partner were married legally and could not get insurance added to include both. This is not over-the problems are just beginning for these couples.

moveover

They can "celebrate" all they want ...... but women can't marry other women and men can't marry other men! Just a fact.

Michele

It does not matter what the subject,what happened is we the people were overturned and that is a sad sad day when it keeps repeating with this administration I used to be a Democrat and now I just feel stupid and betrayed, wake up people!!