The Beaver 'Saddened' by Death of Barbara Billingsley

10/16/2010 6:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jerry Mathers, who played The Beaver on "Leave It to Beaver" just gave this statement to TMZ on the passing of Barbara Billingsley:

1016_jerry_mathers_barbara_billingsley_getty_ex
"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend and lifetime mentor Barbara Billingsley. She will live in the hearts of her fans as a wonderful actress and be remembered by her friends as a gracious lady. Barbara was a patient advisor and teacher. She helped me along this challenging journey through life by showing me the importance of manners, and respect for others. She will be deeply missed by all of her family, friends, fans and most especially by me."

As for Jerry, he also tells TMZ he's "excited to be getting married in January at the Waterfront Hilton in Huntington Beach."

diogenes

Alot of people grew up watching this show. Good memories. Prayers. Class act.

Andolini

She was an Icon...she was an example to all women who wanted to be good mothers..not like what we hear today about mothers and step mothers killing kids and babies... R.I.P. Barbara...Your work here is done...:o(

ETM

What's amazing is Jerry Mathers had time to issue a statement. What, with all of nothing going on.

janet

Sad to hear. God bless. Rest in peace.

On a happier note, congrats on your upcomming wedding.

dd

Love u too Jerry, bless her she had a great long life..

my opinion

RIP Barbara you will truly be missed

soulofanangel

She had 40 years more than John Ritter.

She had 32 years more than Farrah Faucett.

Rest In Peace.

simon

Kind words, Beav and congrats on your marriage..

ETEE

I will always remember her for June Cleavers most famous line:
"Ward. Don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver?"

janet

Golly gee, Wally. Or when the beaver got in real trouble. Theodore. But, golly gee Mom, golly gee Dad.

jintz

America's #1 mother is gone as is part of hundreds of thousands of Baby Boomers childhood. What a long wonderful life, she will be truly missed and forever remembered. If only women of today were as classy - pearls instead of tattoos !!! Congrats to you Jerry, you were hilarious as a youngster and brought many laughs into my childhood. Best Wishes to all remaining cast members ....

Rick

I grew up watching her, thought all mothers liked like her except mine. Then found out there could only be one June Cleaver. A little bit of me has died today,RIP feel very sorry.

ScroogeMcDuck

Was it really necessary for him to throw in the part about him being excited about getting married?

Anyway.. RIP June Cleaver and the Nanny from Muppet Babies!!

Melinda

June & Ward Cleaver were 'my' parents. I was taken from my home at age 2. I watched pretending they were my parents as they looked SO much like my mom & dad. That show really made my day back then :)

mltroy21

It is Sad.. She was a role model..But to those who want to be smart mouthed..Do have a little respect..this is not the time..tomorrow., you can be hateful in your sad little lives..and criticize whomever you think to pick on..let everyone else who loved her be sad and happy to have seen her, Barbara deserved to have her fans be sad and for the "BEAVER"
after all he was her family too...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments