AMY WINEHOUSE

IN THE PROCESS OF ADOPTING

A GIRL BEFORE DEATH

7/31/2011 7:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Adoption
Amy Winehouse was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia, the girl and her grandmother told a British paper today.

The girl -- Dannika Augustine (seen above with Amy) -- says she met the singer during one of Amy's visits to the island over the past few years. She says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her.

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together. I loved her and she loved me ... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Dannika's grandmother Marjorie says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month. She told the paper, "Amy wanted to have a child so bad. If she had not died, there is no doubt she would be here in St Lucia completing the adoption process. There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her."

Both of Dannika's parents had signed off on the adoption.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

TD

Yeeeeeahh, that would have been "GREAT" !!

cocob

That is so incredibly sad it really is i have tears in my eyes right now.

RO

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "...This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Wait till she's older and can look back and see that this was probably the thing that saved her life. She may not realize it, but she's a very lucky girl.

We've all seen the video of Amy and Pete Doherty stoned out of their minds and playing with the baby hamsters - this girl would've been no better off than those baby hamsters.

Jason Sand

She couldn't take care of her self and she wanted to adopt a child!

get real

First, I dont believe it.. Second, Thats just what she needed. Sure Thing. LOL LOL

Ih8Taxes

Ummm,,yeaaahh, riiight...she was about to adopt her. Now, let's see how long it takes for some kind of lawsuit claiming she has a right to some financial support.

Sir Boo

As if she qualified to be a parent. What a bunch of crap.

some guy

Maybe Amy adopting a child could have saved her life. I don't have any kids, but I've seen alot of interviews where people say having children is such a life-altering experience. I believe caring about someone other than yourself can change you.

karlew

Hmm Hate to be cynical but I wonder if the next step will be a claim against the estate for support for the intended "daughter"? Also makes me wonder if it's better to live in poverty in St Lucia or live in entitled chaos in London?

Dennis Johnson

Yea right.

ihateskanks

Lol if Amy was your average not famous at all type of person the adoption agency would have told her hell no because of her drug and alcohol addiction. But beings she's famous I guess it's perfectly ok to let drug addicts adopt children. Unreal this world is. Next thing you know they'll let Casey Anthony adopt a kid

k2mae22

Who could possibly have approved the adoption?

some guy

Right... taking a kid away from poverty is a bad thing. Guess Amy was just doing it all for attention, amirite.

Liz

I dont want to sound mean but that little girls statement sounded real scripted in order to make it sound like she is entitled to some $$. I dont buy this story. Why didnt she mention it to um maybe her own parents?? Why all of a sudden this is coming out? BS

JLB

This doesn't say much about some of these adoption agencies. What ever happened to doing what's in a child's best interest?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments