Republican Senator: 'F**k It,' Gays Should Marry

6/17/2011 11:24 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Republican New York State Senator Roy McDonald has SHATTERED party lines in support of gay marriage -- telling reporters, "F**k it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing."

0617_roy_mcdonald_bn

The battle rages on in New York to legalize gay marriage -- but McDonald threw his hat in the ring earlier this week ... with the greatest statement of all time, claiming, "You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing."

"You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, f**k it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing."

"I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this."

With McDonald's support, the gay marriage bill is only ONE vote shy of being made into law -- which would make New York the sixth state to legalize gay marriage.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Lyell Lyell

Good for him!!! His constituents should be proud to have a man like him representing them. It's refreshing to see someone who votes their own convictions and not the party line.

Mr. Clean Mr. Clean

Yes! "F*** it, do the right thing" Words to live by!

SUN SUN

The more America continues to turn away from God and his teachings; we will continue in a downward spiral. We are slowly elimintating God from our country, and look at how we are declining as a nation.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Lyell Lyell

Mr. Clean Mr. Clean

Yes! "F*** it, do the right thing" Words to live by!

SUN SUN

mary mary

Another coward buckling under and choosing GLAAD over GOD. Big eternal mistake.

Michelle Michelle

I love the idea of our country growing up, finally we may get to a point where everyone is really equal.

MIDNIGHT TOKER MIDNIGHT TOKER

well they should get the benefits but marriage? nahhhhhhh if everyone was gay we all would be dead....it takes a man and a woman to futher the population......

Kathy Kathy

A Republican who has a mind of his own!!! Never thought I would see that. Good for him!

Lynn Lynn

LOVE it! I wish more politicians would say f--- it and do the right thing!!

roberg roberg

Horrible of him to give up on his morals. He lost himself to being pushed around and bullied into a decision he is clearly not satisfied in making.

nikki

I believe everyone should have the same rights, but in my bible homosexuality is a sin. God does not like it. I have no right to tell some one they are going to hell for there sins. There sin is between themselves and God. Im trying to make sure my own life is going in the direction that it should be, not to make decissions about peoples personal lives, the goverment should follow in our footsteps and let us ALL live the lives we want to.

magicka

I'm growing weary of politicians who show such disdain for the public that they cannot manage to keep a civil tongue in their heads and refrain from rank language in public. It is a sign of laziness and disregard for the public whom they are elected to represent. Frankly, I don't wish to be represented by a lazy and profoundly foul mouthed crank.

Emerald

So gays are "equal" when government sanctions their relationships? Why is government involved in our choice of sex partners at all? That's the debate nobody seems to want to confront. Instead we pretend it is just about "open-minded" gays vs "backward redneck" conservatives. That is a fake debate. Something to make the arguments seem simple and in favor of gay marriage proponents. But both sides of the fake debate do not want to discuss the central issue. What is government's role in marriage? Why is it there at all? Deal with relationships with contract law and leave "marriage" to the religions.

UpNorthOutWest

So the topic he stands up and says, "I don't care what you think; this is what I'm doing," is GAY MARRIAGE? Not stopping the ridiculous deficit spending that threatens to destroy the entire country -- gays and straights included?

What an odd topic for a Republican to make a stand on. Gays statistically are something like 4% of the U.S. population. But by the way they control the media spotlight and the national agenda, you'd think they were 96%.

(Now prove yourselves idiots by labeling me a homophobe for saying something as obvious as that.)

IrrationalNumber

@MIDNIGHT TOKER: what planet are you living on, in which humans are in honest danger of extinction? And it's due to gay marriage? Pass that spliff dude, you've had enough.

Bill Mitchell

HOMOSEXUALITY IS A BIRTH DEFECT:

Now before anyone freaks out, hear me on this. From nature's perspective, the sole reason for sexual desire is to procreate. It is not to provide pleasure - sex is only pleasurable because nature wants us to make babies. Good food tastes good, spoiled food tastes bad - not because nature wants us to enjoy eating but because it wants us to avoid spoiled food.

Since homosexual sex cannot result in procreation, it cannot be the "intent" of nature. However, because it is not nature's intent does not me an it is not natural. Nature does not intend for anyone to be born blind or deaf, and yet nature allows it. It could be argued then that anything which nature allows yet does not intend is a birth defect.

In the same way that we do not discriminate against the blind or deaf, we should not discriminate against homosexuals. It is not a choice in the same way that being born blind is not a choice - it is natural - it is genetic. Being gay is no more a "sin" than being blind or deaf.

Should gays be allowed to marry? Of course. Should they be allowed to adopt? Of course. A child raised by gay parents is no more likely to be gay themselves than a child raise by heterosexual parents is more likely to be heterosexual. Parents who see have blind children and blind parents have children who can see.

The only requirement for a happy marriage and successful family is love. Period.

P.S., I am a conservative Republican.

LuluC

Shouldn't you be reading your bible instead of reading the Gospel According to Harvey? :)

Matt

This is actually pretty awesome. People need to stop using biblical scripture that is poorly translated (tova - look it up) to justify not giving rights to a segment of the population they don't like.

Hinky

He displays the level of class I would expect from s person who believes that homosexuals should be allowed to "marry."

roagie

there queet not gay,, gay means your happy , has nothing to do with sex,,it's not norman an will never be no matter how much you say it is ,, you poor mixed up people..

middleagedcrazy

Emerald about an hour ago

______________________

If we are 'modern' and 'progressive' government will get out of that kind of personal life. I think marriage was codified to protect children until they could be self-supporting.

Totally unscientific straw poll of 7 young people in my house about 'gay marriage' -- agreement only on marriage is a joke that only 'old-fashioned' people care about.

So, there it is, marriage is really irrelevant and passe.

Nature Freak

New York State and the Northeast still has some decent Republican politicians left. In the South where I live, just about all of the Republicans have gone over "to the dark side" so to speak.

Thank you State Senator Roy McDonald!

middleagedcrazy

From what I understand, one of the holdups in passing the bill was to protect the wedding industry from discrimination lawsuits if someone had a religious objection.

@ North out west -- Yep, quite a distraction. Let's play romance games rather than the real issues.

EvenKeel

Wonderful news!
And to all you God types out there, God didn't destroy the economy. The American government and the war in Iraq did.
One commenter stated that it was "sad to see him give up on his morals".
Sounds like he found his own morals and gave up on yours.

Vicky

I'm **PROUD** to be a Republican today. You GO Roy!! AWESOME! I'm so tired of religious fanatics JUDGING the crap out of everyone.