« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Montana Tears Holes in 'Rudy'

9/8/2010 11:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joe Montana has some issues with the way his former college team was portrayed in "Rudy" -- because the former Notre Dame superstar just insinuated Rudy Ruettiger was more of a joke than an inspiration.

0908_joe_audio_launch3

Montana -- who played on the 1975 Fighting Irish squad with Ruettiger -- appeared on DirecTV's Dan Patrick Show this morning and said of the flick, "It's a movie remember ... not all that's true."

After a dismissive sigh, Montana undermined some of the main storylines in the movie saying, "The crowd wasn’t chanting … nobody threw in their jerseys."

Montana acknowledged that the real Rudy did play in the final home game ... and did get a sack -- but stated that when the players carried Rudy off the field, they were "kinda playin' around ... I won't say as a joke, but playing around."

Joe finished, "He worked his butt off to get where he was ... but not any harder than anybody else."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Robbie

Well, tomorrow I'm going to burn my DVD of "Rudy" instead of my copy of the Koran. Thank you Joe for setting me on the path of truth. Now how bout setting the record straight on why Notre Dame
hired Davie and Willingham....

adam singer

Joe Montana is nothing but an old, retired, ego maniac that has very little respect for his peers and players. He is wrong for saying such a petty thing about a great teammate that inspired millions of people in this country.

michael a. montoya

Joe, cannot believe you would even try to bring "Rudy" down like that! Are you jealous? Feeling left out? The only reason I even like you a bit is because you played for ND! I am a Cowboys by far and hated you when you played for the 49ers!
Grow up HATER and go IRISH, go RUDY and go COWBOYS!!!

gregg

"Oh, the guys just went crazy on the sideline," said Joe Montana on Charles Kuralt's "Sunday Morning" show in December 1992. "I mean, it was like we had won the national championship almost. I mean, that's how -- how excited everybody was for him."

Rita

So what! It made for a GREAT movies and ALL movies are not entirely true.There are always things added to make them more interesting.The fact that he was small and wanted this more than anything in the world is true and he got his wish.Leave it at that.GREAT Movie jut like Notre Dame is a great school

Ed Ryan

I once idolized Joe Montana. No longer.

IrishFan4Life~J

Everyone knocking Joe on here is a little jealous b!tch, and probably too young or dumb to witness him become the greatest QB in history, bc that's exactly what he is. I'm a huge Irish fan and a huge Montana fan so get your facts straight before posting your gayazz hater comments bc u don't know ****. The real Rudy was a speaker at my HS in '93 and I believe Joe, not the jelly-belly fat boy that I met. Who really cares bc it is a good movie, but stop knocking the greatest QB to hit the gridiron.......

Jim Greene

Dear Mr. Montana,
I am deeply dismayed and frankly, disappointed at your Alleged Disparaging remarks about Mr. Rudy Ruettiger. I find it hard to believe that a man of your stature and accomplishments would be so insensitive. Rudy goes all over the country helping anyone who will listen to "Never Quit on achieving their Dreams". Rudy's movie may have taken a bit of Hollywood License to make the story more appealing, however, The message is in the Struggle that Rudy went through to achieve his Goals and Dreams. For a man who was Blessed with so much God-given ability to Excel in Football, I am again deeply disappointed at your remarks toward Rudy Ruettiger. If in fact, you said these things, I believe it would be in***bent upon you to retract your Dream Crushing remarks. Rudy's Story at least helps people who would otherwise give up on their Dreams to at least Try. Perhaps a Public Apology is in order here. A Real Man would admit when he is wrong and, I believe your words, if they where in the True context, should be retracted and a public Apology is in order. Mr. Montana, Please don't be another Dream Killer, there are far too many of those in this world. The world could never have enough Rudy's in it as far as I am concerned.
Having met Rudy some years back, I can honestly say he is a Class Act and Deserves more respect and admiration for what he does to help others to believe in themselves. With all due respect Mr. Montana, you could learn a lot from a man like Rudy.
Sincerely,
Jim Greene, M.A.
Hoboken, NJ

the TRUTH

they asked a question and he told the truth sorry to burst your bubble hollywood lies don't blame him.

Rudy Fan

sounds like the golden boy is having some issues with being irrelevant nowadays and is trying to find some way to grab a piece of the spotlight for himself!

Doug

He was asked a question. What do you want him to do--lie?

Kevin Gettis

If you really listen to Montana, he's only saying a very small part of the movie wasn't accurate. The rest of the movie about Rudy never giving up, first being a student at Notre Dame and then playing football for the Irish is the REAL POINT. Who cares the scenes when the team offered their jerseys or carried him off the field was somewhat exaggerated. The point is, he had a dream and he NEVER gave up on that dream!!! For Montana to come along and point out these small parts is shameful and he does need to GET OVER HIMSELF!!

zeppette

ok, if anybody actually listeded to the whole interview, the question was asked and Joe was hesitant to talk about it. Its not like he was out to crap on anyones parade.

mishguy

Rudy became a Janitor!..how is that inspiring to anyone? thats all he did after he left N.D. now he gives motivational speeches? too funny.

Darren Bocksnick

Rudy Ruettiger did more than just capture a leather wrapped ball, he captured the hearts of a nation. "Rudy" did more than just become an icon of victory for Notre Dame, he became an icon of inspiration to the world. Though it wasn't his impressive physical stature or skillful prowess that earned him the ranks of greatness; it was the size of his heart, the strength of his indomitable will and the skillful prowess he exhibited in pursuing a dream that bestows him the honor of greatness.