Princess Diana's Ring

Now In Kate's Hands

11/16/2010 2:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Prince William has revealed that he proposed to Kate Middleton with his mom's engagement ring -- the same one Princess Di stopped wearing after Charles cheated on her ... which in turn, ruined the marriage, embarrassed the royals and tore the family apart. Bling Bling!!

Kate Middleton Engagement Ring
Diana famously picked out the £30,000 ring -- which consisted of 14 diamonds surrounding a sapphire -- back in 1981. They divorced in 1996.

So we gotta ask ...

0709_ring_bling_footer

Maggie Walker

NO!NO!NO! Too creeepppyyyyy! That ring portrays lies,tears, and betrayal. . . . No symbol of real happinesss and love at all!Think about it?!Was Diana really happy??????The royals can be big time show-off!

Barbie

It's a beautiful gesture, but I don't believe that ring should be on someone else's finger ever again. Maybe as someone else said, that it should be passed to a granddaughter of the King, but not to the wife.

But at the end of the day, I also think Princess Diana would have been honored to give William that ring herself for this engagement. One where the chances of lasting love will be brought upon it ! I don't know, very mixed feelings about it.

Kathy

There was not a curse to start with. Its love that binds the couple together if William is a good man he will bring good to the relationship not what Diana got a threesom Marriage.
Think of your Mother William and be a Good Husband.

Jax

I think Diana would be proud for her son's future wife to wear her ring. I'm English and I remember watching the telly when Charles & Diana got engaged. I remember that an interviewer asked Charles if it was true love to which he replied... "whatever love is". He was obviously forced into a marriage that he never wanted and Diana was a victim of this. Looking at William & Kate is entirely different. You can see how much they love each other and how much fun they are together. I wish them all the best and no, I don't think the ring is cursed.

Rach

That idea about the ring is the stupidest idea I've heard for a while. Marriage is what you make of it.

Mike

Seriously, enough of this negativity! This beautiful young woman and proud young man have decided, after many years, to marry and possibly have a family. God Bless them!!! This article is ridiculous e.g., the misery it portrays about the ring. He is proud to have his fiance wear his Mother's engagement ring -- good for him! We live once folks -- wouldn't you rather live thinking of the good things that we've been blessed with vs. the negative, probably brought on by our own sins, way of life!?? ENOUGH BS TMZ TRY POSTING POSTIVE THINGS ABOUT PEOPLES LIVES VS. ALL THE NEGATIVE S! SHAME ON YOU!!

Kristin

@ Nicollette...get your facts straight! That ring was not 'given' to William or Harry. mslhasa is right...Harry chose the ring shortly after Diana died. I do agree with Anne though. The ring should definitely stay in the family and giving it to the first granddaughter would have been most sentimental. Also, it would have been nice for Kate to have her own ring (or at the very least, modify Diana's ring).

Alexadra_Covington

Well, this cuts the cost of the ring in half -- so critics of royal spending, beware! It IS a beautiful ring. And when you look at it from the side, it looks like a miniature Royal crown, only with blue velvet instead of red velvet! (I think part or all of Diana's spirit is in that ring....and it will bring good luck and love to she who wears it, and he who gave it!) <3 <3

karen

Hope it's not a jinx.

lisa

this is not a ring that will curse the couple - the simple fact is that Princess Di's marriage was cursed b/c the Prince was forced to marry her when all he really wanted to do was marry carmilla parker bowles. Prince William on the other hand loves Kate and has been with her for 9 years. I have faith this will last as they love each other, sidestep the Queen Mum and her ridiculous rules..the exact opposite of what his father did..

Carol

I do not think of this ring as "cursed"; it is simply a piece of jewelry! This marriage was not an "arranged" marriage as Charles and Diana's was; William truly loves Kate-you can tell by the way that they look at eaach other! I personally wish them all the happiness in the world!

Carol

Congratulations, William and Kate on your engagement; I think your mother would have been very proud, and I think Kate realizes the responsibility and honor it is to wear that ring! May you both have many years of happiness; I know Diana would have wanted it for you!

No Ordinary Woman

Gemstone engagement rings are shaking up the engagement jewelry world and rightfully so! These rich, exotic sparklers not only are thought to have healing powers but also bless your marriage with a variety of love attributes! Here at Carats & Colors we are dedicated to crafting you an heirloom piece made only with the absolute finest materials from around the world that will last for generations to come. We are very proud to offer the finest pieces that until now, could only be obtained from the most elite jewelry designer houses and boutiques around the world. Gemstone Engagement Rings

precious

i want to wear the ring myself....if only i could,but im just a silly frog! kokak..kokak...

cheryl

The ring was in Harry's possession and obviously a future queen should have her own ring designed. And use Diana's for special occasions as a right hand ring. The ring to me seems sad with it's past. No matter how much William feels about his mom and the ring, his future wife should be her own woman and not walk in the shadows of Diana. Diana was not your usual mother in law!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments