« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Gay Rights Group SLAMS Kobe -- 'What A Disgrace'

4/13/2011 11:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant's homophobic outburst "perpetuates a culture of discrimination and hate" ... so says a gay rights group which has deemed last night's incident as "horribly offensive."

0413_kobe_bryant_hrc_ex_2

TMZ spoke with the Human Rights Campaign -- who told us, "What a disgrace for Kobe Bryant to use such horribly offensive and distasteful language, especially when millions of people are watching."

The group adds, "Hopefully Mr. Bryant will recognize that as a person with such fame and influence, the use of such language not only offends millions of LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender] people around the world, but also perpetuates a culture of discrimination and hate that all of us, most notably Mr. Bryant, should be working to eradicate."

As we previously reported, Kobe appeared to have mouthed the words "f**king f**got" towards an NBA ref last night after he was hit with a technical foul.

0413_kobe_bryant_footer_V2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

c

So stupid. Unless he was calling a gay person ***got as an insult, shut the eff up GLAD. Words can have different meanings. Do you really think when guys are rapping about bi tches they are talking about female dogs? No. So save it for when there's really something to be upset about GLAD. Otherwise you just piss me off and lose any sympathy.

Rabbitt

It's a disgrace that a "Human Rights Campaign" is wasting time on name calling when there are real human rights violations going on. People unjustly prisoned around the world, dictators murdering their own people, genocide, and on and on. Real tragedy. Real problems. But no...let's pretend like it's a human RIGHT not to be offended (guess what it's not) and get our panties in a wad over that cuz tackling ACTUAL problems is too hard. And less likely to make us an assload of money.

PK

who cares he called him an effin cigarette!!! at least in the dictionary ***ot means cigarette!! what if a gay black man call someone a ***ot N***er? now who's getting mad. is it ok cuz he is both gay and black or do both parties get upset and vote him off our planet? people just need to be not so damn sensitive. comedians tell jokes all the time and it's ok. example: george lopez, carlos mencia, lisa lampanelli and many others. but it's ok cuz "they are just joking".

Gsharon 710

Is it ok for homosexuals to hug, kiss, touch, coo, feed each other in a public family eatery? Is this ok for children whose parents have not yet thought it the correct time to explain? Should you shove you beliefs to everyone living?

I personally have no problem with the gay people, as they are people. And guess what, PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Kobe should be fined because he was not acting as a private citizen at the time of his words, but on National TV. The fine should ONLY be the doings of the team and not the cry babies. That was not the place to make such comments. He should apologize to the person that the words were for, pay a fine, and watch his mouth in the future.

The cry babies can now go back to their lives and stop making our country a freak show. If the angry gays tell the truth, they would have to say they have used not so nice words before. That is why we teach, tolerate and forgive. Your bitching is doing nothing except making more people click into this site and hurl more names at gays than they can count. So what if he pays a fine, what will that do for the gay community? Not one damn thing because it is not because you are being agreed with, but because Kobe lost his sanity for a minute in a public place. So don't plan a dance and think you have made a point about your sexuality, because, his rant has nothing to do with you personally.

Now if you want our support, tolerance, and love, stop this crap here and now. There are more important, real hate crimes going on that needs our attention, not to mention parents needing the words and ways to explain why two men were hugging and kissing in PUBLIC.

Clean your own back yard first. This is not to all gay people, for I think what you do is your personal business and should stay that way. Sexuality does define a person, and a few ugly words do not define a person who utters them without thought. I promise you if you keep this mess going, the tolerance for the gay lifestyle will not increase.

The life style you live, can be changed by yourself. A real true crime is when someone hurls fists, words, and slurs toward someone who has no choice in their lives. I have read where gays said an apology was fine with them, so I hope everyone else can see it that way.

Chris Miller

If these over sensitive losers from “GLAAD” wouldn’t make such a big deal out of such a little thing the kids wouldn’t be exposed to the derogatory word he used. Now that “GLAAD” freaked out and released a statement to the press, every news channel, and website in the country more kids than ever will be exposed to these anti-gay terms. WAY TO HURT YOUR OWN CAUSE GLAAD!! The reason gays are discriminated is because they are over sensitive and always looking for a reason to protest or have some stupid march. NO BODY GIVES A **** THAT YOU ARE GAY OTHER THAN YOU!!!!!!!!!! What about fat people? They are the most discriminated people on earth. If Kobe Bryant called the ref a “fat ass”, would there be some loser sending a press release to all the news outlets…..NO!!!!!!! I hate gay people because of stupid **** like this, not because they are gay.

Gwendolyn

Get over it! He apologized he meant it so why still attacking him. I'm beginning to understand why perez hilton isn't bff's with Glad. get over the hate and move on when someone talks to you and apologizes.gay or straight thats what is right unless its about something else hmmm? sometimes I think these self rightous gay organizations have more anger and hate than we'd like to think. I'm straight I'm proud! If I say **** off and then feel sorry about it are you going to keep on and on about it in the press? probibly not because I'm a broke person not a millionaire. I'm not impressed by the way the gays are handling this.not that my opinion matters at all. I'm sure if I said that word which I never would I'd hear nothing but crickets because I have no money. hmmm

Gwendolyn

Come get me Gladd. I've loved straight gay transgender in between you dont have a name for it yet dont judge me or put me in a box. you shouldn't be so harsh in judging the straights-I count myself as straight figure it out or dont I dont care what you think. I'm tempted to say something rude.

hoosier

Dear Glaad
Seeing a clip of a bunch of grow ass men walking around naked and hanging on one another is VERY offensive! (referring to gay marches)

msblackdeeva34

It is so funny how TMZ and other so called reporters can make a big issue out of this just to have something to talk about, including the commissioner of the NBA. sAYING THIS IS IF THE CAMERA'S WASN'T POINTING DIRECTLY IN KOBE'S FACE NOONE WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOWN WHAT HE HAD SAID...KUDOS TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST LIP READER HAHA!! LBGT OR HUMAN RIGHTS AS THEY ARE CALLED WOULDNT BE SO DEFENSIVE ABOUT IT IF THEY STILL WAS SO INSECURE WITH THEMSELVES. I MEAN PEOPLE SAY THAT AND WAY LOT WORSE STUFF THAN THAT WHEN THEY ARE ANGRY BUT COME ON CAUSE IT COME OUT OF KOBE'S MOUTH THEY WANNA MAKE IT AN ISSUE!! ONLY TO THOSE WHO ARE STILL INSECURE ABOUT THERE SEXUAL ORIENTATION!!

Tom

What *******.

Elranss

Please..GLADD>>GET A GRIP >>WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY R>>>DUD"s PISSED SO HE MOUTHED SOMETHING TO HIMSELF>>>>DAMM POLICE WANNABEES

Matteo

So what? If someone says"Mother F...r, is he really f..g your mother?!!

Barry Wilson

Gay people listen!You have the same rights as those of us who are not gay.Free speech is exactly that-why should we modify our constitution for queers?

Yvonne Young

It's not Kobe Bryant that these people (Gay Rights Activist Group) have to worry about, it's GOD, whom they will have to face on judgement day. Yes, God gives us free will, but the bible clearly states that Homosexuals and Lesbians acts are SINFUL ACTS. These people have the audacity to claim that Kobe Bryant's words and actions have horribly offended them.. Yet they give no thought to the fact that their actions have HORRIBLY OFFENDED GOD! What they (Gays and Lesbians) do is wrong and regardless of how they try to "dress it up".. GOD IS NOT PLEASED AND HE WILL JUDGE ACCORDINGLY! Kobe Bryant is no judge.. GOD IS and it is HE that you will answer to!!

blacboi

These gays are going to far with this human rights craps!We as true reproducing Americans have to put up with your spoiled ass version of genocide and you still want to complain. WTF!!!! That comment wasn't even directed towards your sick cult. If that offended you all, then you might want to do some gender searching and correct your wrong. Just think about it, the only reason why you do things you do is to defy the laws of nature. Then you want to raise a child....OH I GOT AN IDEAL WHY NOT HAVE ONE OF YOUR OWN? OPPS!!! MY BAD