AMY WINEHOUSE

IN THE PROCESS OF ADOPTING

A GIRL BEFORE DEATH

7/31/2011 7:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Adoption
Amy Winehouse was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia, the girl and her grandmother told a British paper today.

The girl -- Dannika Augustine (seen above with Amy) -- says she met the singer during one of Amy's visits to the island over the past few years. She says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her.

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together. I loved her and she loved me ... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Dannika's grandmother Marjorie says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month. She told the paper, "Amy wanted to have a child so bad. If she had not died, there is no doubt she would be here in St Lucia completing the adoption process. There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her."

Both of Dannika's parents had signed off on the adoption.

asdf

She would have been a great Mum!

Cujeaux

Totally agree with the baby hampster comment. What made her think she was responsible enough to take care of a young child? I love how the latest fame whore act is to adopt a disadvantaged child and act like Mother Teresa. So many idiots copied Angelina Jolie when they saw her getting praise and attention. Sandra Bullock seems to be the only one of them who actually cares for the child herself and takes the time to raise the child herself.

Scotty

Why comment now, except with hopes of being included in the will? Already a shady situation with living parents willing to give her up!

Canon

She was the real deal. Kelly Osbourne is a disgrace trying to get cheap publicity from her death. Osbourne is a fat pig. Her daddy's money paid for fashion stylists advice which she basically spews out on shows like the fashion police. Gee!, I looked at a color chart and know what a complementary color is.

smd

Why, so she'd have a companion to do drugs with....W T F ??

Canon

Better than doing drugs alone! Since the 60's od's are part of the package! Can't blame a person for wanting to escape from reality filled with tmz, reality tv, and ugliness in the media.

Canon

And when I say ugliness I don't mean craziness. I mean photogenic people being stupid enough to get their image displayed publicly.

Canon

Not photogenic that is.

Canon

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a beagle!

Raejean

Let's hope this isn't a preface to some kind of survivorship claim.

Otherwise, if the prospect of possibility adopting a child (although it appalls me that any agency would have considered her suitable to be an adoptive parent)didn't keep her straight, the child is probably better off as an almost-adoptee than as an orphan.

Randall

I don´t care of how good her intentions might have been ..giving her a child would have been just plain STUPID! whoever was in charge of that should be under supervision ...

Amy

I seriously doubt this. Who in their right mind would okay an adoption for a drug addicted train-wreck?

ollenga254

What is going to happen to the girl now?

gramercy808

I think that's one of the more human stories TMZ has ever ran. Try doing it when they're alive.

Crystal

who in their right mind would let her adopt a child?! she had enough problems without bringing a child into the mix! you can't use a child to save yourself,so the comment about "she wouldn't have done this if she had her" is totally wrong!!