Richard Chamberlain to Gay Actors: Don't Come Out!

12/27/2010 8:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hollywood legend Richard Chamberlain -- a gay man who revealed his sexuality in 2003 -- has fired off some shocking advice to other gay actors: Stay in the closet!

Richard Chamberlain Gay

76-year-old Chamberlain -- who became a teen idol in the '60s playing the lead role on "Dr. Kildare" -- told The Advocate, "Personally, I wouldn't advise a gay leading man-type actor to come out."

Chamberlain explained, "There's still a tremendous amount of homophobia in our culture" -- adding, "Despite all the wonderful advances that have been made, it's still dangerous for an actor to talk about that."

Chamberlain continues, "For an actor to be working [at all] is a kind of miracle, because most actors aren't ... so it's just silly for a working actor to say, 'Oh, I don't care if anybody knows I'm gay' -- especially if you're a leading man."

Ginger

So in Hollywood, you can preach to the rest of the country about the wonders of being gay but if you are yourself, don't tell. Frankly, I'm not interested in anyone's sexuality. What they do and who they do it with is their business.

Y do he got

The box office of gay actors also isn`t as good.He`s right as far as I have seen in my lifetime.I`am not gay but have seen many gay people get messed with and put down.In the army in 1976 they murded gay guys so it isn`t not ask don`t tell it`s don`t harrass DON~T KILL.I Tryed to defend two gay guys in fort dix but a crazy drill sargent murded them in cold blood.. I would have had to steal a M16 and bullets and kill about 10 drill sargents to save them..I failed! trying.

Phreaky

So stupid. Sorry Richard, but if everyone in Hollywood DID come out, they would have no choice but to overlook their sexuality, which would lead to it becoming accepted. If you continue to hide it as though it's shameful, it will continue to be a problem. It sure hasn't slowed down Neil Patrick Harris' career, he's more in demand than he was before he came out, and he plays a lead straight actor.
What you are overlooking here is that slowly there has become as many gay execs in Hollywood MAKING the decisions as their are gay actors.
Your advice is ridiculous.

tracker

I AGREE.IF I KNOW YOUR GAY AND YOU PLAY THE LEADING MAN IN A LOVE STORY WITH A WOMAN WELL I JUST WOULDN,T BUY IT!I ACTUALLY JUST WOULDN,T GO TO IT.SIDE NOTE.RICHARD CHAMBERLAND WAS MY 1ST LOVE.I WAS 12 YRS. HMMM HE REALLY IS A GOOD ACTOR. I AS WELL AS MANY YOUNG GIRLS WAS SURE HE WAS GOING TO MARRY US.LOL.....

Y do he got

But on the other hand IF someone wants to come out..they should be allowed too and if anyone trys to kill them nowadays they should be shot dead..I would have started a war at fort dix in 1976 defending my own troops from anti-gays killing them check any public newspaper record of fort dix in 1976 and you will see murded gays there.It`s still a deal I wish I could have prevented but the crazy drill sargent chained them to thier box springs ane beat them to death over two weeks with no food or water.I`d still kill the A hole if I could have.he had no right to kill them and he went down for it.But to die for being yourself and hurting no one thats a real crime that should get life for anyone that does that.

lou

Is it really homophobia? The thing is, Hollywood is just about sex. We want people to look sexy so we can fantasize about having sex with them. The problem is, if an actor is openly gay, it becomes much harder to fantasize about having sex with them. If Hollywood served another purpose or if movies actually had older actors or plots that didn't all revolve around sex and sexual attraction, then this might not be as big an issue as it is. But as things stand in Hollywood, you can't really sell sex to someone if the "product" doesn't exude sexuality. Unless, of course, the target audience is also homosexual. Then it's not really an issue.

And yes, you can say that a good actor can overcome anything but can they really overcome the fundamental desire of a woman to have sex with a man who is attracted to women? Or vice versa if the actor is a woman.

mary

That's the best advice to ever "come out" of a gay mouth.

Jennyy

Why does anyone HAVE to come out? What consenting adults do behind closed doors is their business. Why is America so obsessed with the sex lives of others? Your sex life is like your medical records. Personal and private. Or at least it should be.

papprorattist

Four? like he`s saying it isn`t safe yet? BUT as people age they lose thier fears..he knows but I don`t think as many people are shooting them down now? less the WHOLE GOP!.I`d die defending humans anywhere anytime rather than be shipped off to some far off land in a war to save the world always the last american war.The war is one here and now in out own country for human rights as in defend the oppressed screw the GOPPY`s playing god withthemselfs as overlordSS

papprorattist

Those whom care already know and those who don`t will cast stones as they are as blind as the stones they cast.

gutsygirl

Personally, if I know an actor is gay it is difficult for me to watch their movies and feel their attraction toward the opposite sex. Even years after they "came out" it is hard to watch Rock Hudson with Doris Day...or Richard Chamberlain in The Thornbirds. I have many gay friends but I wouldn't pay to see them in a romantic comedy.

Emm

Reminds me of that old saying "DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO"...

Hollywood ain't nothin' but a BIG MOUTH piece. That empty and never has anyones back and always waiting to put the knife in deeper.

That's why they coined the phrase "Keepin' it on the down-low".

LittleJoe

As a hetero i wonder where this homophobia cames from.
I have no problem with them.
But strangely many conservatives who pray against homosexuality (and make money with than opinion) are gay or betray their wives with male prostitutes.
Or about catholic church...but that now goes too far.

alex

It's dishonest to say you're not gay when you are and you have to lead life in secret...not good for you or the public..everyone usually get's outted and that's an ugly thing. If it means losing your job as a sexy leading man so be it...there are lots of other roles you can play and more and more movies are being made with gay actors. As long as gay men and women continue to hide their sexual identity the longer homosexuality is shameful. I'm not gay...but I do think leading an open and honest life is healthier. You're right I don't want to fantasize about a gay man in a leading man straight role.

siennagold

Best advice I've heard of a leading man who came out to other leading men out there who are gay!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments