Stephen Hawking Declares

'There Is No Heaven'

5/16/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Renowned scientist Stephen Hawking doesn't want to rain on your parade or anything -- but he'd like you to know there is no such thing as heaven when you die. Debbie Downer!

0516_steven_hawking_heaven_TMZ_composite_2
In an interview with the Guardian, Hawking explained, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

If there is no heaven ... how does he explain bacon, Bar Refaeli, and the iPad?

Mocking Bird

I'm saddened to see how many people on here take what they've been told and insist that it's true despite evidence to the contrary.
Think, research, learn, and the smarter you become the less you will think there's a magical sky-daddy. And you will be happier for it!
Stop eating everything you're being fed. Grow your mind and you will become more complete and happy with the scientific answers for our world than the hypocritical, discriminatory, oppressive, and ignorant views written in bibles.
Bibles breed hate and war. Science asks questions and encourages answers to be in awe of every day on earth.
No, Mr. Hawking hasn't died to tell you this; he is expressing his opinion based on his knowledge and research.
If all you research is the bible, it's all you'll believe, but that doesn't make you right, either.
Your life is fantastic. Use it wisely, don't close your eyes and agree to whatever you've been told because some old man wrote it in a book for a society that no longer exists today.
Be a better person than that!
Treat your fellow citizens as you wish to be treated.
Calling him names and saying he's bitter because he's in a wheelchair or ugly and stupid? If your god is okay with that I'm more than happy to disassociate myself with the sickness of religion.
Get better soon, all.

debneter

Is anyone really suprised that THIS guy doesnt believe in God? I mean, if you were in his place, would you?

dolphin

The ability to clone a living creature is very telling. Don't ya think?

dusty

Again, I think it's pathetic that religious zealots put down non-believers as ignorant and stupid yet claim their own beliefs are infallible because they feel it in their hearts.

What's worse are those people hear that claim you might as well believe in God to be on the safe side, since if he doesn't exist, then that's that, but if he does, it's a good thing you did believe and aren't being sent to Hell. Essentially, what this means is some people are upholding an ideal, not out of passion, but fear of the unknown. This is the hallmark of religion through out history - to control the minds of the ignorant thru fear.

MommyWhatsADoucheBag?

Calling all bible thumpers.... he is right... there is no heaven and no hell... Religion was created by man, for man, in order to instill some sense of morality and rule. Well F that! When you die, your just worm food!

piratesrule8

For people who say he is going to hell because he says he doesn't believe in heaven....

1. If he doesn't believe, it's not his fault. It was what he has learned from his life and how he was "made". Not his fault.

2. If a god sends people to "hell" who don't believe in him when they have no reason to believe in him, then such a god is clearly an arrogant, cruel being unworthy of a persons love and respect... If god is so unkind to eternally punish someone for not believing then screw that god....

The concept of heaven, hell and belief in god will make no sense to me till god gives me a reason to believe in him. Until god makes me believe in him I have no more reason to believe he is the truth than I have to believe in Harry Potter or a random science fiction film. I wont lie that I believe in case god exists.... If he did exist and I did pretend to believe then god would know I was pretending anyway.

Even if god did create the universe I wouldn't see any reason to sing his praises because he's done a piss poor job of it.... People starve, people get murdered, people suffer every day and if god created everything then it's his failure that causes it. People will make things better on this planet, not some magic guy who NOBODY has any evidence to believe even exists.

Moi

I said I do know there is an afterlife, based on my experience (and others my sister has had). I can't say what exactly happened to my dad when he passed. I think there is free will. I can't say why my Dad got ALS. I don't think he was a terrible person that needed to burn in hell, nor that he deserved ALS.

Lisa

I feel so sorry for Hawking. I really do. He will one die and find out that he was wrong and then it will be to late. Best to believe and be right then not to believe and be wrong.

Stephanie

Well, if there is a god (which I truly doubt) then he/she/it seems to be an entity with a few serious issues and someone/thing I would not like very much.

JF

I can't believe so many people still believe in God lol There is a bigger chance that the tooth fairy exist lol

dusty

Moi,
In your original post you claimed to know there definitely is a heaven. All of a sudden now, you're sounding a lot more logical and purposeful. I don't know if there is a God, but I believe in free will and the idea that good deeds should be done out of compassion, not out of fear of going to Hell. If there is a God, he woulf respect this and the ability to think for myself. I'm sorry about your Dad, by the way.

Get a Clue!

Stephen, if you are so smart, why haven't you figured out a way to get out of that chair?

Jodi

How does he know there is no Heaven? He's only explaining to us what HE BELIEVES, which is his right, but I don't agree with him. I'm going to believe in Heaven and my higher power(God) until it's proven to me I'm wrong.

piratesrule8

"Best to believe and be right then not to believe and be wrong"

You can't believe what you don't believe..... FACT. You can only pretend to believe what you don't believe and the only reason to do so would be to influence those around you. That is dishonest.... Surely that dishonesty is worse than not believing in the 1st place.

Some say the believe in god based on an experience they've had. OK fine. What about those who have had no such experiences to make them believe ? Is it fair that they get eternally punished for their bad luck in not having such an experience? If there is a god he will forgive such people because it's not their fault.

Religion. So Illogical.

dusty

piratesrule8,
Exactly. Saying "Best to believe and be right then not to believe and be wrong" means you don't love God, it just means you're fearful of the unknown and need answers to put you at ease. This is the hallmark of religion throughout history - where religion was used to control the minds of the feeble through fear. Ah, the Catholic Church can do no wrong.