AMY WINEHOUSE

IN THE PROCESS OF ADOPTING

A GIRL BEFORE DEATH

7/31/2011 7:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amy Winehouse Adoption
Amy Winehouse was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia, the girl and her grandmother told a British paper today.

The girl -- Dannika Augustine (seen above with Amy) -- says she met the singer during one of Amy's visits to the island over the past few years. She says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her.

Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together. I loved her and she loved me ... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me."

Dannika's grandmother Marjorie says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month. She told the paper, "Amy wanted to have a child so bad. If she had not died, there is no doubt she would be here in St Lucia completing the adoption process. There is no way she would have done what she did to herself if Dannika was with her."

Both of Dannika's parents had signed off on the adoption.

Susan

You're kidding, right? The people of St. Lucia must be desperate. Allowing a drug addicted alcoholic to adopt a child? Wonder how much money was going to exchange hands? This little girl has both parents and grandparents and they were going to allow this drunk to buy (opps..I meant adopt) her? Doesn't say much for the so called family. And Amy was going to buy (opps..I did it again) this child? To do what? So the little girl how to do drugs, be a drunk and make yourself look totally weirded out? Amy was at the end of her career, never thought she was that great of a singer, and her style was totally awful. Always wanted to brush her hair..lol. Amy's last album only sold at little over 300,000 which tells you that either she wasn't that great or the fans were sick and tired of her problems. Rest in Peace Ms. Amy, you do deserve a rest but I think this whole adoption thing is a scam being played and I presume next we will be hearing about Amy's estate (which probably wasn't that much)being sued for a promissary adoption trust for this child.

cindyloo

I don't believe she was going to adopt for a moment. She couldn't even take care of herself and an adoption agency would consider her? If so, that is scary. That child dodged a bullet.

Sunshine

Madonna and Angelina are still available.

dd

What, are they just giving children to anybody nowadays?

Everyones~A~Star

Amy was a genius and like a lot of creative geniuses a complete mental wreck. As talented as Amy was she was a junkie, its not a good life for a child, hopefully Amys estate will provide for her intended daughter, becuase there is something worse then a junkie mom and thats poverty. Amy was this kids chance to escape extreme poverty, maybe grandma and grandpa can heal by honouring Amys intentions and acting as "grandparents".

themillieblog

"I was going to be her daughter, give me money"

John Public

Yeah, Right! And Amy and I were secretly married. So I guess that make me her heir apparent.What kind of parents would approve of their kid being adopted? Reminds me of the way people used to pimp their kids out to Michael Jackson.

Hecate

Yes, its very trendy to adopt a chocolate baby, like the latest accessory for the rich and bored celebrities. I wish these damn dogooders would take care of all the unwanted kids in their own countries before the adopt the trash of Africa.

JLS

Yeah yeah, that Amy-she intended me to be her ummmm daughter here, riiiiiiiight? And that makes me her heir then, riiiiiiight?

This is a crystal clear attempt to make a claim for money from the estate, PERIOD.

rob

I forgot in a interview last year she did say that she wanted a black child! It's would have been great to see Amy adopt this little girl and I'm sure she would have turned her life around for her.

Nicoleasm

This is just downright scary. She was completely stoned out of her head in Serbia a few weeks before her death. Is this how a potential caregiver/mom is supposed to act?

AntiSocialForum.com

Other celebrity adopting a human pet

JLS

If true-and I doubt it, how scary is THIS ? Just what every child needs. A mother high on ecstacy and coke.

TMP

First of all NO country in their right mind would approve Amy to adopt ANYONE no matter how crappy their life was. Secondly, why does it seem that this girl and her parents are the ONLY ones who knew about this "adoption" in process?

I'm sorry, but this sounds like a ploy to get money or something. There is NO way that Amy Winehouse would ever get approved for a legal adoption! EVER. (And if she did, then there is seriously something wrong with the legal adoption system). That woman was a train wreak who couldn't care for herself... much less a child! I call major BS here somewhere.

Mokie

The road to hell is paved with good intensions. Amy's heart was in the right place, however, the her mind was not.