Ben Harper Blindsides Laura Dern with Divorce

10/10/2010 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ben Harper stunned Laura Dern by filing for divorce late Friday afternoon … TMZ has learned.

Laura Dern divorce.
Harper, a two-time Grammy winner, filed legal docs citing irreconcilable differences and is asking the judge to deny Dern spousal support.

And here's what's interesting … according to the papers, Harper claims he and Dern separated back in January. But people connected with the couple, who married back in 2005, tell TMZ they have been living and traveling together throughout the year and were even intimate as recently as last week.

Harper is asking for joint legal and physical custody of the couple's two kids: Ellery, 9, and Jaya, 5.

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

Mark

Oh Dern it, Everyone knows that relationships only last for a max of 10 years then you rotate out. The wedding industry promotes divorce but subtly so they can make more $ on remarries.

Wasn't Ben Harper the 3rd brother on 2 1/2 men? He's the one who had father #2 or 3 so he couldn't be in the show.

I can understand this divorce since Dern is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Denise

That sheepdog hair-in-the-eyes look... the lips that look as though there should be a little bow at each corner of the mouth... the totally gorgeous man in the photo ... what's wrong with this picture?

steph

seduction is a powerful thing,there probably would be less wars if man could think with their gray matter, instead of their little head...wouldnt that be something...dont care what religion you are!!! does anyone remember the ten commandments???

Suzi B

she knew, she is just digging for gold by using her acting skills to milk victim sympathy
he was married when she got pregnant with their first child
where was her sympathy for his first wife, heartless I would say
he won't regret not having her, no way

Melanie

I spoke with someone who personally knows Harper and apparently he is a HUGE narcissist. You can tell just by the ****y/arrogant look in his face. There's just something about his expression that screams fake a**shole.

Narcissists have no problem 'dropping people' and walking away from their spouse and own children as if they were no more important than a piece of furniture. They lack empathy. I feel sorry for his kids, who he probably doesn't even care about...Narcissists are more concerned with themselves and their image.

Sardina

I'm sure his 1st wife was also blindsided when Laura Dern jacked up his 1st family, while his wife was pregnant. Hindsight must be 20/20.

Criss

Sorry for her

Ronels

Bah.... Why not other couple :( Me myself and my wife really were related to this couple heh... I myself only more darker than him. Btw I've met my 15 years married wife singin lol in a small town in Brazil (just amateur & robby) when I had like 19 years... she had 25. we did force the first chat but then, we so got a happy and healthy life. Difficult times but together we easly won.

The problem with these celebrities its that amount attention and money. Ben Harper seems like a husband kind guy not a retarded thug probably they had big divergences to split after almost 6 years committed. A shame.

Quote by KevinK:
"Oh and BTW, 90% of ALL men cheat and I'm being
conservative in that percentage."

NO at all my friend. I dunno about USA but not at all.

I'm pretty happy with my first and only love married per 15 years and we couldn't love each other more (we have 2 kids). I pass any other "ass" don't matter how pretty or exocit the girl is. Marriage should be a serious besisness.

Grant

They are successful enough to not have the
usual trials of us ordinary marrieds! U know - rates,
tiredness, worry, worry, kids school stuff ,bills.
Put your money into your marriage you guys!!!!!!

susan sager

They say that Karma does happen and happen for a reason = ain't that right Laura Dern!

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11