Regis Philbin -- I'm Retiring from the Talk Show

1/18/2011 11:14 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin says he's finally ready to give up his talk show gig ... after 28 years on the morning shift.

0910_media_removed_Spencer_Pratt
79-year-old Philbin made the announcement this morning on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

Regis said he'll tape his last show towards the end of the summer -- but he didn't give a specific date.

During his announcement, Regis joked, "There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

0118_regis_through_the_years_footer

Laura

Love you,Reg.. loved your show better when Kathy Giff was with you. But still will miss you. Good Luck

john

you said your shows are live with regis&kelly. what is going on you got me to believe your shows were live,now i wonder?

What?!

I hope that Regis has a lot of plans to keep himself busy. Some old people retired and then went home to find nothing to do and then die.

charles tartanian

Regis

Now spend quality time with your family!!

d

please help your son regis good luck to you & your family.

rosemary hirsch

I like Regis, but I have noticed that he is not as sharp as he use to be. There does come a time in a person's life that they need to sit back, retire, and smell the roses. Unfortunately for the viewing public, Regis Philbin's time has come. I will miss his dry wit.

Artie Johnson

Regis
You deserve to retire, yove work very hard all your life. Us old guy have to set back and watch the younger one now. anyway you are the best in what you do.

d

please help your son regis good luck to you & your family.

d gambrell

It's time Regis to go but please take Kelly with you!!!

Betty

Please take Kelly with you as I can't stand her

Lola

Long overdue. Regis and Barbara Walters have too many memory lapses to be on live television. Kelly will probably bring her husband on to co-host. He is cute and has a good sense of humour. Need younger people on the show. Ricky Gervais would be my first choice though. That show would rock.

johanna

Dear Regis, I have been an avid watcher of your show for all the years you're mentioning - I have been on the show quite a few times - I have a picture of me and you way back when. I think you r doing the wright thing by retiring - we will miss you, but, you have two grandchildren in California and who knows what else the rest of your life will bring. I am sure your telephone is buzzing already. I always loved watching u on the tv I'll miss u - don't know if the show will survive without you - my suggestion would be for Kelly and Mark to take over and give that a chance - take care Regis and God Bless you and Joy - Johanna Iracane

Deborah Harris

I love Regis and Kelly. If I don't watch anything else on the show I always watch Host Chat. And I think Anderson Cooper is hilarious with Kelly. Part of the charm of the show is that Regis has trouble remembering and how fast Kelly is with a quip.

PAT

NOW TO GET RID OF KELLY!!!!!!!!

Donna Mercer

I have enjoyed watching you in the mornings. Good Luck and Enjoy!! Hope that you will come back from time to time and be a quest host.