« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Montana Tears Holes in 'Rudy'

9/8/2010 11:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joe Montana has some issues with the way his former college team was portrayed in "Rudy" -- because the former Notre Dame superstar just insinuated Rudy Ruettiger was more of a joke than an inspiration.

0908_joe_audio_launch3

Montana -- who played on the 1975 Fighting Irish squad with Ruettiger -- appeared on DirecTV's Dan Patrick Show this morning and said of the flick, "It's a movie remember ... not all that's true."

After a dismissive sigh, Montana undermined some of the main storylines in the movie saying, "The crowd wasn’t chanting … nobody threw in their jerseys."

Montana acknowledged that the real Rudy did play in the final home game ... and did get a sack -- but stated that when the players carried Rudy off the field, they were "kinda playin' around ... I won't say as a joke, but playing around."

Joe finished, "He worked his butt off to get where he was ... but not any harder than anybody else."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Dustin

seriously joe let someone else have a moment. Whether or not the entire story was all true or hollywood fabrication the fact remains that he had the balls to say that no one will make me give up my dream. Young kids these days need that kind of inspiration. Besides don't you rember getting carried off the feild? granted it was because you could'nt walk....ah memories.

paul

AND THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS!!
JOE, YOUR SUCH A SCHMUCK; I LOVED THE MOVIE AND DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK.
I'VE BEEN A FAN OF JOE'S SINCE HIS COMEBACK WIN IN THE COTTON BOWL, AND ALWAYS 'THOUGHT ' HE WAS OF GREAT CHARACTER AS WELL AS TALENT, BUT I THINK HE NEEDS A HOBBY.
CERTAINLY IT WONT BE FILM CRITIC.

William Wittenauer

Absolutely love the movie, story line, the emotional moments, etc. It's a Rocky, underdog makes good against all odds, story that brought tears to my eyes! Can't believe Joe Montana would throw water on a great movie.

Tom in ProFootballHOFcity

In other "reality epiphanies":
Spartacus did not have a son with any woman named Varinia;
John Nash did not have an imaginary roommate named Charles;
Max Baer wasn't an S.O.B. to Jim Braddock or anyone else;
The Apollo 13 astronauts didn't argue over whose fault it was;
Homer Hickam didn't name his last rocket "Miss Riley";

... oh, I could go on. But, what's the point? A "fictionalized telling of a true story" is only made because the reality is compelling, but the fiction is entertaining. Without the second, the first never gets told. What Joe Montana has revealed about his own unfortunate reality is that he is JEALOUS no one has made a movie about his life... and no one will. What a sad ending to Joe's life story. I'd much rather be Rudy, overcoming adversity at a much more modest level, than have all the successes that come with talent and timing like Montana did.

I think I'll walk the 3/4 mile from my home over to the Pro Football Hall of Fame and place a black shroud over Montana's bust. No one really needs to see his shameful face right now.

mbug

Did Rudy or his family or anyone else that played at Notre Dame, have a comment about what he said? Or the person that made the movie? Wow, it is a shame. This is one of the best stories or perseverance, I hope this won't change the way I feel when I watch the movie. Thanks Joe!(And by the way, I think a doctor said that those skechers that say they will help you lose weight, and they don't really don't have any health benefits at all. Did you ask a Dr. before you decided to endorse that product? Or did it not even matter, as long as you were going to get paid?)

kathleen

Hey don't call Joe a ###.Come on , do you know him? He's an amazing guy. This is from a Chicago Bears fan. I moved there in the early 80's. I landed at a job at a fabulous bar called San Francisco Pete's. Tons of 49er fans, I really hated the 49ers, and I had to live with the Ditka gum incident. You give this guy 2 minutes and your done.It took many years to accept this. When will he be a coach? I hope he goes back with Mike Singletary as head coach. That would crate a great team. Until then, Go Bears!!

Nancy

Joe,
Are you a little jealous that you were asked a question about Rudy and not about you or your family?
I personally know Rudy. I talked to him after the movie and said I was a little surprised at the way they portrayed his life, but he said that was showbiz. But the movie was inspirational to alot of kids.
Now when is the movie portraying your life coming out? HMMMMMMM!!!!

Lowfreq13

You would expect better from Montana. He has done everything a man can do in the game of football. Led an NFL team, won a Super Bowl, been inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Why does he have to rain on Rudy's parade, especially so many years after the fact?

You'd think Joe would relate to the legend of "Rudy," having been an unheralded third-round pick who made good. You'd think he'd have more of a feel for the underdog.

BOOOOOOOOO JOE!

Samuel Cole

I have had a lot of respect for Joe Montana, but now seeing him rag on a no name college player who only had one moment in the spotlight knocks him down a few notches. Joe has had it all having highlights of the famous pass to the end zone to Jerry Rice etc and he wants more? I'm sorry but sometimes people forget that even the little guys have their moments too

Craig

Hay Joe, Rudy has inspired more kids then you ever could imagine.Why did you wait so long to blow the movie apart?
What did you prove to anyone by your stupid comments.That movie will be around long after your gone.

El Grande

Joe is an a-hole and is just acting out the fear he feels as he becomes irrelevant. He is just a jock; not a learned man, not a policy maker, not an artist. He has not contributed one bit to the betterment of this world. Rudy (the movie) will live forever and Joe's kid will suck at the professional level.

Toneloc

Joe has nothing to prove. The man was asked a question and he answered it. It takes a lot for someone to tell the truth rather than lie, along with hollywood. It's a great story but if it's not true, it's not true. You people are just mad because you were dooped. Shame, shame.

El Grande

Joe has to prove his Sketchers actually perform as advertised.

Geoff Howland

For the life of me,I cant figure out why after all this time,Joe is going to bash rudy?Any respect I had for joe is no longer!

El Grande

Everyone knows the movie is only based upon a true story. The movie was a vehicle to deliver a feel good message.

Knowing that, what is the motivation for Joe to state the obvious and maybe even attempt to destroy the feel good message by saying Rudy was hoisted onto the shoulders of his team mates as a joke.

Answer that and you will see not only into Joe's motivation but also his character.