Chris Rock

Defends Tracy Morgan, Then Backtracks

6/12/2011 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chris Rock came to the defense of fellow comedian Tracy Morgan after Tracy's homophobic rant became public ... then backed off his support a little, saying he doesn't "support it at all."

0612_chris_rock_traci_morgan_getty_tmz
Morgan's rant went down during a show in Nashville last week. Among his remarks, he said if his son ever came out to him, he "better talk to me like a man and not in a gay voice or I'll pull out a knife and stab that little n**ger to death."

Morgan has since apologized for the remarks, but Rock had Tracy's back on Friday when he tweeted, "I dont know about you, but I dont want to live in world where Tracy Morgan cant say foul inappropriate s**t."

But Rock got back online last night and explained that he hadn't heard everything Tracy had said, until now. He explained, "wow i get it that s**t wasn't called for and i don't support it at all. now can i please go to the tony awards without getting my ass kicked."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

David

Now that's some funny **** right here! "wow i get it that s**t wasn't called for and i don't support it at all. now can i please go to the tony awards without getting my ass kicked."

gonesi

I wasn't there, but I have a nephew who is gay. He would have been hurt, but I'm sorry to say he is use to it. It doesn't make it hurt less. What people don't understand is it is like a birth defect. You have a female mind in a man's body. would you make fun of a child with a birth defect? It is the same thing.

My nephew lives in a small town, goes to church, doesn't have a boyfriend for the families sake. Would you go through life without a mate to please society? My nephew does. I think gays should be shown some compasion, not made fun of.

tracker

blah,blah,blah...celebs will no do & say the right thing! you ARE all morons..tracy just because we americans have the freedom of speach doesn't mean that you should.so i say to you STFU.....

Hollywood

During one of his comedy shows, Chris Rock called for someone to kill Flavor Flav and Flav was really mad about that, so advocating violence against ANYONE is off-limits.

Ya don't have to be limp-wristed to be mad at Tracey Morgan's comments.

Trisha

"doug pound 6 minutes ago

You homophobes are so sensitive"

static

I guess Chris does want to live in a world where Tracy Morgan can't say foul inappropriate s**t.

Sonja

I think what got to people was a father saying that if his son acted gay he would stab him to death. In today's climate with so many CHILDREN committing suicide such a comment is not funny in anyone's world.

sweetbone

Whoaaaaa...let's be honest. there are some funny jokes about queers, ******s, red-necks, white trash, fat people, skinny people, short people, and STRAIGHT people.

Get real folks...George Carlin told jokes about cancer patients...he explained that jokes are just words....not actions. Wars, murder rates in our major cities, the economy, unemployment...etc...let's concern ourselves with real problems...not jokes about queers, blacks, white trash red necks..etc.

miso_soup

Chris Rock is a coward!

Why back down? He was right to defend free speech!

I'm gay and think Tracy Morgan is a disturbed individual who needs meds and therapy quick, but he still has the right to free speech.

Gays out there scaring Chris Rock from defending free speech are fascists and more dangerous than Tracy Morgan's comedy act.

Daks

gonesi, your nephew needs to get out of that small town. Anyone who describes being gay as a birth defect is still clinging to homophobic attitudes. It is a variation not a birth defect.

senex

back tracking a statement because you made a mistake ok.....but to do to just to save your own face is chicken **** Chris...typical.

Kid Creole

effin idiots - every one of them.

Emilio

Ironic stuff coming from a guy named Tracy...lol

Glory Bee

Agree with miso_soup. Totally. Don't like Tracy, at all, either. And even offensive comedy is free speech. Let's play a game. Substitute the name "George Bush" for "gay" and it would have been all over facebook, with many chortles of glee. Now substitute the name "Obama", and now we get howls of outrage and sceams of "racist". Now substitue the name "Sarah Palin", again, it would have gone viral with loud laughter. Now subsitute the name "Gloria Alred", oh wait, we'd ALL be laughing.

Derek

I think there are a lot of 'gay jokes' that are really hilarious and I'm gay and understand you really have to let a lot of jokes just roll off your back because honestly the reason most jokes are funny is because they're offensive to someone.

However, I have never heard a racist, homophobic, sexist etc joke that was funny that ended with "then I'd pull out a knife and stab that [insert inappropriate slur here] to death." It would be funny for him to say that his son should speak to him like a man or whatever but I think it's kind of depressing that he would say that about someone in his own family. Ouch.

This whole scenario should really be embarrassing for Tracy for the sheer fact that it makes him look like a terrible father, not because it's offensive to the LGTB community.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments