Mike Starr Memorial -- Grunge Salute at Space Needle

3/20/2011 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mike Starr's memorial is going down today at Seattle's Space Needle where the family and friends have planned an awesome water fountain tribute show for the former Alice in Chains bassist.

Mike Starr Memorial

Mike's sister, Melinda Starr, tells us everyone is gathering around International Fountain -- next to the Space Needle -- where a water show is usually set to classical music ... but for the memorial it'll be rocking to Alice in Chains tunes.

0318_fountain_getty

Melinda says officials at Seattle Center offered to change the music for the memorial -- and adds Seattle Police are providing security, free of charge.

Starr was found dead earlier this month in Salt Lake City.

Melinda says some of Mike's old Alice in Chains mates will also be at the tribute -- which is open to the public and begins at 4:00 PM.

Cartman

Alice in Chains wasn't grung, it was rock.

Brigham Young

How special...

tumh2o

After 911 everyone made a HUGE shrine of cards,flowers and whatever on the fountain. Thousands of Seattlites filed around this and kept adding their little tokens. It's been a sacred spot ever since..

JLS

Grunge? Somebody messed up here. They were rock that borderlined on heavy metal.

RIP Mike. I wish your life here wouldn't have been so tormented. Another time-another life. Be at peace now.

mondo

Partied with Mike in Seattle in the mid 90's...he acted like a Bad Drunk that night while the rest of the band was really cool...but not judgin'... R.I.P. Bro!!!!

mondo

Sorry Cartman and JLS, not to argue but...They weren't just Grunge...they were the epitomy of Grunge...as in one of the main influences...

SeaThom

Grunge was metal... Just some idiot journalist decided to subcategorize it and give it a title. We just got sick of metal going glam. Most of our metal bands were and are dark. I'll be at the fountain.... I'm not thinkin Cantrell will be there though...

harveyisanattentionwhore

R.I.P THE LEGEND LAYNE STALEY AND R.I.P MIKE STARR.
ITS ****ED UP THAT THE MAIN REASON PEOPLE ON HERE KNOW MIKE IS BECAUSE HE WAS ON THAT SHOW.IF YOU DONT KNOW WHO ALICE IN CHAINS IS, WHICH IS A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO VISIT THIS SITE, I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE PROBABLY INTO KATY PERRY OR KESHA OR LADY GAGA, OR ALL THAT. YOU GUYS SHOULD CHECK OUT ALICE IN CHAINS THEY ARE ROCK BUT THEY HAVE REALLY GOOD MUSIC. SINCE I KNOW ALOT OF GIRLS ARE ON HERE YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THERE SONGS LOVE HATE LOVE, DOWN IN A HOLE, NUTSHELL.THEY WERE PART OF THE WHOLE GRUNGE THING WITH NIRVANA, PEARL JAM ETC.

sexualchocolatebaby

wish I could be there, sounds like it would be a really cool tribute.. Mike may have been lost in drugs but he was so talented and his music will be with us fans forever. He will be very well missed but always in our hearts as we rock out to AIC :p much love to his family and "ex" band mates.

Now he is free of pain and with his brother Layne, rocking again in rock and roll heaven
R.I.P Mikey <3

cknj

Are there any AIC members still alive to attend?

Deborah

R.I.P. MIke Starr. I am sorry your life was cut short by demons that hounded you. You were a good man with a good heart regardless of your situation. May you be at peace in death and with your friend you grieved so much for..

Sonja

He was so hot back in the day!

Jaclyn

It matters not if AIC was 'grunge', 'metal', 'rock', etc. What truly matters here is they were a huge part of music, and now 2 of their original members are gone. Mike was a beautiful person whose demons haunted him to the end. I'm grateful to Melinda and Gayle for setting this up not only for Mike, but for his fans too. I won't make it, but I'll be sending my love to them. And yeah, if you haven't heard AIC, I highly suggest you check their old music out. Great band.

Diane

Mike was a cool guy. So sad ://

laneyssis

RIP Mike, you had such a sadness in your eyes...and for "dube blu"...your an idiot.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments