Stephen Hawking Declares

'There Is No Heaven'

5/16/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Renowned scientist Stephen Hawking doesn't want to rain on your parade or anything -- but he'd like you to know there is no such thing as heaven when you die. Debbie Downer!

0516_steven_hawking_heaven_TMZ_composite_2
In an interview with the Guardian, Hawking explained, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

If there is no heaven ... how does he explain bacon, Bar Refaeli, and the iPad?

awesome

There is a god and he is a flaming douchebag. Jesus was a homosexual who was betrayed by judas because he gave him AIDS.Do you think i can still go to heaven?

Lo From Wisco

When I die, I'm going in the dirt, and that's it. Bravah, Hawking. Giving the few of us with no religious beliefs a voice.

dusty

MightyMad,
Funny how you allude to that "I'm alone" and a "loser" when you don't even know me. Typical, like a religious zealot who makes deductions about God with the same lack of insight and knowledge of what he's talking about. Go eat some KFC and grape soda.

leigh

How sad. If I'm wrong and there is no heaven, well then I was wrong. If he's wrong and there is a heaven, he'll will meet his maker and the maker will send him south.

Someone who actually knows what they're talking about

travcm:
Faith can be bliss, since it only differs slightly from ignorance.

*************************

Faith = Ignorance?

The same argument can be made for those who believe in nothing.

Glenda

Guess we all know where he's going then. Say hello to Satan when you get there.

Kàt

lol the timing is perfect. It's a play right out Satan's play book.
Praise the Lord!

Kàt

Who cares about brains and computers......it's the soul one needs to worry about!

Moi

My dad died at 39 after suffering with ALS for four years. He was a good person, a good father, extremely smart and athletic. He went from being athletic and active and starting his own computer business to being stuck in a hospital bed only able to blink his eyes and make an "Uhhhh" noise. He believed in God to the end. I do know there is an afterlife. I believe there are different spiritual planes. The night my dad died there were six family members including me sitting in the living room. It suddenly got really cold and we could see our breath. My grandfather checked the thermostat and the temp had dropped 30 degrees. Then a cabinet in the kitchen whipped open violently and a hard plastic dish my dad ate from (that had sat in there for 3 wks as he had been in the hospital) flew out straight as an arrow about a foot from the ceiling, across the kitchen. It landed flat on the floor without wobbling, like someone had placed it there.
My mom had asked my dad to send her a sign from "the other side" and he told her he wasn't sure what God would allow him to do but he would do something. My dad hated that dish because he had to eat pureed food from it (my mom fed him) and he had a good sense of humor.
My sister also claimed to see him by our dining room table that night.
Please don't make fun of this terrible disease.

Moi

My dad died at 39 after suffering with ALS for four years. He was a good person, a good father, extremely smart and athletic. He went from being athletic and active and starting his own computer business to being stuck in a hospital bed only able to blink his eyes and make a an "Uhhhh" noise. He believed in God to the end. I do know there is an afterlife. I believe there are different spiritual planes. The night my dad died there were six family members including me sitting in the living room. It suddenly got really cold and we could see our breath. My grandfather checked the thermostat and the temp had dropped 30 degrees. Then a cabinet in the kitchen whipped open violently and a hard plastic dish my dad ate from (that had sat in there for 3 wks as he had been in the hospital) flew out straight as an arrow about a foot from the ceiling, across the kitchen. It landed flat on the floor without wobbling, like someone had placed it there.
My sister also claimed to see him by our dining room table that night.
Please don't make fun of this terrible disease.

Pistol

You can transfer your files to another computer.

dusty

Moi,
If you are so confident that there is a God, then you must also acknowledge that God gave your father ALS and that there is a possibility that he is burning in Hell. It's funny how there are those that mock atheist for their affinity to scientific evidence and common sense, yet claim their own beliefs are infallible because of some ghost story.

Havemercy

So apparently he has died and come back to tell all. Really it just shows how little he does know and understand. Interesting how 'man' thinks so highly of himself.

Moi

Sorry, disregard the repeat post! I didn't activate twice so don't know what happened...

Canon

There is no definitive empirical evidence of a physical after life. There is no definitive empirical evidence we have found yet of the beginning or end of the universe, what's bigger than infinity, or what the smallest element is ie. much smaller than an atom. Until then I'm hedging all bets.