A.J. McLean in Rehab

1/13/2011 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

A.J. McLean from the Backstreet Boys has gone into rehab again ... TMZ has learned.

A.J. McLean Rehab

One source tells TMZ McLean has been "out of control" in the last few months because of substance abuse, and it was interfering with plans for the Backstreet Boys' upcoming tour with New Kids on the Block.

Sources say on a Backstreet Boys cruise last month ... A.J. appeared under the influence much of the time.

McLean has battled addiction for years. He was in rehab in both 2001 and 2002 for alcohol and cocaine abuse.

McLean made a cryptic reference on his Twitter account, writing on January 9, "I love u all and wish me luck! I start my sober journey tomm!"

On January 10, McLean tweeted,  "See u on the other side!"

Video shot during a BSB cruise for fans last month shows McLean with what looks like a beer -- amber liquid with foam on top.

011310_aj_mclean_video4

UPDATE: A.J. released a statement saying, "For personal reasons, I’ve checked myself into a rehab clinic. With 2011 being a busy year for Backstreet, I want to be healthy and perform & sing for people at my very best and happiest. None of this will affect our current tour plans and I look forward to seeing everyone really soon! Thank you for all of your support and respecting my family and friends privacy during this time."

Flip Gunderson

How is this even 'news'?

MIDNIGHT TOKER

who cares,unless your some loser that would actually go see these blohards

Amber

1. It's McClean not McClain.
2. AJ does not have a twitter...
3. It's bull crap to make up false stories.
4. Even if he were going back to rehab, it's not our business...but we can pray and wish him well. He is a great guy, and doesn't deserve all the harse criticisms. EVERYONE makes mistakes, and you have to learn from them, and sometimes it takes several times to learn. So criticize yourself before you criticize others, please.

AJ, no idea if this is true or not, but best of luck to you whichever, and if KC Tix weren't sold out...I'd say see you at the show! But you have support from all your fans, and you will do great just keep believin' in the Lord above, and you're grandmother is up there watching over you, don't disappoint her. :)

Caitlin605

I really hope AJ gets the help he needs. Its sad when you hear or read about people struggling with substances. My mother is an alcoholic and it is HARD dealing with that sh** everyday! My father died due to drinking. He effed his liver up and had had to have a transplant. I mean he had other things wrong but drinking did the worst on him.

So I really hope, for AJ, he went into rehab himself and wasn't forced and realizes he has a lot going for him, drinking and drugs are not it.

Good luck, AJ! LOVE YOU!

Stefie

Some people really need to learn what respect is ....

He have serious problem people !! You have every right to dont like his music ! But show some respect for someone who try to fix serious problem in his life !!

Its a sad news and i really hope that he get better soon ...And if its have to take months to deal with it and report some show so do it...I prefer him feel better than having him on stage and not be better !!

Stefie

to Amber

AJ have a twitter its @skulleeroz
and this story its true ! He announce it on his twitter and on his mom radio show

Caitlin605

He better be better by July!! I've already bought my tix!

Posted at 9:52 AM on Jan 13, 2011 by Shannon

---------------------------------------------

Wow! How rude can you be? This is his HEALTH, which IMO is more important than a tour. Have you EVER dealt with an addiction or someone with an addiction? It's not fun. I am a fan of BOTH NKOTB and BSB. And really, if they cancel the tour for AJ. I would totally be ok with that.

chante

sigh!alexander james,alexander james,alexander james!

D Wayne

Not a fan. I guess he wants to be AJ Mcleanandsober.

Lindsay

I hope he gets better in time for the summer tour!

Ozzie X

He needs a hobby. Boredom is the devil's play ground

(◣_◢)

brittany

what a big f*cking surprise

na

Aj Has a long year ahead of him with the "this is us tour" in south america with the nkotbsb tour this summer a new bsb album soon. I wish him the best and know its going to be a great year for him.

tlynn

You people are too funny! The dude is a drug addict. He made a conscious choice to indulge in the first place. Now the dude is a drug addict & an alcoholic! Do you know why? Because he's not ready to quit, and I'm sure this whole reunion thing is stressful on him, considering it was one of the worst ideas since Heidi recording a record!!!

NJ

This makes me so sad. Hang in there AJ. Alcoholism isn't something easy to overcome. Especially when you're around it all the time. DOn't give up on yourself because we Fans aren't giving up on YOU. Love You AJ....

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments