Congresswoman Shot in Arizona

1/8/2011 5:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot at a grocery store in Tucson, AZ this morning -- and she has been rushed into surgery for a gunshot wound to the head.

0108_Gabrielle_Giffords_ap_bn
After several outlets reported she had died, a hospital spokesperson told MSNBC Giffords was alive and in surgery.

The 40-year-old Democrat was hosting an event at a Safeway when the gunman reportedly began shooting.

According to several reports, the alleged gunman was taken into custody. According to NPR, witnesses described the alleged shooter as being in his late teens or early 20s.

Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona's 8th District in 2006.

Story developing ...

UPDATE 6:45 PM PT -- According to the Pima County Sheriff's Department, a total of six people died and 12 were wounded as a result of the shooting.

UPDATE 3:02 PM PT -- Sources tell the AP the suspect in the shooting is saying he acted alone.

UPDATE 1:12 PM PT -- According to the doctor, a 9-year-old died in connection with the shooting. It has also been reported that U.S. District Judge John Roll has died as well.

UPDATE 1:02 PM PT
-- A surgeon at the hospital says Giffords is out of surgery and her prospects are "optimistic." She was shot one time in the head, through and through. He added, "We cannot tell what kind of recovery, but I'm about as optimistic as it can get in this situation."

UPDATE 12:55 PM PT -- The suspect has been identified as Jared Lee Loughner.

UPDATE 12:50 PM PT -- Richard J. Kastigar, the bureau chief for the Pima County Sheriff's Department, is saying 18 people were injured. The weapon in question was a pistol with an extended magazine.

UPDATE 12:45 PM PT -- Deputy City Manager Richard Miranda tells KVOA in Arizona that Rep. Giffords is currently in surgery, and doctors say she is expected to pull through.

UPDATE 12:15 PM PT -- A statement from President Obama reads in part, "We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society. I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers."

UPDATE 12:01 PM PT -- A public information officer at University Medical Center tells CNN that Giffords and nine others are in surgery, saying that Giffords "is currently in surgery for a gunshot wound to the head

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Sassy

Disgusting! 12 people minding their own business...

Now I'm hearing she was shot in the head. Just awful!

I'm hearing she was holding a constituent meeting at the store.

Motive?

haskel420

dead

Miss Marie

I've Never Heard Of Her?

fleshTH

NPR is reporting she has died. http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367/congresswoman-shot-in-arizona

Mike w

I hope she is okay. There is no reason to use violence against someone no matter how much you dissagree with them. This is shameful.

123

So sad! :( By the way, it's Tucson, not TUSCAN! Nice TMZ!

Sassy

Just saw TMZ's update.

My sympathies to her family and those 6 other families, as well as the survivors to heal from their injuries.

Jennifer

So terrible...R.I.P.

JJ

SAD.

What the Hell is this Country coming to??

Martina

Sarah Palin needs to understand that the tea party has gone too far.
This is awful.

Trish

What a sad day. I've spent some time in Tuscon and it's a beautiful town with great people. Hard to believe this happened there. May the shooter burn in hell.

rico

I BET THE SHOOTER WAS A GLEN BECK VIEWER.

There Goes My Show

Sarah Palin needs to understand that the tea party has gone too far.
This is awful.

Posted at 11:17 AM on Jan 8, 2011 by Martina

For you to make a post like this is DISGUSTING ! You are more of the problem in this country that those you speak of. How FKNG dare you blame someone other than the shooter for this action. You make me sick - I hope you languish in your miserable life. An no, I am not a support of Palin or a non-support but a decent moral human being.

Fred Farkel

So help me Jesus H. Christ - if the shooter was an illegal alien, then Obama and Napolitano should be arrested and lynched by the US military.

There just comes a time when folks have to say NO MORE MADNESS.

mamajj

They are reporting among the dead is a child. Just horrific.
RIP Gabby RIP all who were killed.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments