Stephen Hawking Declares

'There Is No Heaven'

5/16/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Renowned scientist Stephen Hawking doesn't want to rain on your parade or anything -- but he'd like you to know there is no such thing as heaven when you die. Debbie Downer!

0516_steven_hawking_heaven_TMZ_composite_2
In an interview with the Guardian, Hawking explained, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

If there is no heaven ... how does he explain bacon, Bar Refaeli, and the iPad?

Mindy

Stephen Hawking may not believe in Heaven, but he knows better than anyone what Hell is like. I guess none of us will know until we get there.

Ellidegg

DUH THERE'S NO HEAVEN! NO HELL OR GODS EITHER. people stop thinking like medieval followers and go read a f*****g science article for once in your miserable ignorant lives.

V

I almost died at 5, and had a conversation with God (he is real). My daughter fell halfway out of a two- story window at 3 years old she told us "The good stranger pushed me off of the wall, and the mean stranger was mad", there was no one outside at the time. I think this guy is so upset over his physical condition that he doubts God exists out of anger, not factual truth. He is bitter..

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Yes there is an afterlife. Maybe it's not the afterlife most people think of, you know, harps and clouds n stuff, but all things that die--continue to exist and create more life. (assuming you don't get yourself buried in a near impervious, vault of a casket)

We are not computers anymore than trees are computers.

Ace

Religion was invented to give people hope. That is why there are so many different religions around the world.
Notice how all religions are basically the same: be good go to heaven, bad hell.
I could go on.......

Sloane

interesting..

he is a genius

but to say that he knows and understands everything is a leap that I can not make

metropony

Wow. Loving the Christians on here who say he is in a wheelchair because he doesn't believe what they do. Typical. I don't live my life based on a book written by man, disputed by the most fundamentally common sense science and with no basis for anyone to pay attention to it other than tradition and "belief." Still have a pretty well-rounded and happy existence. To each their own. You folks should start practicing what you preach. :-)

Canadasux

TMZ, why did you post this fool's c r a p?

SpitBall

Not surprising coming from someone who's life was focused on the mysteries of the physical universe. While I respect and admire this guy, I have only one comment: We are not dealing with he physical universe when we think about our existence as spiritual beings, we are talking about a spiritual universe.

Mr. Hawking is a strong spirit indeed. He gets past barriers that would push most out the 10 story window.

When his "computer" does shut down, I don;t think he shuts down with it. They'll put his body in a box and do what they will do to us all. Spiritually, however, I think the light lives on.

Cliff

Mr. Hawkins has a brilliant mind but as the case with most things in life, there is a cost to pay for uniqueness. I believe that he states the non-existence of a supreme being as a way to explain away his own shortcomings. If he were to acknowledge GODS existence then his very next question would have to be "Why did he do this to me?" he of course would not have a sufficient answer so he does what most scientist do. If there is no tangible answer the he explains it away to nothingness. I pray Mr. Hawkins finds GOD before he passes away. I would hate to confront him and have nothing to show for My life but the denoucement of his existence.

Baron

Why shouldn't he answer that way?
It is consistent with his nonbelief and that would be the fate for anyone who denies The Creator.

mommy

I hope he's not afraid of the dark.. because it's not only dark where he is going, it's gonna be hot.

TC

All computers have a creator, IBM, Dell, HP & GOD

Izack

Enjoy Burning in Hell...

Mikey

Thats it, I'm not using this bonehead for my life line on who wants to be a millionaire.