Miley's Herb Salvia

Classified as

'Drug of Concern'

12/10/2010 10:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Miley Cyrus' drug of choice -- salvia -- has been listed as a "drug of concern" by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency.

Salvia Effects: What is Salvia
According to the DEA -- salvia is a Mexican herb that can be smoked to "evoke hallucinogenic effects."

In fact, the DEA states, "Psychic effects include perceptions of bright lights, vivid colors and shapes, as well as body movements and body or object distortions."

But that's not all -- the DEA adds ... other effects include uncontrolled laughter and overlapping realities. Negative physical effects may include incoordination, dizziness, and slurred speech.

According to Scientific American Magazine, the DEA is currently "looking into the drug" to determine if it should be considered "on par" with LSD and heroin.

However, research conducted by several universities -- including Harvard -- show salvia may have some serious medicinal value ... and could help improve treatments for conditions like schizophrenia and addiction.

Dr. Joe Haraszti -- an L.A. psychiatrist -- tells us, "Animal data suggest that salvia is not addictive. But people will try it once and since it's such an intense and unpleasant experience that they will not want to do it again."

The battle over salvia is raging in the scientific community. Currently, it's legal in most U.S. states ... including California.

Leslie

Is this the same plant I have growing in my flower beds ?

Alan van der Woerd

Salvia is a powerful drug that will destroy a lot more brain cells than pot; legal or not. It rots your mind more like peyote, crack, or crystal-meth. As the video shows, this girl is stupid, needs major clinical intervention, and is no example to anyone.

c

Salvia is a crappy drug and I can't believe anyone (especially Miley Cyrus, who has the money to get whatever she wants) likes it or would use it more than once. The "hallucinogenic effects" last about 5 seconds and then all you have is one hell of a headache. It's not even worth classifying it as an illegal drug because it really does nothing.

Deviant

Hey 59... I REALLY hope they do!!! I dont understand why salvia is legal and not pot?? Its so much worse! It was stupid for them to say it was salvia, thats like saying "Oh I don't like getting a buzz, I like getting totally trashed!!"

Cat

Salvias are sages - the kind you put in your Thanksgiving dressing. There are thousands of kinds of salvias - many are common houseplants that you buy at the nursery.

Randy

She's young(but legal) and rich, so she can therefore do whetever the hell she wants. Daddy can't say **** about it, except to express his dismay. Can't really stop her, she's the breadwinner.

d33zy

I've done a bit of research on it, as its the 1st time I've heard of it. Other then the actual smoking, it appears to be harmless. I think weed is stronger then this stuff though it doesnt have the same effects. Marijuana seems to relax you, this stuff just has you in a whole nother world. But if anyone has died from ether I'd sure like to know lol. Wonder if you can put it in a vaporizer. That'll kill off all the smoking effects. By the way, Alcohol is stronger then both weed and this stuff. Just thought I'd put that out there.. and causes more deaths then I can count.

jb

Julia

how the heck is this stuff even legal? sounds like all the other illegal drugs!

Jeepers

I don't really enjoy hallucinating as a rule.

SunshiningTC

Miley is going beyond anyone's conrol, She's in a bad fase of her life as what hapened to her parents and turning 18 is a sudden change for a teen in her situation of fame and insecure future...but this BONG thing is totally wrong and I don't think it worths going into this path.

YOYOMIAOO

Savlia is very strong and very scary. I have done it and will never again. I made others try it too and they say the same. It lasted for 5 - 10 min and I felt bad for 30 min after. I dont recommend anybody to ever try it... I still love Miley just wish she would not be so open to video. Most teens experiment.. just better not be a habit.

SuzieQ

I don't know much about this drug, but people say it is legal, and yes it may be legal in California but in the state I live in it's illegal. I'm from Kansas and they banned it 2 years ago. Everyone does makes mistakes and later regrets something, that's how you get life lessons so hopefully she will learn something from this video being released and it will change her life for the better.

Eliza

Okay so does this mean Miley is on her way to being a heroin addict ? I doubt it..Let her have her fun

Bill Clay

Stop being chumps, TMZ. Salvia incapacitates users to the point of not being able to talk. You don't get the giggles from salvia, you get it from smoking MARIJUANA. Stop printing every lame excuse the celebrities publicists give you.