Ellen on California Gay Marriage Ruling -- 'Equality Won'

8/4/2010 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Moments ago, a federal judge overturned California's ban on same-sex marriages -- and just seconds after the news broke, Ellen DeGeneres was already celebrating ... via Twitter.

Ellen DeGeneres Gay Rights

Ellen just posted the message, "This just in: Equality Won!"

And she isn't the only star excited about the ruling ... Kelly Osbourne just posted, "So happy over the news on prop8 its about time!"

Kim Kardashian: "Prop 8 was struck down! This news is amazing!!!! Its about time! Congrats to everyone!"

Shanna Moakler: "Tonight we celebrate! EQUALITY and LOVE for all!"

Ricky Martin: "YEAHHHHH!!!!! #prop8unconstitutional Moving Forward!!!!!!!!"

Milla Jovovich: Yay! Finally ppl r being treated equally! And CA is cool again!

Rose McGowan: Yay! No more Prop H8! I wanna be a flower girl in a wedding asap!

Olivia Munn: Prop 8 Overturned!!! Equal rights for everyone! Nice to be out of the 1950s..

Paris Hilton: What a huge historical day for equal rights in this country! They finally overturned Prop 8! There shouldn't be a law on true love. :)

Sophia Bush: A MAJOR step forward. Everyone deserves the right to love whomever they choose. I am proud to be from Cali again!

Story developing ...

Bubba

They don't call it the left coast for nothing.

Mee

Happiness to all

MT2

The problem with society today is that nobody wants to believe there is a standard of right and wrong. It's "whatever works for you is right for you" or "if it feels good, do it". Cultural values shift constantly. The fact is there is a right and there is a wrong. (Progressive will tell you homosexuality is right. The fact is it's not. What authority do you have to tell me it's right?!) Nobody wants to be told they are wrong. Homos are wrong. I do not hate gays. I hate the lifestyle. I love the people, though. I do not pretend their sin is greater than any of mine, because it isn't and I'm a sin too. However, I do not ask you to praise my sins! Do not ask me or anyone else in society to recognize the so-called "marriage". Keep it a civil union if you must. But you go too far asking for everyone to change the definition of marriage in a way that cheapens it to them just to suit your own arrogant selfishness.

Bubba

"If I love 3 women why can't I marry them all? Just comparing....."

Excellent point. Not only you, but all three of those ladies should have the right to marry who they want. And hey, if they happen to all want to marry you they should be allowed to!

happyaveragejane

@H8ISGR8: So glad to see that your life is filled with hate. Hating others, who you don't even know must make for an unfulfilling life. For you the end of time looks like fun I suppose. Hope you are enjoying yourself somehow person of 'gloom & doom'.

Frank

I am a Californian and I am pissed off. What is the point of voting anymore? If someone doesn't like it then they can just go to court and get it overturned. Just like Prop 187. Anyone know that the judge who over ruled this is a gay person himself? gee how surprising. I am sure he will be taking it in his ass tonight from his lover...

Awilda

What make this ppl think their opinions and lifestyles are so relevant and important as to be taken as role models by others? As far as I am concerned, they are a bunch of entitled, immoral, drug loving people. Nothing they do is going to be used in my life to improve myself. So to me, the fact that they endorse a lifestyle and a pletora of distorted views makes them more verboten than poison. Call me simple, call me biased, but I live by the concept that only a man and a woman can produce offsprings and those offsprings be raised in an environment where both sexes bring the best of their obvious differences without confusion. As much as these ppl claim that they are normal the reality of it is, that there is nothing normal about them. Insult me if you wish, call me names, wish me dead, it don't matter to me. Homosexuality is forbidden and to veer from that is simply disobedience. Interacial marriage was forbidden at one point too granted, but, we are not talking here about colors, we are talking about sexuality, let's not compare the butt to the head, is foolish.

Lizzy7

Yet another victory for those who can't accept NO. This is a for sure tell-tale sign of what's to come. Our votes mean NOTHING anymore. So, for the gays and lesbians who find this a thrilling victory, hopefully you'll be just as ecstatic when cousins can marry each other, and aunts can marry their nephews, and uncles their nieces, and hell, why not parents marrying their children. That's right, you wanted EQUAL RIGHTS for all...JUST YOU WAIT. We ain't seen nothing yet. BTW...Ellen, you need to just shut the hell up. You think everybody in the world not only cares about what you think, but actually believes what you think. Think again.

george clooney

my point exactly as noted above. gotta love those self righteous nuts, 'praise the lord' but everyone else burn in hell..ick, ick, ick!

thank 'god' some people want this country to move forward, thank god we became a country who believed in civil rights for all, i.e., the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Posted at 3:56 PM on Aug 4, 2010 by katie10

KATIE10, you sure respond to any anti-same sex comment. WHY NOT GO LICK YOUR BALLS!

christy

You people on here seem to miss a point here. This is a democracy nation. This was voted on by the people of california as it should be by every state and was voted against. Therefore no judge should have any authority to overrule what was voted on by voters. IF it had gone the other way then the gay people would be up in arms if he would of done it as well. I do not care if you are for or against this issue, you should be outraged over what is going on in this country. We fought wars in this country for a reason and are loosing more and more of those freedoms that were fought for.

Amy Newman

It's about damn time. To all the nuts screaming and hollering how 'terrible' it is that rulings can it over turned you'll need to eventuality understand that the constitution is in place to protect EVERYONE. If 52% of California voted to make being black illegal I'm fairly sure a judge would over turn it any way. "Hey, we should be able to get rid of who we want! We are the majority!"

Yeah no, this is the kinda check and balance that keeps our system in place. Today heterosexual couples have lost NOTHING. You have not had any rights taken from you...get your nose out of our business. This is a great day for America and at least shows the system does work every now and then.

P.S. LONG LIVE THE SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. Get your bible and your Christianity out of our public/government issues.

nobleday

Notice that "a federal judge" made this change not the people of California. I thought in the United States of America the people of the democracy were to decide how the country is to run...not just one person.

That means our country is now a kind of dictatorship state. We are on a dangerous and historically disastrous path when an individual can change the country.

Make friends with the people of Eastern Europe or the ex-Soviet Union to hear horror stories of how their countries were destroyed by individuals exerting their personal wishes over the wishes of the people.

This marks the beginning of the end of the United States of America as we have known it. We are now dominated by the government and controlled by the wishes of government officials.

The wisdom and laws of hundreds and hundreds of years of people are now deemed irrelevant by today's hedonistic society.

Sqiggy

WTF is wrong with these s***bag movie stars and tv stars they can come out for gay marriage but they won't come out in defense of Mel Gibson???? When the public feels the same way about gay marriage as they do about Mel/Oksana the public doesn't want it or believe in it. That's bs this is the one time I actually feel for Mel. Sick bastards.

Yeah Mr.Pips you should be able to marry any one or thing then according to this bs ruling marry as many as you want.

FREE LOVE BABY!

MT2

"LONG LIVE THE SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. Get your bible and your Christianity out of our public/government issues."

You completely misunderstand the reference you cite. Separation of church and state was in place to prevent a single national religion while allowing citizens the freedom to practice any religion they choose, not to keep religious influence out of our society - quite the opposite, actually! Do some research and you will see what I mean.

Amy Newman

Once again as I said 1,000s of comments which are screaming DICTATORSHIP! and THIS IS THE END OF AMERICA! Oh yeah and inter-racial marriage is communism still right? Please...This is point in proof that democracy isn't perfect but our system works. The majority shouldn't be allowed to vote in anything unconstitutional. If 70% of a state feels women should be enslaved that doesn't mean it's going to get instated. Sorry but some times the majority needs to protect it self from destroying them self's.