Empire Carpet Commercial Guy -- Dead at 89

4/27/2011 3:21 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Empire Carpet spokesman Elmer Lynn Hauldren -- the most famous carpet spokesperson of all time -- has died at age 89.

Elmer Lynn Hauldren Dead

You may remember Elmer from decades Empire commercials ... you know, the ones that feature that super-catchy jingle ... 800-588-2300 ... EMPIRE (today!).

Elmer -- a decorated WW2 vet -- became the company spokesperson back in the '70s ... and appeared in a ton of ads.

In recent years, the company switched to an animated version of Elmer -- but the spots still feature Elmer's voice.

R.I.P.

croc

what a shame.. he got to be 89 tho..!

mike

first.....i hated that commerical

Al Brown

Lynn was also a very well-known parody lyric writer and performed with a hilarious barbershop quartet called Chordiac Arrest. (Look for videos on the internet.) He will be missed by the members of the Barbershop Harmony Society.

Skippy

THIRD! Or fourth... Who the f#ck cares! Do I win something?

oh holland

He came from a time when real men who served in real wars were named Elmer Lynn, and not in a hip-ironic way. Seems like a genuine good man who led a positive, productive life.

Bless your soul, Elmer.

Henry

@Mike: Hate is way too strong of an emotion to waste on a television commercial! Lynn was such a nice guy and I'm glad I had the chance to meet him. You will be missed! RIP

Chuck D of Valpo

I did not know that he was known nationwide. I thought he was just known in the Chicago area. RIP

niles

Sorry he's dead, but that company is a rip-off.

Julie

That's probably the only commercial I remember from when I was very young. That jingle is permanently in my brain, and I sing along with it when it comes on. Sad day for his family, I'm sure.

AS

He was an awesome reminder to those of us who remember the good old days of TV...rest in peace...

Kevin

He will be missed. I grew up singing that catchy tune, and nothing against Empire Carpets, but i enjoyed him and the song better than any carpets that were displayed in the spots

Darla

We all gotta go sometime,

Party Doll

FYI...Haulder was known by his middle name of "Lynn," and was never called Elmer. He was more than a company spokesman. He worked for the ad agency that produced the Empire spots. Because of his distinct voice, he did one of the earliest voice overs. The owners of Empire loved it so much, they asked him to become their commercial pitchman. After writing the commercials for years for the ad agency, Lynn later went to work for Empire itself.

stu

my plumber died today.
roll him up in a rug & be done w/ it.

Abe

Was Elmer a homophobe?

Seems to be the only way to get the lead story on TMZ these days.

x