Regis Philbin

Quit Over Pay Cut

1/22/2011 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin quit his show after execs told his agent they would cut his salary when his current contract expired ... sources tell TMZ.

0121_regis_philbin_TMZ_ex
Sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, was talking with execs from the ABC station group about a new contract for Regis when his current deal expired.  We're told the honchos made it clear ... Regis would be getting a pay cut, partly because the show is not performing as well as in the past ... and partly because he takes a lot of time off.

Sources say Reeg is currently pulling in between $18 and $20 million a year.

Regis, we're told, was angry at the offer and that was the trigger for his announcement this week that he's leaving the show.

TMZ first reported ... Regis told Kelly Ripa about his decision 15 minutes before they went on the air.  Initially we were told she was stunned but not angry.  Now we've learned she was furious -- partly because, as one source says, "She felt it showed a total lack of respect for her."

We're told the entire production team is angry at Regis because they feel he hurt the show by blindsiding everyone.

As for Regis' agent, Jim Griffin, Reeg fired him.  We're told Regis feels Griffin did not negotiate the upcoming deal effectively.

Babs

Geeeez is anyone worth that much money for a stupid talk show? I think not and sorry but Regis is at the bottom of the food chain as far as hosts. I mean a virtual no-body zero real talent and all that money. I am discusted

Diana

ONE WORD "GREEDY!"

Carol

Nothing like being greedy; he should be ashamed of himself especially during these difficult times when so many people are struggling. I have lost all respect for him and his greed.

dian

what in the world does he think he is doing this just makes people disgusted more with him than ever before for a man of 80 to take such a small pay cut and quit over it is totally selfish there are hundreds of people out there living in homeless shelters and cardboard boxes that use that money .instead he chooses to not work what a greedy selfish man and to my opion joy is just as bad she has to have the best of everything while others sleep outside in the cold and eat whatever they can to survive how unfair is this what a WHAT A WHIMP YOU ARE REGIS. I KNEW I STOPPED WATCHING THIS SHOW FOR A DAMM GOOD REASON

reality

yes Mike D he is over the hill...and so are you get over it you had your chance. I don't understand all these old bags trying to keep **** going. He was blessed with 80 years on this earth..enough money so that he can live comfortable and he wants more money and wants to still subject us to his acient face daily?? Sorry its over he is old and greedy life did not cheat him he needs to go jump in a casket. I dont understand these old people hanging on...if I was old I would be thankful for my good fortune relax and enjoy seeing the new generation.

D Ukena

Nobody seems to give Kelly the credit she is due. She has had to cover for Regis with I don't know how many guest hosts and has done a darn good job of it. She can carry a show by herself if she has to

LLLLLL

What a disgusting cheapskate he is anyway. People are out of work and he is complaining? True: And you know this Regis, he used to go to a restaurant in the Theater District in NYC, Wally and Joseph's and hardly left a tip, cheap ass. Everyone should lose respect for him.

Jerry F

No Surprise here. About 46 years ago in San Diego he walked off a live newscast. People never change.

disgusted

Regis Philbin is certainly not worth the money he was making on that show. He is such a boring man and his way to be funny is to make cracks about everyone. I will not miss Regis Philbin or his show.

Butterfly

I AM STUNNED! I did not know until now, that he has a disabled son whom he does not acknowledge, publicly. At least that is the impression from the remarks. For me, this puts another face on Regis. So disappointed! I will never understand how a parent can put aside a child of his or her own making. I am trying not to visualize the hurt and the tears his son may have soaked into his pillow during his growing-up years. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this tragic story and calm my unhealthy thoughts.

Skyflyer

I doubt that Regis quit over money. I think he was just ready to retire and enjoy life before it was nursing home time.

Christy

Yet Kathy Lee Gifford claims that Regis "hinted" to her last year that he was thinking about leaving the show when his contract ended and she thought he wanted more time to do other things with his life.

George

Think this f-king is time to be out of TV , He is not happy with the millions of dollars plus his Buss , ,get to Hell piece of **** ,or close this f-king show for ever , we are sick of all this **** anyways , you idiots from ABC.

Jean

Very Greedy!!!!!!!!I always liked Regis but now I am very dissapointed in him. He should just go and relax and enjoy life.Life is short and money is not everything for sure.Jean

Dave

The guy has always been out for himself and obviously fooled the public because he had NO talent just a mouth. Good riddance sb.