Ricky Gervais and De Niro

'Golden' Controversies

1/17/2011 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ricky Gervais and Robert De Niro both talked their way into a firestorm at the "Golden Globes" last night ... after each attempted risky jokes that some consider downright offensive.

0117_gervais_gay_launchRobert De Niro Golden Globes
Gervais' dig came while commenting on the movie, "I Love You Phillip Morris" -- when he said, "Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay – which is the exact opposite of some famous Scientologists ... probably." Gervais added, "My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."

A short time later, De Niro left jaws hanging while thanking the Hollywood Foreign Press for his lifetime achievement award ... saying, "I'm sorry more members of the foreign press aren't with us tonight, but many were deported right before the show along with most of the waiters. And Javier Bardem."

So we gotta ask ...

0117_globes_footer

Rocko

Gervais was hysterical! Its kinda like the pot calling the kettle black, with DeNiro making the immigrant comment, but he is sitting there with a "sister".

Posted at 3:20 PM on Jan 17, 2011 by really?
------
What does a "sister" have to do with immigrants? That's his wife, who is, you guessed it, AMERICAN. Born and raised in America. There's this thing called Google, you should try it.

*Insert foot in mouth.*

*BTW: Not all Americans got offended. I'm American and I loved Gervais last night!

Atlantaguy

I LOVED Gervais in the Golden Globes. The only people who really showed their asses were Tom Hanks and Tim Allen (who are they again?) when they tried to quip back at him, and later when Robert D Jr. said he was offended by Gervais's intro for him (why Robert - was any of it UNtrue? No - thought not).

Geez folks, you're not winning the Peace Prize - you're winning one of a dozen entertainment awards that honestly, we the public could care less about. Lighten up or retire.

artofsarcasm

Bite a cougar, get botulism. Eat soup, throw it up. Does any thing in Hollweird make sense? Frankly, roasts are hysterical...that Hasselhoff one was fantastic. And I do miss Joan Rivers saying things like it looked like Natalie Portman had a cherry Cruller on her chest, or saying "She Bangs" about Sandra Bullock's hairdo. Come on. They get paid millions to be entertainment and then go to therapy for feeling "objectified". Really? Charlie Sheen lost a watch valued at what I've made in 12 years of 70 hour work weeks? So yes, we like them if we can level them a bit. Who sprouts feathers from their arse and expects to be taken seriously?

Jason Griffin

Regardless of whether or not Gervais was out of line, America is craving nice. More on my blog at http://www.jasongriffin.net/blog/2011/1/17/for-today-anyway-the-pendulum-shifts-to-nice.html

Josh

NONE OF THE ABOVE! BOTH FUNNY, STOP BEING SO DAMN SENSITIVE!

kyo

learnmachine your the ****, hit it right on the money ty.

alex

I love Robert De Niro but that comment blew it. He kind of "Ruined It" for me. IDIOT!!! When in reality most of those actors were waiters/servers before they became actors/famous and now those jobs belong to the hard workers "HISPANICS". How could Robert be so "Ignorant" I thought he was educated. Maybe he feels threaten that a percentage in that room were "Hispanics". Because I don't think he was racist when he's married to a beatiful black women. I just think he was just "Ignorant" :(a bad joke gone bad!

NICOLE

Well..if some people in here applauded Ricky Gervais for telling the truth in his jokes, I'm not going to make a joke but I'm going to tell the truth also.

No wonder all over the world they think that the Americans they have not class. First at all we LOVE the crap that media use to give us everyday in shows,TV, magazines and so on..So, it's not a surprise that most of you loved Ricky Gervais and his lack of class. They were not jokes, but it was a clear act of bullying other people in public.

Robert de Niro speech was shocking.C'mom!! was a recognition award for god sake! He ruined the whole thing with that stupid joke about immigration and Javier Bardem.

No class, no dignity, totally a trashy night. I really missed Billy Crystal.

NICOLE

Oh! I forgot to write about the way Gervais presented Rober Downey Jr. That was the ice of the cake. Totally disgusting.

Please,Gervais rush to a dentist. Your teeth make you look like a vampire. ( I hope you like my true/ joke.)

Carvey

I wasn't offended by either comment. Though apparently Harvey was. But then again Harvey is a closeted gay and mant of the TMZ paps are illegals so I can see why TMZ would fail to include a "Neither" option.

Carvey

I wasn't offended by either comment. Though apparently Harvey was. But then again Harvey is a closeted gay and many of the TMZ paps are illegals so I can see why TMZ would fail to include a "Neither" option.

TLC

All the remarks Ricky made, they are all partially true. The foreign press just want to handle the stars in the kid gloves. Charlie Sheen and Mel gibson jokes, they deserve it. Bruce - not his fault but the Kucher-Demi age difference is true. Scientolo thing is probably most offensive to all because of Xenu. Robert Downy Jr. all facts/truth. Nomination of Jolie/Halle Berry and Burlequse also for the "show" and everybody knows they don't deserve it. Tom and Tim, that was a little mean. ha ha They said TV viewing audience love it; the celebs in the room hate it.

Aunt Pol

Gervais is freaking hilarious! You American's with no sense of humour...get a life.

Rocko

Posted at 10:06 PM on Jan 17, 2011 by NICOLE
-------
That was a BAD "joke".

NoBreederRat

It's one thing to generalize like Gervais but DeNiro named another actor. Even if Javier wasn't offended it is still out of line. DeNiro, has issues with race and always has.

The Church of Scientology will take care of Gervais, unfortunately. I'd write an immediate apology. From all accounts, it's unwise to be on their **** list.