« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Female Boxing Legend -- Shot, Stabbed, Hospitalized

11/24/2010 5:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Female boxing legend Christy Martin -- who graced the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1996 -- is recovering after being shot AND stabbed yesterday ... and cops believe the attacker is her husband.

Christy Martin Shot

Cops in Orange County, Florida claim the 42-year-old former boxing champion -- who once fought on an undercard for Mike Tyson -- managed to stumble out of her home and flag down a passing motorist ... who took Christy to a local hospital.

Christy -- despite being SHOT AND STABBED -- mustered up enough strength to tell police that the man who pulled the trigger was her 66-year-old husband and boxing trainer James Martin.

Cops are currently on the hunt for Martin.

TMZ spoke with Don King -- Christy's former promoter -- who tells us, "I am shocked and saddened to see this happen to Christy. I send my prayers and well wishes."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Violette-Blue

I don't know who she is, but this is just sad. I pray for a speedy recovery. I hope they catch her husband.

JLS

Boxing attracts some very violent types. Hence the extreme desire to punch someone until they are unconcious. It's a very dirty business.

I wish her better days. She certainly doesn't deserve this outcome.

Tammy

There's a 24 year difference between her and her husband. Do we really need to think hard on what she could've happened? I suspect a man around her own age is involved.

dd

And let the holidays begin!

karlew

This is what cowardly goofs do when they're to scared to hit wifey cause she'd kick the crap out of him if he did. Nothing more dangerous than a frustrated wife beater.

Tammy

Posted at 12:23 PM on Nov 24, 2010 by karlew

Why do you think he wanted to beat her? I think it's pretty clear his intend was to kill her.

Stupid People Hater

Now that is a tough woman. Hope she recovers 100%.

cgasucks

She's one tough lady!!! I'm not surprised if she is well enough to go back home the next day!

Carlos

Why people puting RIP, as far as I known she havnt die,,,
Anyway I knew them, Its a shock to me, because they always were together
I was invited to their house and share time with them in and out of the gym

Ted Sheckler

He prob found her getting it from some black gang banger/boxer so he did the right thing and took a gun to the whore.

Yidmash

Been there done that..box of rocks

Vonn

@ Tammy, or a woman her age

Harpoo67

Tis but a scratch.....just a flesh wound.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

maybe he finally realized she was a man..

Pagan

Judging by a few of these comments, some of you feel it is perfectly acceptable to kill a woman if you suspect/catch her fooling around. By that logic, should women too be allowed to kill men they catch fooling around? After all, more men than women cheat. Sounds to me like it's open season on the boys. Fair is fair - isn't it?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments