Cheryl Cole's Accent

Too Thick for 'X-Factor'

5/25/2011 4:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cheryl Cole was dropped from the judging panel on "X-Factor" largely because producers were  concerned her English accent would be too difficult for an American audience to understand ... sources close to the production tell TMZ. .

0525-cheryl-cole-getty-ex
There were other issues too -- we're told Cheryl and fellow judge Paula Abdul had a "lack of chemistry" ... and Cheryl was more expendable.

Producers now want Cheryl to return to the UK version of the show -- but according to sources, Cheryl's royally pissed over how this situation was handled ... and may sever ties with "X-Factor" entirely.

Steve Jones will now be the only host on the show -- which debuts in September -- since Nicole Scherzinger will be filling Cheryl's seat on the judging panel.

Calls to Simon Cowell still haven't been returned.

beth

I was only going to watch it for Cheryl Cole. I saw a video on youtube and found her very charming.Good luck to her.

Helen Van Patterson Patton

I was born and raised down south. I watched a few of her interviews and had no problems understanding her. Perhaps this is because I've watched many British movies and have heard a variety of accents.

beth

A lot of people who went to the X factor auditions said they loved cheryl and could understand her. I personally think she has been stitched up by simon and Fox and used to get more publicity. I won be tuning in unless they bring cheryl back.

Bella

even though I find her annoying, she did not deserve to be hired & then fired because of her accent ....I mean she had an english accent when she was hired

Sarah

It has nothing to do with her accent most people can understand her, its the fact that she is a boring nobody and has no personality or talent, how people can say shes a great judge is beyond me, she made a mess last yr with the UK version if shes so great how comes she picked the worst people to go to the finals? she got a lot of backlash for that and most people in the UK cant stand her, she should of never been picked as a judge, they got rid of her because she wouldnt bring any viewers in, they need someone who is a big star here to do that, Nicole is not massively big but she is well known and was in a successful girl group. Yes shes pretty but so what its no point in just being a pretty face and you dont know what your doing. From the comments on here it seems like you have very low standards, if Cheryl was gonna be a big star here it would of happened yrs ago now, the fact is its just not meant to be.

ANNA

I found cheryl a complete breathe of fresh air compared to most of our American celebs. She is a nautral beauty who is not too skinny. I won be watching the US x factor anymore. Hope she is ok the way they have treated her is horrible.

Knowall

Who?

TTB

Never heard a complaint about accents when Harry Potter was making billions.

Nicole C

I think it's a cover up. Cheryl was given a choice: we can say it's your accent so people in the UK will feel sorry for you and take you back sympathetically or we can tell them the truth; you can't get a green card because you beat up and assaulted a black woman. Obviously Cheryl chose the accent.

Bea

"Lack of chemistry" between Paula and Cheryl??? That means... there has been a chick/bitch fight!!!

JJ

Thank Goodness. We went to the taping last week and her accent was more Scottish and British. Very hard to understand and didn't really give good comments. Was not a really good fit.

Ashley

I was at one of the LA auditions and I could understand her perfectly. She was actually my favorite of the judges! She and Paula seemed to get on just fine, too. I hate that sexist crap. Two ladies working together? They probably get on like cats and dogs! OH MY! Give me a break.

takakupo

WOW, this show is already disappointing. The producers of this show royally screwed themselves with this one if Cheryl opts out. It's fine if they show her during the auditions and people get online to react positively which might lead to her comeback in season 2. When all is said and done though, this will look like a big fat douche bag move on the producer's part.

STEVE

This is b.s. Cheryl Cole is b.a. Paula just didn't want someone upstaging her, and she's insane. This is sickening, and makes us look stupid on the world stage, yet again. My wife and I protest this act.

Elinore

Cheryl is someone who you actually want to see, accent be damned. Isn't Harry Potter one of the top movies? She has been doing this in the UK for awhile now after all. Paula is an addict I can't wait for her to tear down this show too.