Elizabeth Taylor

Dead at 79

3/23/2011 12:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Elizabeth Taylor died this morning at the age of 79.

0323-elizabeth-taylor-dates-bn-swipe
Elizabeth Taylor died at 1:28 AM at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles ... where she had been hospitalized for the past couple of weeks.  A private funeral will be held later this week.

Taylor's publicist says she was "surrounded by her children -- Michael Wilding, Christopher Wilding, Liza Todd, and Maria Burton."

Taylor's rep says the actress died "peacefully" from congestive heart failure, "a condition with which she had struggled with for many years." The rep adds, "Though she had recently suffered a number of complications, her condition had stabilized and it was hoped that she would be able to return home.  Sadly, this was not to be."

Elizabeth Taylor Dies
Someone at the hospital Tuesday night tells TMZ ... doctors knew at around 6 PM that Taylor was dying.

Taylor was considered one of the greatest actresses of all-time -- starring in classics like "Cleopatra" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." She won an Academy Award for best actress twice for her roles in "BUtterfield 8" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?".

Elizabeth Taylor Dead
Taylor, who was married 8 times -- twice to Richard Burton -- is survived by 4 children, 10 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren.

Taylor's son, Michael, says, "My mother was an extraordinary woman who lived life to the fullest, with great passion, humor, and love."  Michael goes on to tout his mom's "brave and relentless advocacy in the fight against HIV/AIDS ... We know, quite simply, that the world is a better place for Mom having lived in it."

Elizabeth Taylor Dead

Elton John says, "We have just lost a Hollywood giant; more importantly, we have lost an incredible human being."

Dr. Arnold Klein, Taylor's longtime friend and doctor, tells TMZ, "She's the greatest human being I've ever known.  She used her celebrity not just for fame but to change the world.  Elizabeth gave AIDS a face and that's when people started accepting it as a disease."

We've learned Taylor has a plot next to her parents at the Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in L.A.  Among those who are buried or interred there -- Marilyn Monroe, Natalie Wood, Truman Capote, Farrah Fawcett, Dean Martin and Walter Matthau.

The family asks in lieu of flowers that contributions be made to the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation -- elizabethtayloraidsfoundation.org.

People wanting to send personal messages can log onto http://www.facebook.com/ElizabethTaylorTribute.

Previous 15 Comments | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

SAL duRAV

My Dearest Dame Elizabeth, I've been one of your biggest fans for the 50+years & will continue being to the end. I'll miss you terribly. My luv to you always.
SAL

JGG

The last great Hollywood Star and probably most beautiful woman ever (according to my grandfather). Go in peace.

Sleeping With The Enemy

I recently lost my father the very same way. What people fail to understand or were not really exposed too was what Elizabeth would have had to endure for the past few years. This type of coronary heart disease does such horrible things to not only the body, but to the minds of those who suffer with it as well. Pulminary adema causes water retention in the extremities and vital organs. When they stop functioning properly, so does the mind. Some days that light in thier eyes comes on and they greet you lovingly sharing past memories. Other days they do not know you and see you as another, perhaps worse when you are also scene one who poses threat or hram to them. They become agitated and at times violent, and it comes out of the blue. Imgaine walking three or four steps and even with oxygen, needing to pause and rest for ten minutes before taking three or four steps more. It is a cruel and heartless disease, one which robs all the joy from life, including those past childhood or family memories that once offered you such peace. It also often causes type 2 diabetes, bringing along with it more pain and suffering, including the loss of limbs especially when bed ridden. I ask all to remember ELizabeth Taylor for all the good she did this world. I ask that you give thanks to that higher power for her unrelenting work for Aids patients and research. Most of all I ask you while you are still young and healthy, to cherish those sweet and fond memories that make you smile or perhaps even weep, for what is here today including young age, is often gone tomorrow. What a party they will be having this evening when Dame ELizabeth Taylor arrives in all her fabulous glory. She was truly one of a kind and will be sadly and forever missed. To the family, her suffering unimaginable, has at long last ended and she is in a better place. I imagine with all the life long friends who went before her, they will be forced to sell tickets to some massive auditorium so she can fit them all in and say " My Darling's.. I'm Home!!. " Sleep Well Elizabeth..

Quentin L Ankum

I will Missed Ms.Eilzabeth Taylor Died Early Wednes Morning Was 79. The Bigger Ankum Family Crazy and Friends Iwill Rip of Sis. Lizzie Taylor.

Andriana

I thank you, Elizabeth Taylor for being on earth. I shall never forget enjoying watching your movies. And thanks once again for standing up for AIDs and supporting many good causes. Bless you, Elizabeth. Enjoy your RIP.

Andriana

Shirley Nelson

RIP Elizabeth...I haved loved her for generations...she was a TRUE Icon....she will be sadly missed.

Previous 15 Comments | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19