CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Egypt

2/15/2011 6:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

CBS News reporter Lara Logan was sexually assaulted after being surrounded by a crazed mob in Tahrir Square on Friday ... moments after Hosni Mubarak officially stepped down.

Lara Logan

According to CBS, Logan and her crew were covering a story for "60 Minutes" when they were surrounded by a mob of more than 200 people and she was separated from her security team.

CBS says 39-year-old Logan "suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers."

CBS continues, "[Logan] reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering."

Logan and her team had been detained by Egyptian police 8 days before the sexual assault -- and Logan had reported, "We were accused of being more than journalists, very frightening suggestions were being made. Suggestions that really could be very dangerous for us."

Story developing ...

CBS Reporter Raped

Pearl0808

Aside from all of the political rhetoric and nasty hateful comments, I wish Ms. Logan a speedy recovery. She's a great journalist, and I have followed her work previously, and I hope this incident doesn't get in the way of her future endeavors. For those of you who say she didn't "belong" there, I think that is ignorant and offensive. I'm quite sure a professional such as Ms. Logan knew the risks of being in such a hostile environment.

annie2

Really, TMZ?? Why is this even on your website?? This has absolutely nothing to do with entertainment gossip and has no business being here. Stick to what you do best: snarky gossip. That is what we come here for...or are you in such desperate need for hits that you will put ANYTHING polarizing on here even though you know it's going to bring out trolls extraordinnaire??

Ms Just

Stay your azz outta other ppls countries and do the news from satellites. We have the technology use it!

J. Bux

Yeah. Another great example of the peaceful people of islam.

Arysana

For the first time, I understand why Egypt and most Middle Eastern coutries are ruled by brutal regimes....because they deserve it! At a pinnacle of celebration, when our bodies fill with positive endorphins, these animals are prompted to brutal violence? It is not human...it sounds more like a riot scene in a high security prison.

And anyone who wants to point even the slightest responsibility upon the woman is ignorant...completely ignorant.

I am so saddened and disgusted and I hope that Ms. Logan recovers from this pain.

Dolls

I cant believe the **** im reading. First of all peopple no matter how stupid her being there was or dangerous...no one deserves to be sexually assulted...and i noticed its mostly males on here who place the blame on her. Without journalists reporting on these matters the rest of the world wouldnt know whats happening..i cant believe how many sick *******s are on this site commenting. Maybe ifmen learned how to nehave themselves and didnt act like stupid *******s women wouldnt need to be afraid or fear being raped or hurt.

ben

Why would you put yourself in the middle of that mob of unpredictable mideastern people?? Really a bad decision. . . they think they can get right in the middle of dangerous situations just because they are reporters!!!! Those people didn't care if she was a reporter or not!!! Stupid!!

And I agree, why is this on TMZ, it's not gossip!!! I want celebrity gossip, not news. I try to escape from the raw reality of the outside world by visiting TMZ!!!!

Cal

I think they were just trying to beat her & probably grabbing her clothes to get a hold of her. I dont think they were trying to rape her. Like a man is really going to pull his penis out in a crowd that is attacking a woman & try to have sex with her! Just an angry mob attacking, that would happen in this country as well, matter of fact it happens every time a police presence of over 30 are gathered together!

Greg

Sad what happened to her, but I agree with those that say her dumb azz shouldn't have been there to start with!!!!!!!!!

Ebony

I am sorry I have seen a few people saying she deserved this...are you serious. For those who said that I think the police should investigate you for illegal incidents. If you feel she deserved its not telling what you are doing, to people who you feel "deserve it". I am sorry this happen to her, I feel horrible for anybody who is attacked, and I hope she can overcome this.

Nard

She isn't being specific about her assault and she's saying that she will be recovered in a matter of weeks. That is not something that can occur. Additionally, grazing of the chest area could be considered sexual assault, it does not mean rape, violent abuse and therefore all Egyptians are disgusting pigs. All this is coming from a "home-wrecker" as well. The population size is enormous, she would stick out like a sore thumb, your supposed to keep a low-profile and keep away from the busiest parts. It strikes me that she is still allowed to do her job and be taken seriously, people lose their jobs for less than that all the time.
It's a revolution, was she expecting a welcome party?

Nicole Falgout

She was there doing a job so the rest of us could know what is going on in the world. It was NOT HER FAULT!!! Are you all missing the fact she was SEPARATED from her SECURITY DETAIL!!! People give me a break. You are blaming a woman who was doing her job and got raped. How does that even make sense to anyone! If it was a man who had been raped by other men would you think it was his fault? That is just messed up!

pooks

I swear those people at CBS are really effing stupid... WTf did they honestly think was going to happen putting an attractive young woman like that in a situation like that?? God I swear some people go looking for danger and trouble, and when they find it, they try acting suprise. I'm not saying she deserved it, but surely she/they saw they s*it coming from a mile away... dang idiots.

karim

Lara
thanks for covering our revolution and delivering our message to the world.
you know people who getting you angry were not Egyptian, true Egyptian respect woman and do love foreign.
you were doing a great job, and on behave of all good youth Egyptian I am So sorry.

Amber

Some of these comments are truly disgusting. It's too bad that they couldn't have given her a bodyguard. Nobody deserves to go through that kind of abuse. I hope that they made a rape kit in the hospital and find whoever did this to her through DNA evidence.