Jack LaLanne Dead at 96

1/23/2011 11:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Fitness legend Jack LaLanne died of respiratory failure due to pneumonia Sunday afternoon at his home in California. He was 96.

Jack LaLanne Died
LaLanne hosted a popular workout show for several decades, opened a chain of gyms, and created a popular line of juicers.

His agent said he worked out and exercised every day of his life, even up until the end.

0124_remembering_jack_lalanne_footer

Ben Dover

The last interview i remember him giving was several years ago when a 40 year old journalist asked if he could have another go when Lalanne was 100 and Jack said,"sure, i hope you make it". said he wanted to make 150.We all live the same...until we die., i remember him in tights and slurping carrot juice in the '60...s. RIP.

Sad sad

He did good 96. RIP. Now to go workout.

Hecate

If Lisa Lampanelli dares to say anything nasty, I think we should all kick her to death. Jack was awesome.

GeneL

Sorry to see ya go Jack...
now you can keep Heaven in good shape till I get there.

gutsygirl

My sympathy to Mr. LaLanne's widow. He was such a special man.

midwest gal

What a great guy. Inspiring and a pioneer in the physical fitness industry. He always looked so happy and in great health.

Pam

RIP Jack
i always enjoyed his infomercials, its amazing how he keeped his body in such a good shape for the age he had, truly an inspiration

Linda

I just read about Jack's passing and like everyone, in total disbelief. Thought he would live forever, with all this fitness and healthy lifestyle. Who would have thought he would pass due to respiratory failure, due to pneumonia. I loved watching his juicing commercials with his wife Elaine. Such an inspiration to the world of couch potatoes. Will miss his smile and positive attitude. I wonder if they have gyms in heaven? Jack will probably start one up. My sympathy to his wife Elaine and his family and friends. We've lost a great soal.

Trainwrecks

The reason there's always been a fitness movement is because of Jack LaLanne. he was on early mornings every morning before there was more than just four channels and it was still black and white television.

At least you and Happy can be reunited again.

Everyone should do a set of jumping jacks to honor his memory.

RIP, Mr. LaLanne. Another legend gone.

Rico

I hear he has already put God on a workout schedule and got the angels on a new diet. Keep up the good work, Jack, you will be missed here on earth.

mrs.chanel

SUCH A GREAT MAN. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOU'R LOVED ONE'S...R.I.P

janja

thank god I thought he was going to out live everyone and we would find out he was god all this time.

Rachel Rothechild

I REALLY THOUGHT LIKE gARY nULL HE WOULD MAKE IT 140.

Lori

I actually out loud said AWWWWWWW...when I read about Jack (the father of exercise) LaLane.

I remember playing with my toys while my mom worked out to his T.V. program in the 60's.

Sounds like he lived a long and happy life...free of scandal.

Momma2cat

My Mom and I had the pleasure of meeting Jack at one of his health spas grand openings in September of 1978 in Orange County, California. He was very charming and what a thrill. My Mom and I used to exercise with him as we watched his TV show and listen to his wise advice on nutrition. He was a great motivator and an inspiration to everyone. Jack was definitely the John Wayne of the health industry in it's early stages. It is a great loss of an icon to the fitness and nutrition world and I send my sympathy to Elaine, his beautiful and also inspiring wife.