Rip it Up... Move It Down

4/9/2011 4:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The mid-fifties musician posed for a picture while playing a gig at the Winchester Music Hall in Cleveland, OH.

0404_wang_chung_memba_launch
The band originally spelt their name "Huang Chung."

Wang Chung once appeared on the TV show "Hit Me, Baby, One More Time" and performed Nelly's "It's Getting Hot in Herre."

agree

The 80' were my partying years, and I loved this band. I aged right along with them, I think they look great.

Mic

They played at my high school in 1987. West Springfield High School in Virginia. Our school won a contest to get them to play at a local school and we won. My first concert. Was a great time. I have a pic somewhere around here.

Emma J

I lived in a dinky small town while growing up in the 80's. I remember I had to order my "Points on the Curve" cassette from the local Radio Shack. I was soooo excited when I got the call that it had arrived. As usual, this is a band that was much better than the American charts would indicate.

Truth

WHAT WAS THE REASON FOR THEIR ASIAN BAND NAME? WERE ONE OF THEIR PARENTS ASIAN OR SOMETHING??

If sense were common...

The guy on the right still looks snotty. ;)

Deb Cole

what is the word spelt??? NEED SOME SPELLING REVIEW

BehindTheScenes

Ummm, commenter number 6, get a dictionary before commenting on spelling. Seriously.

waffles

I was at that Cleveland gig last June. They sounded fantastic.

Carl

Maybe I'll Wang Chung tonight!

Cheex

#6 had it right. The past tense of spell is spelled, not spelt.
Which now has a little red squiggly line underneath it. I wonder why.

BehindTheScenes

Look it up in the dictionary. Granted, it's mostly used by the British and not in America, it is still very much correct as a past tense for spell.

DPK

Fighting over how to spell in this thread is retarted!

AH

Spelt is an ancient grain that traces its heritage back long before many wheat hybrids.

LOL

mneelands

When I heard of Wang Chung, on stage they stated in the UK that they named the band from which their guitar sounded like when they strummed it. Waaaannnnggg Chhhhuuunnnnggg. End of story. Ppl try to make more of it than it sounds. They were more of a musical band than a pop band, ie "To Live and Die In L.A." soundtrack. Producers wanted more and told singing would be needed to evolve the band, thus, Wang Chung. Just another one hit wonder group. Seen them in LA in 1987/88 and every band member stated the same. Could be corperate wanted them to say it but after so many years later to change the story of "NO" words, just to stir it up for a book or tour deal. Next story.

KleeverBeever

I can tolerate gays that act straight, but these two-YUCK. Men should not try to make themselves effeminate. After all, it's females they don't like-why try to emulate them????

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments