Fake Canadian -- Worst Travel Tip Ever?

5/6/2011 1:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

One frosty-tipped TMZ staffer confesses he pretends to be Canadian when traveling abroad ... and all HELL breaks loose. Brace yourself for OUTRAGE and debate in the newsroom! 050511_TV_louis_still

Check out TMZ on TV -- click here to see your local listings!

SarcasticJedi

First off, I think everyone should stop painting everyone else with the sterotype each countries peoples are percieved as, it's petty and disrepectful.

I have had no troubles in the Bahamas or in Europe, Italy to be specific. if I was asked if I was American I said yes, I saw no reason to lie, and I didn't get treated horribly or was inflicted with bad service.But then again, I treat others like how I would like to be treated, which is sadly lacking from most of the upper-class white Americans (who live in their nice sealed off white communities and make fun of everyone) that inflict themselves upon the world, or the real redneck hicks, who truly don't know any better.

I don't dislike peoples, I dislike the PERSON.

And really the people who are bashing the Canadians, and the Canadians that are bashing the Americans, it's people like you that others remember when thinking, and bad things are often more remembered then politeness or kindness. So I suggest both sides think long and hard about what they truly dislike about the other, before flying off the handle in an emotional outburst.

randomnone

OMG is the blonde kid the only person with a brain there? Or is he the only person who has travelled outside the US? Amazed at Harvey's reaction lol....thought he had travelled beyond that desk. That dude who is BOASTING about serving his country is the kind of ugly American we talk about. Defending your country = killing innocent people. When you travel one day remember not to gloat about that because you have killed and maimed too may innocent people...remember weapons of mass destruction fables people? Anyway back to the issue.....yeah we are not impressed by Americans. They do not respect anyone. They do not even respect their leader. Why should we respect you? Canadians on the other hand are pacific people - not docile, just pacific. The world respects those that try to respect them back.

TXCinderella

If you are ashamed to admit that you are an American, then don't be one and get the hell out of the U.S. and see how much freedom you have. Coward.

Bubbles The Chimp

I can confirm that America is considered an 'arrogant' country around the world. It is not that all Americans are hated (That is false assumption). It is the type with the arrogant attitude; the ones that think everyone should speak English when they are the ones in a foreign country, think America law is valid in a foreign country, the type that have no respect in the foreign country they are visiting.
If you come off as being a kind person, more than likely you will be treated as such. Come off being an absolute arrogant assh*ole , you will be treated the same.

Russia is a different story. They are lunatics and hate everyone. Germans hate Americans because of getting their asses beat more than once in war...the list goes on...

Donovan

I understand Dax's point and if it was a security issue, I'd do what he was doing too. The problem is that if all of our sane/rational people claim to be Canadian when traveling, all that's left out there to represent us is the stereotypical ones and that's not what we need.
I wouldn't go to a location in the first place that was a security threat to me for being an American...so it wouldn't come up with me. Lying in Australia is pretty sissy.

Bobbi

As a Canadian, I gotta say, even we don't like too many Americans. Sorry, but some of the really obnoxious Americans make it bad for all of you.

Kathy

I guess if you are ashamed to be an American and would be afraid to stand up for the right to be an American, then you should lie. Its up to you. USA! USA! USA!

Jules Destaing

I thought 'Harvey' was smarter. And if he doesn't know it, yes; Americans are not 'well received' outside of the USA.

Why do you think American kids stitch Canadian flags to their jackets, and backpacks ?

Canada may be the 'annoying little brother' of the US - but they/we are not as arrogant as the Americans.

Bubbles The Chimp

It is the way you act that people will treat you the same. I can see why Dax claims to not be American. His whole attitude is the type of American people do not like in other countries. He comes off as being arrogant with his condescending words and eye rolls and dramatic everything. I can see him being treated not well when he visits other countries.

spearit

I was in the Canadian Armed Forces from 1983-1998 and I remember so many of the American Forces personnel coming over to Canex(Canadian military store)just to pick up Canadian patches to put on their duffel bags to prevent being treated badly. There are some places in the world that won't let American military personnel eat or stay at their hotels.

Sonia

I'm a very proud Canadian; I could not believe it last summer when we travelled from Canada to Italy. On the way their full Airbus 340 and only 17 Canadians on board; the rest were all Americans flying into Canada to fly to Italy for 'safety' reasons. On the way back; same deal, 23 Canadians on board into Toronto, balance Americans again flying into Canada to then fly home to US. Met some great people in Rome, travelling on a tour and they all told me they were telling people they were Canadians for fear of terrorists / backlash. This is the unfortunate reality that we live in today. Let's pray that this weeks events don't manifest into more terror and horror for the Americans and the countries who support the war effort.

Josephina

SO TRUE. As someone who has lived in many different countries, I can honestly say that Americans are perceived as the most spoiled, rich, wasteful people in the world. They think we sue everyone and drive gas guzzlers - and for the most part, they're right.

Allison

Being Canadian and living on the border I have to say that the American border guards harass us every time we go over. I don't just mean me personally a lot of people I know. I was going stateside to see a concert I brought my 16 year old niece to her first concert. They held us for a hour and we missed the first act of the concert. Then the next time we were going for dinner and I inquired to the border lady when I get off the bridge which way do I turn left or right to get to Mexican Town. She said why don't you all go back to Canada and ask your Canadian friends.
SO really with that kind of a attitude its understandable why some people have issues with Americans. I don't hold it against the whole country lol I can't all the rest of my family lives there.

melly

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am Canadian and have to live with the bitching and moaning about our libral ways from the States. We get mocked for saying "eh" all the time. Guess this proves a point. Maybe you shouldn't mock us and poke fun at our accents cause it's apperent that no one else in the world has a problem with these things but you guys. If you want respect than gain it on your own. Don't wear our flag and reap the benefits of our way of life. You made your bed. Now lie in it :P O'CANADA!!!!

Miles

Over the past 25 years I've logged more international travel miles than I'd like to admit but I've NEVER encountered any hostility for being (U.S.) American. Actually the contrary is true, once people discover that I'm from Texas (Austin) they're often fascinated and ask a lot of questions...sometimes stupid questions such as if we still ride horses in town.

My most recent (29 day business) trip in January had me going to Tokyo; Dalian, China; Cyberjaya, Malaysia; Dubai, UAE; and Bracknell, England. I had nothing but wonderful welcoming by everyone I met.